• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paying Marriott MF With MRP Visa Card

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please, what is the latest on this ?

I have read through this thread, FlyerTalk, Marriott Insider, the Points Man and still remain unclear as to whether or not I would get 5 points per dollar spent on MFs if I used my Marriott Rewards Visa.

Thank you all for your continued guidance and patience. I do read through the threads before posting, but with ongoing changes with the rules, I'd like to ask "those in the know".

Mahalo !

ETA: I just broke down and got a Marriott Rewards Visa with this:

5 POINTS per every $1 spent at over 3,800 Marriott® properties*
2 POINTS per $1 spent on airline tickets when purchased directly with the airline, and at car rental agencies & restaurants*
1 POINT per $1 spent on purchases anywhere else the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card is accepted*

†No Foreign Transaction Fees/Annual Fee & Pricing: Please see Pricing and Terms

* OFFER DETAILS

Free Night Stay E-Certificate
Points Required for a Free Night Stay
Anniversary Free Night Stay E-Certificate
50,000 Bonus Points
Earning Rewards
Elite Status/Elite Credits
Elite Credit for Spend

-

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Yes, we've always gotten the bonus MRP's when paying MF's with the Marriott VISA. My resorts haven't billed yet for 2015 but I haven't seen anything that says things could change this year. :)

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we've always gotten the bonus MRP's when paying MF's with the Marriott VISA. My resorts haven't billed yet for 2015 but I haven't seen anything that says things could change this year. :)

YAY ! 15,000 MRPs ! :cheer:

I've read some nebulous posts out there, but have always trusted info from Tuggers.

Thanks.

-

Last edited:

dougef

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Grande Vista

+1. Always get the 5x points on anything charged from Marriott, including MF's.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
We usually pay our MF’s with the Marriott CC as well. Unfortunately though, although we pick up additional bonus points, it also creates fairly substantial credit card fees, (for the resort), that are passed back to the owners, (in their maintenance fees). There also may be additional operating costs tacked onto the credit card fees as well.
So, in some respects “we’re paying for what we get.”

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually pay our MF’s with the Marriott CC as well. Unfortunately though, although we pick up additional bonus points, it also creates fairly substantial credit card fees, (for the resort), that are passed back to the owners, (in their maintenance fees). There also may be additional operating costs tacked onto the credit card fees as well.
So, in some respects “we’re paying for what we get.”

Need to ask and am not challenging your assertion, but aren't these separate entities, separate businesses ?

Teasing out the relationships amongst Visa, MVCI and the hotel business - how is this passed back to the TS owners ?

Thanks.

-

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Need to ask and am not challenging your assertion, but aren't these separate entities, separate businesses ?

Teasing out the relationships amongst Visa, MVCI and the hotel business - how is this passed back to the TS owners ?

Thanks.

-

Vendors pay a fee to Visa, MC, etc when they run a credit card. That is well known. The association passes those fees on to the TS owners as a line item on the MF budget. If you take a look at the budget for your resort, you will see that line item. It doesn't show up on the bill, only in the itemized budget. For our 2015 Harbour Lake budget, it is about $17. Now the fee associated with us paying our near $1200 bill would be far more than $17, but it seems that the resorts balance this fee out across all owners. So even if you pay by check, you are still paying the credit card fee.

For us, $34 is worth the extra 12,000 MRPs we will get from paying our fees with the MR Chase Credit Card.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
It's a bit OT to say this, but your real challenge with the Marriott Rewards credit card will be how to use the Anniversary Free Night Stay E-Certificate. The card has an annual fee, but the annual fee is a no-brainer if you can get sufficient value from the Free Night certificate.

I've been a cardholder for quite a number of years, and receive the category 1-5 certificate each year (good for 6 months from the issue date). I used to be able to use it for some very nice hotel stays. But with category inflation, the number of desirable hotels that remain in category 5 or below has decreased. So getting a redemption that's a real winner using that certificate is getting harder.

