• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

If you had it all to do over again...would you still buy your Timeshare?

If you had it all to do over again...

• I would still buy my first Timeshare all over again

Votes: 176 61.5%
  • I would have bought a completely different Timeshare

Votes: 53 18.5%
  • I would not have bought a Timeshare at all

Votes: 51 17.8%
  • I dont even know why I am here, I've never bought a Timeshare.

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters

rcollinsny

TUG Member
Reaction score
No regrets whatsoever!!

We bought developer points at Wyndham on several occasions before we found TUG but since we are now renters, we gain many benefits by being Presidential Reserve owners at Wyndham. We can stay in all of the Presidential Reserve suites wherever we go, we get the maximum benefits afforded to the owners and it gives us a market edge over our rental competitors. With our developer discount and booking privileges, we get availability other renters can't get and we can price our rentals lower than the competition. So we have made and are making a lot of money with our rentals and a good portion of that comes from the advantages we have as developer owners. We bought a little over one million points from the developer and we have added more than six million more points from the resale market and we do rentals for other Platinum level Wyndham owners.
Now do not mis-understand what we are saying. We never expect the rental business to fully reimburse us for the monies spent with the developer but with it's advantages and the extensive travels we have made and will make, it has been money we do not regret spending!!

sbkim2782

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui bliss

I'm new to TUG. Great service! As a frenetic work pace, sole provider in 2001, I took my 2 teens to Maui after years of tending to dying parents. Vowed I'd never delve into the timeshare 'racket' - what I thought then given little facts and whiny testimonials from disappointed owner friends. I willingly sat through a tedious hard sell/ come on to get us the Lanai catamaran/BBQ day. (Yes, a novice then).

eBay wasn't around, or I hadn't clued in. We ended up LOVING Maui. The spacious, 2-unit lock off was perfect for kids and friends. I took many for Maui Thanksgivings from 01 - 09. Quickly learned must lock in dates approx March vs paying exorbitantly to 'secure' holiday weeks. I've also exchanged weeks (and lost some:(. Exchanges exceeded expectation. MF's are high now - but for 6 of us in Maui 6, 7 nights had Banyan paid in a few years (my math) Again, before eBay fluent, before TUG intel. What I noticed a few yrs ago - and mind you I'm no expert on 411 I'm now learning here - is the 'point' system seemed over-complicated, like grad-level math. I'm sure focused study eases one into efficient, affordable use. I bought a floating week for cash. The rep called repeatedly, asking if I'd upgrade, secure the holiday week. In 09 we traded/bought (can't recall) a few days to explore Kauai, then hop to Maui. Marriott Princeville Kauai (I think) was lovely & newer, but also much smaller than our layout. Banyan is definitely not Ritz, but we like the now familiar space. We know the island well; we don't need customer service. Four Seasons luxe is close, as is fave Makena Beach.

Yes, I'd buy again. My days are gone; points are on my to do list. Learning a ton here. Thanks Tuggers!

harvrte66

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First purchase was on Maui

Just curious.

not a discussion of resale vs retail...but knowing what you know now...would you still have bought your first Timeshare...or would you have made a different choice?

We have thoroughly enjoyed our time share experience. Would we have bought Kahana Falls again, probably not as each subsequent purchase upgraded such as Marriott and more often Starwood Westin. We overpaid it turned out for KH compared to nicer places but no regrets we had
many happy vacations there with family and friends.
As we always say a timeshare makes you go on vacation and that it never a bad thing.

DonnaD

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
Yes, I don't regret buying our timeshare

We bought our first timeshare at Club Regina in Cancun in 1997 from developer. We have upgraded and accumulated more points over time from both secondary market and developer so that now we have enough points in Raintree Vacation Club for 5 weeks in a one bedroom unit and we can double our use by paying an extra maintenance fee. That gives us up to 10 weeks of winter out of Ohio snow and we get to stay in a lovely condo looking out on beach. We have daily maid service and we are treated like royalty. Last year we had the penthouse in Puerto Vallarta and it was delightful. Bellman greeted us with "Welcome Home" upon our arrival. Our timeshare is our second home that we don't have to worry about when we are away from it. In 2014, we spent 9 weeks in PV, 2 weeks in Cabo, and we have 2 weeks in Cancun in October. What is not to love? We would not have known enough about timesahres or where to buy had we not been enticed by developer to hear about the program.

