• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see some availability in May. Is this a good time to visit? Which resorts would you recommend? I have a hold on Sunrise Ridge Resort.

Last edited:

Rehdaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love mid-May, right before Memorial Day. The wildlife is active with winter over and it's is far less crowed than after school's let out.

We love the Gatlinburg area over Pigeon Forge. Less touristy.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Yes it's a good time IMHO. The summer crush of vacationers haven't hit and the weather is generally mild. I can't comment on the resort you have on hold. The one time we were there (week before memorial weekend) we stayed at Gatlingurg Town Square. If we go back I'll probably try to book the Westgate resort only because it's pet friendly.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We own at Oakmont but have never stayed there, just toured the resort. We chose to stay at Oakmont Resort instead because it is within walking distance (2 blocks) of the "main street". We loved being able to walk to shops, shows & restaurants as the traffic can get pretty crazy.

Oakmont isn't as 'fancy' as Sunrise Ridge and doesn't have as many amenities or activities but we were there to see Pigeon Forge not the resort. The 1 bedroom kitchen at Oakmont is probably the smallest kitchen I've ever seen but we managed quite well in it for the week. We found the unit quite acceptable for the 2 of us. I just read that they are redoing some of the units at Oakmont as well as at Sunrise Ridge.

~Diane

mbh

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Time to Go

We went during the first week of May of 2013. Good weather, not crowded. Stayed at Wyndham Smoky Mountains Lodge. You can read my review for more information

Hart2cpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great place to visit

We have visited Gatlinburg twice in the past two years in August. First visit was at Bluegreen Mountain Loft - nice resort with beautiful views of Smoky Mountains. This summer we stayed at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort - great water park on site. Both resorts are nice - we will return in a few years and plan to stay at Bluegreen resort. The area is amazing and there are a lot of resort options.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Gatlinburg - Smoky Mountain Resort

I see some availability in May.
Is this a good time to visit?
Which resorts would you recommend?
I have a hold on Sunrise Ridge Resort.

Crown Park Resort - Smoky Mountain Resort
404 Historic Nature Trail Gatlinburg, TN 37738

Phase 1 of construction at Crown Park Resort in Gatlinburg, Tennessee
now Holiday Inn Club Vacations Gatlinburg Smoky Mountain Resort was
completed in May 2006. With 106 luxury villas, the first phase included:
56 one bedroom and 50 two bedroom units. Great downtown location!

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
I see some availability in May. Is this a good time to visit? Which resorts would you recommend? I have a hold on Sunrise Ridge Resort.
I agree that May is a great time to go. The weather is usually quite warm but before the peak summer heat and humidity. Crowds and traffic are much more reasonable too.

There are many good resorts in the area. We've returned several times to Wyndham Smoky Mountains and we like it a lot. The rooms are attractively decorated, comfortable and very well-maintained. The smaller (lock-off) 1BRs are much better equipped than any studio but they're not nearly nice as a 1BR Deluxe and larger - the smaller units don't have a balcony/patio, enough kitchen counter or cabinet space, nor a jacuzzi tub (just a small, hotel room-style bathroom). So, avoid a 1BR in RCI if it does not say it has a "full" kitchen and sleeps 4/4. We like the close availability of pools in both sections of this resort - most rooms are only a short, fairly level walk away (except 2 buildings and we just request a room "near" a pool). The location has easy access to Dollywood via Veteran's Blvd without the traffic on Parkway. The trolley has a stop at the edge of the resort or it's a short drive to Pigeon Forge attractions, restaurants and shopping. There's an internal shuttle van to take guests across the road that bisects this resort and reach both clubhouses and pool areas from any rooms.

We've toured Wyndham Great Smokies Lodge and our son will be staying there in December for a few nights. It's newer, with shared amenities with the Wilderness in the Smokies hotel resort. Activities include an indoor waterpark, an outdoor seasonal waterpark, an "adventure" zone (laser tag, mini-golf in the dark, etc. - for a fee), and an onsite golf course. It looks like a great place to stay when you primarily want to enjoy the resort itself. Most of our vacations in the area have included a fair amount of sightseeing and this resort is located further out in Sevierville, towards I-40, so it's more of a drive to most attractions than we normally prefer.

We've also toured the Westgate, Bent Creek, and MountainLoft resorts. All three of these resorts are built into pretty steep hillsides. So going from your room to the resort's pool and/or clubhouse facilities may require either a steep walk or driving your car. But they all offer good amenities and the rooms (at least the models) at all of them were very attractive. The smaller lock-off sides of larger units are tight, as is common in timeshares.

Westgate has terrific indoor-outdoor waterpark/pool facilities that families will enjoy. The location is fantastic, basically right between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge (short drives but not walkable) and not far from the bypass over to Smoky Mtns Nat'l Park. I'm guessing there's a trolley stop here but not 100% sure. Trades through II only.

On winding state Rte 321, about 2-3 miles east of downtown Gatlinburg, there's MountainLoft, a Bluegreen resort with a couple good clubhouses and pools and some excellent mountain views. This location is pretty good for visiting Gatlinburg, not really great for crossing through busy Gatlinburg to reach either the Smoky Mtns Nat'l Park or Pigeon Forge. Again, I'd guess there's a trolley stop nearby, but not sure.

Another 9-10 miles east on 321 and you'll find Bent Creek, a Diamond resort, in a quieter, somewhat more remote location but with a golf course onsite. Cell phone service can be iffy. The location is the most difficult for traveling to area sightseeing and activities, of what we've seen. With mostly condos, there are only a few cabin units here but were they ever nice! Some units at this resort have fireplaces which adds a lot to the ambiance on cooler off-season evenings. Just depends on the kind of vacation you're seeking.

Sunrise Ridge Resort has an excellent location for visiting Dollywood and Pigeon Forge attractions, similar to Wyndham Smoky Mountains. I've often thought that if I couldn't get our favorite Wyndham for our visits, I'd welcome a trade into Sunrise Ridge. It gets good reviews for maintenance, the amenities we use the most (indoor and outdoor pools), and nice views. HTH!

Last edited: