• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need advice - Marriott wanna be

jqg1956

TUG Member
Reaction score
New to this site, but not new to ts; however, I have a question about MFC - does a silver week have any value other than to use it yourself? I'm contemplating a purchase because I own a fixed week on St. John, and thought I might tie it into two weeks - one on STT and one on STJ; however, if I don't want to do that every year, would a silver week do me any good elsewhere for warm climates during a NE winter? Probably sound like a dope, but while I own several weeks, I use them all at my home resorts and haven't traded/exchanged in the past. Thanks.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
No need for apologies. You're probably a happy timeshare owner because you've bought where you like to go.

MFC Silver weeks will be weaker traders but if used wisely can get some nice trades, depending upon your needs and flexibility. If you are looking for 2 BR resorts in the Caribbean or Hawaii during the winter, you will likely only be successful during Flexchange (last minute trades less than 59 days before travel). If only 2 of you are traveling and you can manage with a 1 BR or a studio, you'll meet with greater success.

That said, if you book a higher demand Silver week you might be pleasantly surprised, as long as you aren't expecting 2 BR trades at prime properties during peak season (outside of Flexchange).

Keep in mind that, if you can make last minute plans, owning a Marriott and having internal trading preference is a big advantage, and you can get some great trades that way.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I think that Silver season at Frenchman cove would be one of the strongest "silver season" traders in all Marriott. Please remember that the marriott season is not tied into the trading power which II uses. There are many weeks in Gold season which out "trade power" lessor platinum weeks.

What is the price of a silver season FC vs one of the marriott TS in hawaii ( resale of course)?

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a silver week at FC and traded 2008 useage for Waiohai (not in flexchange) and received an AC in addition! I agree that it is a very strong silver trader. We once owned a "blue" week (= to silver) at DSV II and traded that for Kauai Beach Club and again for Waiohai, neither in flexchange. This is what mystifies me about II...it is so unpredictable at times. Those trades were a few years ago, so who knows now.

Outside of flexchange not sure you could get a two bedroom in high season in the Caribbean. Perhaps a 1 bedroom outside of flexchange.

jqg1956

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies - sounds like it might work for me - hoping that with some sharp negotiating to get the week for $6000 - does that sound reasonable?

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
With this economy, who knows what you can find. On a personal note, I will be very disappointed if you get it for only $6000.00 since we paid more than double that pre-construction.

However, good luck to you.