• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where can I find fixed weeks timeshare for sale?

shahadit

Reaction score
After doing a lot of research and getting lots of advise from the group members - Thank you!, I have decided to purchase a fixed week (peak season) timeshare. Can anyone recommend some sites, and are such timeshares still available?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are still available.

Check out the listings here on TUG and on Redweek.com

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I've bought most of mine on eBay.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I used redweek.com for my last 2 purchases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Since you are posting this on the Marriott board, I assume it means you are looking for a fixed week Marriott? Be advised there are very few Marriotts that were sold as fixed week. Almost all Marriott's were sold as floating weeks within a season. Others may have a complete list, but these are what I am aware of that were sold as fixed week:

- Harbour Point - Hilton Head
- Monarch - Hilton Head
- Some units in the Lahaina and Napili Towers at Maui Ocean Club
- Week 51/52 were sold as fixed at many locations within the Marriott system, I believe
- Maybe some other scattered holiday weeks around the system

I'm assuming if you are buying a fixed week unit, you are wanting it primarily for use at that resort rather than trading.

For a first time buyer I think working through a reputable broker is preferred to eBay. Some of the listings on Redweek are from brokers, but many are individuals. There are also two brokers that are TUG members that get top marks from TUGgers, although I haven't used either of them (http://www.sellingtimeshares.net or http://judikoz.com/Default.aspx.) By contrast, while there are some reputable sellers on eBay, that site is very definitely buyer beware. Lots of shady sellers as well.

shahadit

Reaction score
Since you are posting this on the Marriott board, I assume it means you are looking for a fixed week Marriott? Be advised there are very few Marriotts that were sold as fixed week. Almost all Marriott's were sold as floating weeks within a season. Others may have a complete list, but these are what I am aware of that were sold as fixed week:

- Harbour Point - Hilton Head

- Monarch - Hilton Head

- Some units in the Lahaina and Napili Towers at Maui Ocean Club

- Week 51/52 were sold as fixed at many locations within the Marriott system, I believe

- Maybe some other scattered holiday weeks around the system

I'm assuming if you are buying a fixed week unit, you are wanting it primarily for use at that resort rather than trading.

For a first time buyer I think working through a reputable broker is preferred to eBay. Some of the listings on Redweek are from brokers, but many are individuals. There are also two brokers that are TUG members that get top marks from TUGgers, although I haven't used either of them (http://www.sellingtimeshares.net or http://judikoz.com/Default.aspx.) By contrast, while there are some reputable sellers on eBay, that site is very definitely buyer beware. Lots of shady sellers as well.

No, I will be trading them. Buying a week in a desirable location and peak season will give me the ability to trade easily. That's the main purpose of buying a fixed week.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I will be trading them. Buying a week in a desirable location and peak season will give me the ability to trade easily. That's the main purpose of buying a fixed week.

Through Interval International? Make sure you thoroughly understand how the system works. Some of the weeks mentioned would be a complete waste of money for exchanging. You cannot exchange for something that does not exist so it might be impossible to get the equivalent. Using far more than what you need to get what is there is overkill.

shahadit

Reaction score
Through Interval International? Make sure you thoroughly understand how the system works. Some of the weeks mentioned would be a complete waste of money for exchanging. You cannot exchange for something that does not exist so it might be impossible to get the equivalent. Using far more than what you need to get what is there is overkill.

My second preference was to buy floating weeks at a desirable location during the peak period. I want to take advantage of other properties. Going to the same place is not my thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

In my opinion, then you are probably better off buying a floating week in peak season. I think the main reason to buy a fixed week is if you want to travel to the same resort every year. As long as you buy a peak season floater, I would think that most of the weeks in peak season would trade similarly, and there would not be a huge benefit of owning a specific week, just for trading purposes.

In my opinion, the biggest advantage of looking at floating weeks is there will be many more resale options out there at reasonable prices. Many people also like to buy lock-off units as traders since you can lock-off a 2BR into a 1BR and a studio - thus being able to make two deposits and get two trades. Most fixed weeks are older non-lock-off units that were sold prior to lock-offs becoming popular.

As far as the locations that have fixed weeks, no need to pay the high cost and high maintenance fees of the Maui Ocean Club fixed weeks just to trade. Same goes for holiday fixed weeks - too pricey just to trade, especially given the uncertainty of trading in being able to get what you want.

The two Hilton Head properties that have fixed weeks can be bought more reasonably than Hawaii or fixed holiday weeks, but I don't think either have lock-offs. Others have more knowledge, but my suspicion is that Harbour Point would not trade as well as the beachfront Hilton Head properties.

A fixed summer week at Monarch would probably trade well, but others with more trading experience can chime in on what are the best traders in the Marriott system. It seems a lot of folks buy Orlando Grande Vista floating Platinum season lock-offs to trade - low prices, reasonable maintenance fees, and good trade power.

I'm not an experienced trader by any means, but based on everything I've learned on TUG, if you want to trade in the Marriott system, you will be better off looking for a reasonably-priced high season floating week to use to trade.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My second preference was to buy floating weeks at a desirable location during the peak period. I want to take advantage of other properties. Going to the same place is not my thing.

Marriott just doesn't have enough fixed weeks to make fixed a viable option. You have the two HHI resorts which are an anomaly and the only true "fixed" weeks and then you have the very expensive and very few specialty weeks that still may float to some degree and definitely for check-in day.

