• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham vs. Bluegreen

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who own both, or for those that know anything about both, what advantages does Bluegreen have over Wyndham? Which system do you like better? Which seems to have the cheaper fees?

TIA

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who own both, or for those that know anything about both, what advantages does Bluegreen have over Wyndham? Which system do you like better? Which seems to have the cheaper fees?

This is something like comparing apples to oranges, no?

Isn't BlueGreen only a "points based" system, in several different "trusts"? I know that BlueGreen also manages some timeshare properties as well. We used to own a fixed week at one such BlueGreen-managed place in FL, but we never had (...and never wanted) any actual involvement or association with the BlueGreen points system.

Wyndham has both deeded fixed unit / week ownerships and points contracts in their system, as well as a "hybrid" between the two (i.e., converted fixed weeks).
We owned just such a "hybrid" Wyndham week, but dumped it. We used both the underlying deeded week itself or the associated 183k points at one time or another.

There is of course no correlation whatsoever between the two systems' entirely different points "currencies".

In either instance, maintenance fees are determined by the underlying individual property and not by the overarching "system", no? Accordingly, I'm inclined to believe that the very broad question of 'which system has cheaper fees?' cannot be easily or accurately answered without actual identification of specific properties. :shrug:

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Like any other currency of the world -- it depends on WHERE you want to vacation and the level of cost to stay. In my opinion.

Only own within the Wyndham & Shell & VRI resort families ... Yee, own DVC, too --- forgot that one (small points package). Those systems are different - fixed deeded weeks, points, and converted fixed weeks (VRI and Wyndham).

And I definitely use them in very different ways and locations, for different reasons. Now, if I relocate from East Coast to West Coast, I will be altering my ownerships GREATLY. If I stop travelling to the lower east coast of Florida, I would dump a good bit of my ownership. If my status level changed with Wyndham or Wyndham increased its MF structure, I would change a good bit of that ownership structure (not totally leaving it).

Very personal and tailored to my interests ...

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Wyndham and Worldmark and like them both. I dont know anything about Bluegreen except that I own a fixed week at a Bluegreen resort, and its a really nice, well managed property

Folks that I know that own Bluegreen like it a lot

I think the differenc would come down to the resorts. I wanted Washington so there was really only one choice, Wyndham. Take a look at the resorts and then decide.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I own both. All Bluegreen points are in a trust. I own a small points contract and 2 fixed weeks.

Bluegreen points MFs are calculated similar to Wyndham's CWA... based on the trust fund... and there are a few trust funds. Mixing trust funds is not a good idea because some have a base fee. And if you have multiple contracts in the same trust, there's only one base fee. There is also an annual fee (currently $129) that's paid separately.

Where Wyndham's program fee is calculated based on number of points owned, Bluegreen's fee is fixed per trust fund (base fee). I pay way too much in program fees with Wyndham.... too many points.

Bluegreen doesn't have as many locations as Wyndham... at least not where I tend to travel. One key difference is bonus time. Bluegreen allows you to pay cash for nightly stays within (I think) 45 days. If you buy resale, which I did, bonus time is only allowed where your points are deeded, so if you're interested in bonus time, buy points for that resort. I don't think Bluegreen discounts points at any time.

Also in order to borrow future years you need to pay MFs for that future year... Oh and Bluegreen MFs are paid yearly, not monthly.

Personally I like Wyndham better... Possibly because I've owned Wyndham over 15 years, so I'm more familiar and I have lots more points.

Also Bluegreen has recently made a few changes that have many owners enraged. One change is a limit to how many reservations you can have at one time per region. This was implemented before owners were notified. Some owners received letters to get under 10 reservations by October or they will start cancelling some.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
My understanding is if you buy bluegreen resale there are a lot of restrictions. You really need to know about these before you even think of buying bluegreen.

Wyndham is more straight forward but since I own a deed based Shell by Wyndham I can't say anymore about Wyn

Good Luck

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
My understanding is if you buy bluegreen resale there are a lot of restrictions. You really need to know about these before you even think of buying bluegreen.

The research I've done so far has not shown this to be true. The only restriction I've seen so far is that the resale buyers can only get bonus time in the resort where they own and not system wide.

If there are others please enlighten me so I can stop looking for points now.

There are other advantages to buying retail from BG, to gain some of the status levels, but nothing I've seen worth that kind of serious money.

I think it comes down to resort location. Where I'd like to vaca more, Michigan, W doesn't have a presence and BG does. There are also a couple more BG resorts in driving distance. Short stays w/o paying HK fees is also nice. And did I mention no transaction fees with BG.

got4boys

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own both point systems and both have their pluses and minuses. Note: the comparison below are based off resale points.

What differs are the following:

Reservations: Wyndham gives you 1 reservation transaction per 77,000 points, but you can make as many reservations in that same day. Bluegreen - unlimited. (right now - max of 10 due to new policies just release - cannot have more than 10 reservations at one time)

Housekeeping: Wyndham gives you the same amount of housekeeping credits for the amount of points you own. If you own 210,000 points, you would get 210 housekeeping credits. Bluegreen - unlimited - no housekeeping fees. Wyndham housekeeping credits would matter if you book multiple smaller vacations in a year - using your housekeeping credits you can run out of housekeeping credits before you run out of points.

Guest Certificate fees: Wyndham gives you 1 per year. Any additional is $99. Bluegreen is no charge when added on to reservation. To change it later on is $50.