I call our trips, "the gift of time"...time to renew, refresh, relax as a couple. It is good for our marriage and our health. YES, I would do it again.:cheer::cheer::cheer:
DonnaD:whoopie::whoopie::whoopie:

arrowhead5m

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely would buy again

We bought our first timeshare from Marriott at Desert Springs in 1998. We purchased a blue week, smack dab in the middle of the summer where temperature average 110'. We usually lock-off the unit and trade with Interval. Our best Trade was an efficiency for a 1 bedroom at Marriott Beach Club during Christmas. Bigger unit, better season and premium location. Even though we bought from the developer we could never had the vacations we had for what we paid for our blue week. :cheer:

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I put in a bid on ebay, never thinking I'd get my timeshare in Orlando. I ended up winning, but there was a special assessment, which I didn't understand. I overpaid by a few hundred dollars. We never went there, but got great exchanges so I'm happy that I got into timesharing and I'm happy that I bought resale, but I might have done a bit better if I'd educated myself better.

Overall, no real regrets.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
No regrets!

We own 3 weeks at the same small resort in NH. We won one week, and purchased the other two at very low rates. We have 4 children, and love that we all fit! We can cook, we have space to hang out, and the location is now familiar....just like having a little homecoming every time we go. We also trade sometimes, and take advantage of the extra vacations/last call weeks. We've been able to stay in much nicer places than we'd have afforded any other way. No regrets at all!

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
We loved our Tahoe timeshare for about 25 years buying and selling same resort twice.:whoopie:
I would not buy any timeshare now because after spending about nine years on these forum sites I would run from buying!:ponder:
So many bad comments from many owners on these sites and seems most not good. Between all the talk about timeshare scams and most is true and rude comments to others from what seems to be many no-it- all owners I would just not have the interest I once did. :crash:

These forums once gave some good and helpful information on timeshares that did make families think about how nice owning would be but not so much last few years.:wall:

These forums seem to have members racing to the bottom trying to best each other on knocking resorts and owning more than what is still good about owning the right timeshare.

Phill12:shrug:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
We loved our Tahoe timeshare for about 25 years buying and selling same resort twice.:whoopie:
I would not buy any timeshare now because after spending about nine years on these forum sites I would run from buying!:ponder:
So many bad comments from many owners on these sites and seems most not good. Between all the talk about timeshare scams and most is true and rude comments to others from what seems to be many no-it- all owners I would just not have the interest I once did. :crash:

These forums once gave some good and helpful information on timeshares that did make families think about how nice owning would be but not so much last few years.:wall:

These forums seem to have members racing to the bottom trying to best each other on knocking resorts and owning more than what is still good about owning the right timeshare.

Phill12:shrug:

I think it's sad that you're feeling this way. While I agree with you that there are posters with negative agendas, in my view there are many more who freely and happily share their positive experiences. But isn't that the nature of all online communities? Please don't let the bad vibes that are sometimes present on this and other sites diminish the 25 years of experience you've had using and enjoying your timeshares! And please know that because people like you have shared your experiences, people like me were made to realize that timesharing can be a very good vacation lifestyle. :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think it's sad that you're feeling this way. While I agree with you that there are posters with negative agendas, in my view there are many more who freely and happily share their positive experiences. But isn't that the nature of all online communities? Please don't let the bad vibes that are sometimes present on this and other sites diminish the 25 years of experience you've had using and enjoying your timeshares! And please know that because people like you have shared your experiences, people like me were made to realize that timesharing can be a very good vacation lifestyle. :)

I agree with you Sue, but I don't understand how online comments change how anyone feels about their own timeshare. Our favorite timeshare (Kauai Beach Villas) gets mixed reviews on TUG, but we absolutely love it, and even if everyone else on TUG hated it…that would not change our opinion, because it's based on our own experience there, and our own taste - not pubic opinion.

On the contrary, I think it is very positive if TUG causes newbies to look at timesharing with a critical eye, because it balances out the baloney churned out by the developers, and helps them to make better buying decisions.

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
I voted for #1 as we have no regrets after over 30 years going back to Maui every year. We love the islands but like it better in the spring as it is too hot and humid now.

