• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Hampshire or Vermont- Best base camp for June visit?

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are spending a week at Samoset in Maine and we are looking for a TS to use as a base camp for exploring New Hampshire and Vermont. We note a lot of reviews of TS visits during the winter ski season, thus this question about which TS would be best to use as a base camp to see the towns, villages and the offerings of New Hampshire and Vermont during our early summer visit.

Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated as we plan for our June 2016 New England adventure.:shrug::shrug:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think they are both good. We probably enjoyed New Hampshire slightly more because we stayed in the lakes region near Lake Winnipesaukee, but spent a day in the White Mountains and visited Mount Washington. We spent a day doing coastal NH and southern coastal Maine. So it was three very different experiences within a 2.5 hour or less drive.

In Vermont, we stayed at Smuggs and did the surrounding towns and they were more similar. Quite lovely and interesting too.

We stayed at Steele Hill in Sanborton, it was about 15 minutes away from Weir's Beach.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I agree with tschwa2 , Villages of Lake Winnipesaukee at Weir's Beach is where we stayed a few years ago. Very hilly there, though so if you have mobility problems may be better to stay at Cold Springs in Ashland, NH. Have a great time!
Silentg

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vermont only things we found good, pionsha mansion grounds have many original trees. The OLD well maintained
Building is period correct. State capital is about 4 hrs really nice for history buffs. Berkshires (spelling) was our back up for end of October. Going to smokey mountains. Could day trip NYC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Well, we have been going to Vermont and New Hampshire for many, many years and own a timeshare in both for 2 weeks summer (and one week spring/fall floater). I am partial to Vermont, but I do like New Hampshire a lot too. I am a member of the VT251 Club (goal to see very town in the state of VT) and have been through 181 towns so far, so I have seen a lot. There is a lot more to see and do than you would think if you research it out. My favorite area is the Lake Champlain region from Charlotte up through Burlington, St. Albans and the Champlain Islands. We stay at our Smuggs timeshare and we head out for everything from there for day trips. You can even take a trip into Canada from there- Montreal and Quebec Province. Stowe is close to Smuggs. The "Notch" is something to see and Mt. Mansfield. There are other timeshares in VT also. Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe. Jackson Gore in central VT, etc. Southern Vt has it's charm as well, but I think there is more to do up north. We have rented a cottage on Lake Champlain also through Home Away. You can even take a ferry across the lake to the NY Adirondacks. You might want to get travel books on both states so you can see how much there really is to do and see. An Explorer's Guide to New Hampshire and an Explorers Guide to Vermont are my favs.

You have to realize that in states like VT and New Hampshire- they are extremely rural and no matter what you have long drives to get to a lot of places.

My perspective is that New Hampshire is more rugged (think high mountains) and Vermont is "softer" (think farms) in terms of topography. Each has it's own vibe. I think it is actually a bit less expensive to vacation in Vermont than New Hampshire. NH has (high) fees for everything where as in VT there is a lot more to do for minimal or no fees. New Hampshire has no sales tax, but both VT and NH have high luxury taxes on lodging and restaurants, etc.

In New Hampshire, we own at Pollard Brook in Lincoln in the White Mountains. It is in a nice central location in the Western Whites near Franconia Notch, the Flume Gorge, Lost River, Echo Lake, Mount Washington (cog railway or auto road), the scenic "kanc" hgwy.(which you can take over to North Conway on the Maine border), etc. We have gone to Lake Winnepausauke from there many times. Some are still long drives though. Other resorts in Lincoln are South Mountain and Loon.

You can stay in one of the states and go into the other maybe for a day trip- but it is a drive and it really limits you as to where you can go and what you can see or do.

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
VT/NH

I'd figure out what you'd like to see, and then pick your timeshare based on that.

Our home resort is Cold Spring in Ashland, NH....so of course, I'm partial to that. It's about an hour into Norwich, VT (King Arthur Flour and the Montshire Museum) from there, not far to the lakes or the mountains of NH.....nice, central location.

We love Smuggs, too...have stayed there many times for spring break, and never been bored. We've stayed at Cathedral Ledge in Intervale (close to North Conway, but out of the hub-bub!), Eastern Slope Inn right in downtown North Conway, Mountain Sun or Inns at Waterville Valley (both in Waterville Valley, NH)...there are a ton of timeshare places in this area. Good luck as you figure it out!

And congrats on Samoset! We stayed there in April of this year for spring break. Even though it was NOT high season, my kids had a blast, and are begging to go back! So much to see in that area!

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
New Hampshire's white mountain area has a lot of things to do and see. Pollard Brook in Lincoln is about the best bet in NH. If you stay anywhere else, don't expect too much.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
New Hampshire's white mountain area has a lot of things to do and see. Pollard Brook in Lincoln is about the best bet in NH. If you stay anywhere else, don't expect too much.

I love Pollard Brook, but I also rate South Mountain in Lincoln also very high.