Cancellation Policy: Wyndham is free if reservation is at least 15 days out. Bluegreen is $50 if you cancel online. Period. You can get your points back if at least 10 days out. The good about Bluegreen is that you can book at a reduced rate cash cost 45 days (Bonus Time) out based off size of units at your home resort if you buy resale if available. $79 per night plus taxes for a two bedroom. $69 per night plus taxes for a one bedroom. $89 per night plus for a three bedroom.

RCI Account: Both are included in your club fee. Wyndham you need to deposit your points and use a reservation transaction credit. Bluegreen - you reserve the week that you want through RCI or have an OGS and once confirmed, the points are then deducted from your account.

Maintenance Fees: Wyndham depends on the home resort and their fees. Bluegreen depends on Trust Fund. Trust Fund E is less expensive if you own more than 12,000 points per year.

Points at End of Year: Wyndham points - you would have to deposit into RCI and use a reservation transaction. You can avoid this if you pool your points before your next year for a fee. Bluegreen you can save your points until end of next year for a fee (but cannot use during High Red time) or convert to Choice Privileges points for a fee and use at Choice Hotels - which you have to use in 3 years. If you saved your points and cannot use them you can still used them for RCI exchanges 6 months out.

Overall for shorter stays, I prefer Bluegreen. For example I have confirmed week at a Marriott Vacation Club property and due to airfare I will need a room the night before. I booked a Bluegreen property for two nights and overlapped 1 night. My cost for a two bedroom in maintenance fees is $95 for both nights.

Last edited:

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned Bluegreen Points, but not Wyndham. I have stayed at numerous resorts from both systems, and have just purchased an EOY Fixed week unit (i.e. non points) at a Bluegreen managed resort (very cheap mf's for this unit which I will use for trading with one of the independents).

I have chosen not to buy into the Wyndham system for all of the reasons mentioned - primarily non-stop nickel and dime fees, and the fact that I have been able to rent from mega point owners at cheaper than maintenance fees. I could not, however, do so for a high season reservation, so if I wanted a recurring prime season reservation at a particular Wyndham resort, I would have little choice but to buy..

I liked the Bluegreen bonus time availability, and generally the resorts were pretty good, though they did not measure up to Wyndham quality. That all said, I no longer own Bluegreen points primarily because the resorts are not where I want to vacation.

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
My BFF and I exchange usage of resorts (she owns Bluegreen) and I own Wyndham, we both agree that we prefer the Wyndham properties 'look and feel' over Blue Green.

Although, BlueGreen is differen the Wyndhams we've stayed at seem upperscale?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are three main locations that we travel to almost every year. There is at least one Wyndham and a Bluegreen resort at each location. I was mostly concerned about fees such as guest fees, housekeeping fees, etc.

There's a lot of good information here. Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been watching some Bluegreen ebay timeshares lately and I'm wondering if someone can compare these two items. They are both for Big Cedar.

I see that the 5K has an underlying summer week and the 25K is in spring, but why would anyone want a 5K contract for that price and those fees?

25K points (MFs are $1587) sold for $622

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191337027122?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

5K points (MFs are $581) sold for $455

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181523979312?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I've been watching some Bluegreen ebay timeshares lately and I'm wondering if someone can compare these two items. They are both for Big Cedar.

I see that the 5K has an underlying summer week and the 25K is in spring, but why would anyone want a 5K contract for that price and those fees?

25K points (MFs are $1587) sold for $622

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191337027122?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

5K points (MFs are $581) sold for $455

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181523979312?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Perhaps for the peace of mind of being guaranteed a summer week without having to fight it out with all of the other BG owners?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps for the peace of mind of being guaranteed a summer week without having to fight it out with all of the other BG owners?

Thanks. I thought about that. 5K is just a few days. Also, I've seen other 5K contracts go for similar pricing in the past few months. I thought maybe it was a cheap way to get bonus time included as extra value?

This summer 5K went for $732 recently.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluegreen-B...81502560201?pt=Timeshares&hash=item2a426547c9

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Lots of good info in several of the replies...they'd make for good "stickies"!

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Thanks. I thought about that. 5K is just a few days. Also, I've seen other 5K contracts go for similar pricing in the past few months. I thought maybe it was a cheap way to get bonus time included as extra value?

This summer 5K went for $732 recently.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluegreen-B...81502560201?pt=Timeshares&hash=item2a426547c9

5K would actually be a full week in a studio, but more importantly you get to book that underlying week and unit without competition from other owners.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
5K would actually be a full week in a studio, but more importantly you get to book that underlying week and unit without competition from other owners.

Ok, I see. So, being able to book that underlying studio week is probably the main selling point then. The MFs per point for the 25K contract are substantially less, but wouldn't have the guaranteed booking for that week. Interesting.

I didn't consider using a studio since we would need at least a 2BR. The studios at Big Cedar are pretty nice though.

Edit: Being from the Wyndham side, I also didn't consider that it would be that difficult to book a Big Cedar summer week. I realize it's hard to get, but I figured if I tried early enough I'd get something in the summer. Maybe not. I've seen some posts on TUG expressing how difficult the summer timeframe, but I have always been successful when I've tried to exchange there in the past - including summer.

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would a Bluegreen owner (that does not own a Big Cedar) be willing to do us (non-owners) a huge favor and give us a report on the current availability for June or July at Big Cedar? I'm very curious about that.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nothing at Big Cedar.. Only Falls Village availability.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes. I even checked for just 2 days