We bought our second timeshare when we came home from Maui and love it too. If it were fixed week/units, we would buy more weeks as we love the ocean so much but renting is the next best thing so do that instead.

bobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely we got our monies worth and still do after buying from a developer 35 years ago. The resort was in initial design, converting from a ski inn to timeshares. We paid $6000 for a green prime week (green RCI was higher than red, being things like Washington's Birthday, Xmas, etc.) for 20 years use. Then we converted several years later after a sales call to a larger lock out forever for another $3,000. The resort has been very well run by the homeowners board, so maintenance is about $550 per lockout unit of 1BR/4. I can use one and trade the other I own. This resort used to get great scores on trade tests and each deposit is worth 24 trade units. We only had one glitch when the owners sold out and it was discovered they had not paid past taxes. The family had wonderful ski holiday vacations before they grew up. Now we have great trade vacations.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
No we don't regret buying the timeshare, but we do regret not thinking about the future a little more and not getting the 2 bedroom. We paid around $2,500. from the developer (pre-construction) in the early 80's. We had been on several "tours" and felt we had a pretty good idea of the concept. That was a lot of money for us back then but not a financial hardship. We paid cash!

We bought where we wanted to vacation for the foreseeable future (right on the beach in St Augustine Beach, FL). We should have paid slightly more for the 2 bedroom unit because 3 children later, the 1 bedroom was a little small!:eek: The kids are now all adults so the 1 bedroom is fine again. We always look forward to our annual Easter holiday on the beach.

~Diane

avad88

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Only 1 regret

Our only regret is that we didn't buy our first timeshare earlier. We bought resale 12 years ago when our youngest was in college and we wish we had owned timeshares when our children were younger. It is great to be in a resort with kitchens, room to stretch out, great amenities, etc., and we now avoid hotel rooms. We have had many great vacations in the past 12 years, and we are now trading weeks and using points to "snowbird" in the winter in FL.
Yes, even though compared to later purchases, we paid too much for our first one (pre-e-bay), we enjoyed it and gave it to our son. We learned from TUG and purchased subsequent timeshares smarter and cheaper.
We are happy owners thus far. When we can no longer travel, we will sell or give our weeks to family members or other TUGGERS.
Ava

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
No we don't regret buying the timeshare, but we do regret not thinking about the future a little more and not getting the 2 bedroom. We paid around $2,500. from the developer (pre-construction) in the early 80's. We had been on several "tours" and felt we had a pretty good idea of the concept. That was a lot of money for us back then but not a financial hardship. We paid cash!

We bought where we wanted to vacation for the foreseeable future (right on the beach in St Augustine Beach, FL). We should have paid slightly more for the 2 bedroom unit because 3 children later, the 1 bedroom was a little small!:eek: The kids are now all adults so the 1 bedroom is fine again. We always look forward to our annual Easter holiday on the beach.

~Diane

We regret not buying a 3 bedroom even though we are 60 and 58! Our 2 bedroom is supposed to sleep 8, but realistically the sleeper sofa is useless for other couples our age we would like to invite - uncomfortable and no privacy- the other bedroom has a queen and 2 twins, but we have one unmarried son and that is it. So if he visits with us-which he usually does- the other two beds are useless as well. We would like to invite other couples but the 2 bedroom unit just doesn't cut it.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Our only regret is that we didn't buy our first timeshare earlier. We bought resale 12 years ago when our youngest was in college and we wish we had owned timeshares when our children were younger. It is great to be in a resort with kitchens, room to stretch out, great amenities, etc., and we now avoid hotel rooms. We have had many great vacations in the past 12 years, and we are now trading weeks and using points to "snowbird" in the winter in FL.
Yes, even though compared to later purchases, we paid too much for our first one (pre-e-bay), we enjoyed it and gave it to our son. We learned from TUG and purchased subsequent timeshares smarter and cheaper.
We are happy owners thus far. When we can no longer travel, we will sell or give our weeks to family members or other TUGGERS.
Ava

We've said so many times that we are so glad we bought our t/s when our oldest child was only 4. My children have grown up vacationing like this. Wouldn't have it any other way! And now, we are looking forward to traveling outside of the constraints of the school calendar. Our youngest is only 8, so it will be awhile...but the day WILL come!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We've said so many times that we are so glad we bought our t/s when our oldest child was only 4. My children have grown up vacationing like this. Wouldn't have it any other way! And now, we are looking forward to traveling outside of the constraints of the school calendar. Our youngest is only 8, so it will be awhile...but the day WILL come!
Almost the same story here. Our daughter was 5 when we bought our timeshare, and we have enjoyed numerous fun vacations that we probably wouldn't have even thought about were it not for owning our HGVC week. We bought our first week on the resale market, so we have had no regrets whatsoever.