Your other challenge will be that 6 month timeframe for the E-certificate. Since I'm assuming you just signed up recently, your 6 months will run from October through March. That's great if you normally plan travel for this time of year, but will make it harder to use if you like to travel in the summer. You should know that there are ways to extend the certificate (so that you could use it for a summertime redemption). You'll find the info on how to do this with some web searching. The answer is going to be on FlyerTalk (in the Marriott Forum) or possibly here on TUG.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
And don't forget all things charged to your room during your stay. Depending on the card you have, you get up to 13 times (correct me is that's not exact) on what you charge during your stay. For us at MOC, that would include room taxes, Starbucks, cabana rentals, bar bill, food and anything that can be charged to your room at any of the shops. It adds up...

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Every year the MF's packages include a blurb about how it costs the HOA so much to process credit card payments, but as long as they allow it we'll continue to pay using the Marriott VISA. The Elite Nights and MRP's accrual is valuable enough to make our share of the processing costs well worth it. Without those accruals we wouldn't use the credit card to pay MF's.

About the annual Free Night cert that comes on the anniversary, we also have a difficult time using it because of our usual travel timing and the limited number of hotels in that category that are nearby. We used to treat ourselves to a downtown Boston night after a day of Christmas shopping but the hotels we like have all gone to a Cat 6 or higher. I haven't had any luck when I've asked simply for an extension beyond the six months but quite a few people say that they've done it so I'll keep trying. One suggestion I haven't done yet but will next time, is to ask for the cert to be extended for a specific date/property.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
And don't forget all things charged to your room during your stay. Depending on the card you have, you get up to 13 times (correct me is that's not exact) on what you charge during your stay. For us at MOC, that would include room taxes, Starbucks, cabana rentals, bar bill, food and anything that can be charged to your room at any of the shops. It adds up...

Actually you can get 27 to 30 times up to $2500 based on your status level by buying gift cards when they have the winter promotion. It usually is done in December. The cards don't expire and you can use them for any Marriott purchase except MFs.

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
Ritz-Carlton Visa for MF?

Along the same line. Has anyone had success using the Ritz-Carlton Visa to pay for MVCI maintenance fees? It has the same 5 points for each $1 spent at Marriott and Ritz-Carlton properties.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
Last edited:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually you can get 27 to 30 times up to $2500 based on your status level by buying gift cards when they have the winter promotion. It usually is done in December. The cards don't expire and you can use them for any Marriott purchase except MFs.

Can you explain this, please? I have the visa and have seen the sales on cards. But I can't figure out the value.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
It's a bit OT to say this, but your real challenge with the Marriott Rewards credit card will be how to use the Anniversary Free Night Stay E-Certificate. The card has an annual fee, but the annual fee is a no-brainer if you can get sufficient value from the Free Night certificate.

I've been a cardholder for quite a number of years, and receive the category 1-5 certificate each year (good for 6 months from the issue date). I used to be able to use it for some very nice hotel stays. But with category inflation, the number of desirable hotels that remain in category 5 or below has decreased. So getting a redemption that's a real winner using that certificate is getting harder.

The free night stay is worthless to us now with the category creep. We used to use it for a fall weekend getaway in SF. Also DH's company has recently decreed that their travelers MUST use the company cc rather than a personal cc, decreasing points accumulation substantially.

We'll be canceling the card come anniversary time next spring. In fact, the card has already been replaced with a no fee cash back/airline points/other rewards type (your choice of reward type) VISA Signature card. It was a great ride.

Ingrid

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
i am surprised to hear people say the Marriott Visa free night is worthless because there are fewer top of the line hotels in Category 5 and below than there used to be. I agree that this makes it a little less valuable, but worthless? I don't think I am so unusual in that occasionally I have a one-night hotel stay somewhere that needs to be paid for, and even a Fairfield Inn stay pays for the annual fee. I personally think the 6-month limitation is a bigger negative.

My opinion is that the free night and the ability to use it to get 5 points per dollar for your maintenance fees (and incidentals at Marriott properties) make it valuable enough to keep, even if you don't use it for anything else.

Last edited:

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you explain this, please? I have the visa and have seen the sales on cards. But I can't figure out the value.

Every winter Marriott offers a gift card promotion. You get a bonus of 10 points per $ for every $ you spend up to a max of $2500. So if you are Plat and you buy a $100 gift card with your Chase Marriott card her is what you get

1000 bonus points ($100 x 10 point bonus)
500 points for buying the card with your Chase VISA ($100 x 5 point bonus)
1500 points when you pay your bill (Plat Bonus)

If you buy the max at $2500 you'll get 75,000 points.

The promotion usually starts in late November and runs 4-6 weeks.

The Silver bonus is 12 points and Gold is 13. Plat is 15.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Every winter Marriott offers a gift card promotion. You get a bonus of 10 points per $ for every $ you spend up to a max of $2500. So if you are Plat and you buy a $100 gift card with your Chase Marriott card her is what you get

In the end, someone is just getting the extra 1000 bonus points for buying the gift card. If a plat just pays at the hotel with their Marriott credit card, they would get 20 points per dollar. Going for the gift cards is still a good deal since they don't expire.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!! I see how now. Appreciate it!

Edited to ask one more---the 1500 when you pay your bill?? Is that the 15 points x100 for platinum? I'm gold. I get bonus points for paying my regular bill? The pojnts upon paying are my confusion.

Last edited:

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
i am surprised to hear people say the Marriott Visa free night is worthless because there are fewer top of the line hotels in Category 5 and below than there used to be. I agree that this makes it a little less valuable, but worthless? I don't think I am so unusual in that occasionally I have a one-night hotel stay somewhere that needs to be paid for, and even a Fairfield Inn stay pays for the annual fee. I personally think the 6-month limitation is a bigger negative.

My opinion is that the free night and the ability to use it to get 5 points per dollar for your maintenance fees (and incidentals at Marriott properties) make it valuable enough to keep, even if you don't use it for anything else.

Based on our travel habits, we have not been able to use the free certificate for 3 years now. Forgot about the points for maint fees and I'll do the math at the end of the year whether it makes sense to keep the card just for that or use another cash back card. We spend almost no $ at the hotels themselves.

Ingrid

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you!! I see how now. Appreciate it!

Edited to ask one more---the 1500 when you pay your bill?? Is that the 15 points x100 for platinum? I'm gold. I get bonus points for paying my regular bill? The pojnts upon paying are my confusion.

Yes, jim pointed out "The Silver bonus is 12 points and Gold is 13. Plat is 15." That means a platinum will receive 15 points per dollar spent a most properties. The amount for gold is actually 12.5 points per dollar. Some properties only offer 5 points per dollar. I believe Residence Inn is one of those.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Some properties only offer 5 points per dollar. I believe Residence Inn is one of those.

Yes, and it is 5 points on only the room rate, not incidentals. It is the same at Towne Place Suites. Courtyard and Fairfield Inn are 10 points, but again only on the room rate. I believe Spring Hill Suites is the same. Only the full service hotels and MVCI give credit for incidentals.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
How do you find out about the gift card promotion? I only got it about 3 or 4 years ago and haven't seen it since. Is one coming up soon?
Thank you for any info.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
How do you find out about the gift card promotion? I only got it about 3 or 4 years ago and haven't seen it since. Is one coming up soon?
Thank you for any info.

When you sign on to your Marriott account there is a box labeled "Menu" in the upper left corner of the webpage. Click on it and a drop down menu appears. Select "Shop Marriott" and then "Gift Cards".

They've had this promotion for at least the last 5-6 years but no telling if they do it again this year. It's a little early for it to start right now. Usually it's always announced by someone here on the Marriott Forum and over on FT.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked my free (the freebie associated with the MR Visa Card) category 4 stay in Coconut Grove-Miami for one night.

This is for the evening we arrive from Boston via Amtrak. We will pick up our rental car (actually, Enterprise will pick us up) and head down to Key West the next morning.

This is worth next year's $89 card fee alone to us.

I should have ditched those airline FF cards a long time ago for this one.

The information shared by Tuggers here has helped me and others so very much.

Thank you.

-