Kurt

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Now that many of our MF's have nearly doubled since we first purchased, they're not looking as good as they did when we originally purchased them. Before long I'm afraid I'll need to begin to see about getting rid of a few more.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tough Question: Alii Kai II as managed by NaPali Kauai Club -beautiful resort, lousy management by the Club continually caused lotsa problems and headaches) Bottom line: 51% Yes

Alii Kai II as managed by Grand Pacific 100% yes

Maui Schooner 100% yes

Point at Poipu as managed by Embassy 100% yes

Point at Poipu as manged by Diamond 100% no

Sterling

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Now that many of our MF's have nearly doubled since we first purchased, they're not looking as good as they did when we originally purchased them. Before long I'm afraid I'll need to begin to see about getting rid of a few more.

Just curious -- have you tracked what hotel rates have done in that same time period? Do you think your MF's have outpaced other travel options?

I first bought in 2006, and my MFs have gone up probably about 25% since then. Back then at the hotels that we generally used, I could get weekend rooms for around $60-70/night. This year it has been difficult to find anything under the $110 mark, and are averaging around $120/night. So overall, my MFs have been increasing at a lower rate in this small sample.

Kurt

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Just curious -- have you tracked what hotel rates have done in that same time period? Do you think your MF's have outpaced other travel options?

I first bought in 2006, and my MFs have gone up probably about 25% since then. Back then at the hotels that we generally used, I could get weekend rooms for around $60-70/night. This year it has been difficult to find anything under the $110 mark, and are averaging around $120/night. So overall, my MFs have been increasing at a lower rate in this small sample.

Kurt

I agree with this. Anytime I think that our maintenance fees are out of line I just refresh my memory with what it would cost me to use VRBO for a private rental or look at the hotel sites, especially in Hawaii. I needed to add one night in Hawaii and the cheapest place I could find was just under $200; more if I wanted to stay in the same timeshare.

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
Back then resales were through Realtors like Stroman, or Holidaygroup for 20-30% of retail. Hardly any private party sales, even on TUG, and no $1 eBay weeks.

So, by today's standards, I overpaid, but have had decades of great vacations in wonderful places we wouldn't have gone otherwise.
Jim

Wow! This comment brought back memories! I was thinking about this topic the other day. When we bought our timeshares, there was no eBay and no $1.00 timeshares. We could have paid far less years later, but we would have missed out on so many great vacations if we had bought ten years later, so no regrets on timing.

Things have changed so much over the years. I find it a struggle at times to keep up on the latest strategies to maximize the usage of my three timeshares. I started out with RCI, then after several years ditched them for II, then rented one of the units for a few years, later tried using a couple of the independent exchange companies, and now am just using RCI and II again.

Many trades that used to be easy have become difficult from what I'm reading from other TS owners. Lots of resorts have been gobbled up by larger groups like Wyndham/DRI/Shell etc. and they trade mostly among themselves, limiting the pool of weeks available through the exchange companies. Marriott is switching to the Destination Club format. Everything is constantly changing and it can be a little disconcerting.

I feel I have gotten my money's worth out of my three TS even though I didn't get them for free. :D I will continue to change with the times, as much as possible, and try to get the most benefit I can from what we own.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me I'm a new timeshare owner (relatively only 2 years or so) and bought in resale for each one. So far we are enjoying it. It's changed my stress level on vacations (having the space so the kids aren't going nuts, having the kitchen/laundry). Having kids made "vacations" fun but somewhat stressful.

It's made my vacations into vacations again. Will maintenance fees go up? probably, but so have hotel rates. Running the numbers I've made up the upfront cost on two (Marriott and Worldmark) of the three timeshares (the third being disney) I've bought when compared to a hotel room (which is what we were doing before timesharing). I guess time will tell. I'm just glad I found tug and was able to tap into the resale market.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This information is according to the U.S. Lodging Industry Key Statistics study on the average hotel nightly cost.

In 2013 the nightly cost was $110.53

In 2000 the nightly cost was $85.99

In 1986 when we first purchased our timeshare the nightly cost was only $54.78.

In 1986 our timeshare m/f was less than $200 per year for a two bedroom unit. The project year m/f for 2015 is over $1500.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
i've only been doing this for 4 years or so but still happy at this point.

i might be a little tempted if i were doing it over to buy in hilton head (a couple of trades to hilton head have been very positive) but no real regrets.