Just go Platinum at a place where that Platinum season provides a really high demand with low supply. In my opinion if you want the best possible trader get a Platinum 3BR at Surfwatch or Ocean Pointe. Realize though that depending on what you are desiring for an exchange it might be overkill. If you go Ocean Pointe you could lock-off if you don't need the 3BR power.

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a Marriott Vegas EOY platinum 2 BR just for the purpose of trading and take advantage of the Marriott priority in II. I mostly lockout and use it to trade into Marriott Newport or Hawaii and nothing else.

Everything else, I use my Wolrdmark TS to travel and trade in both in II and RCI.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas

I would second the recommendation to buy a floating week. You can book a particular high value week and deposit it into interval for your trade. Here is an example.

Grand Ocean on Hilton Head.

This chart shows both the weeks that are "Platinum" in the Marriott system and the "Travel Demand Index" on interval for these same weeks.

You can see an overlap of weeks 24 to 33 as the highest demand Platinum weeks at Grand Ocean.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• GO Platinum.JPG
    GO Platinum.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 67

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
For trading purpose, you probably want to consider the place with cheaper HOA, lockoff, and the ability to reserve high TDI week. Other things you might want to consider is the exist strategy when you decide to sell and the value you can recoup, and II/RCI where belongs (I think only few Marriotts are RCI affiliated).

Spending big bucks for fixed Marriott week is not necessary for trade. I think a 2 Bedroom Grande Chateau can do exactly what you are looking for and even more.

Timeshare strategy is constantly changing each year, so what it works today may not going to work tomorrow.

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
After doing a lot of research and getting lots of advise from the group members - Thank you!, I have decided to purchase a fixed week (peak season) timeshare. Can anyone recommend some sites, and are such timeshares still available?

Google "Marriott resales" -- many places with listings

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would second the recommendation to buy a floating week. You can book a particular high value week and deposit it into interval for your trade. Here is an example.

Grand Ocean on Hilton Head.

This chart shows both the weeks that are "Platinum" in the Marriott system and the "Travel Demand Index" on interval for these same weeks.

You can see an overlap of weeks 24 to 33 as the highest demand Platinum weeks at Grand Ocean.

Hope that helps.

I don't understand your reasoning to recommend a floating week at Grande Ocean vs. a fixed summer week at Monarch, Harbour Club or Harbour Point. Those would cost the OP less, OP wouldn't have the hassle of reserving their week and the fixed weeks can be deposited much earlier to get a jump to the front of the request line.

With your example a Gold Grande Ocean would also have an overlap with the high TDI chart.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I don't understand your reasoning to recommend a floating week at Grande Ocean vs. a fixed summer week at Monarch, Harbour Club or Harbour Point. Those would cost the OP less, OP wouldn't have the hassle of reserving their week and the fixed weeks can be deposited much earlier to get a jump to the front of the request line.

With your example a Gold Grande Ocean would also have an overlap with the high TDI chart.

I think the main reason most people recommended floating over fixed was there is more available resale inventory in floating weeks vs fixed in the Marriott system.

Harbour Club and Harbour Point would likely have less trade power than either Grande Ocean or Monarch. If the OP is looking for a trader, I would not expect either Harbour Point or Harbour Club to be the best choices. Are there even fixed weeks at Harbour Club?

I suspect a fixed Monarch Platinum week would likely come close to a GO week in trade power, and might be a good choice. There may not be that many to choose from, however.

A GO Gold would be cheaper, but would only offer a couple of weeks or so with summer trade power. A platinum would offer many more weeks to choose from.

But as a pure trader, there may be better options for the OP than either GO or Monarch in the Marriott system - resorts with lock-offs for example.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Marriott Frenchman's Cove in St. Thomas has fixed weeks and they are week 7, 51 and 52, Holiday times.

As several have noted above, these holiday fixed weeks are expensive, so would probably not be the best choice for the OP's use primarily as a trader. They are best for folks who want to go during those weeks every year.

judif241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fixed Marriott weeks

I have a fixed week in the Lahaina tower in Maui, but I doubt if Marriott is selling any more fixed weeks unless it's a resale.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
As several have noted above, these holiday fixed weeks are expensive, so would probably not be the best choice for the OP's use primarily as a trader. They are best for folks who want to go during those weeks every year.

Exactly. Getting a fixed week for the price you pay to use it as a trader is a complete waste as it's going to first cost you way more to buy, more in MF and will not get you necessarily better trades. I've had fantastic trades with my cheap traders and it makes it worthwhile to trade. If you're going to use an ultra expensive unit to trade and it costs you a lot to buy - you may want to figure out the dollar and cents first as the cost is probably more than what you can rent what you are seeking for.

I've had trades into 3 br units in Maui in Lahaina towers, Christmas & NY in Hawaii as well as springbreak all with my cheap platinum traders. Don't waste your money on a fixed week to trade, that just doesn't make economic sense.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Getting a fixed week for the price you pay to use it as a trader is a complete waste as it's going to first cost you way more to buy, more in MF and will not get you necessarily better trades. I've had fantastic trades with my cheap traders and it makes it worthwhile to trade. If you're going to use an ultra expensive unit to trade and it costs you a lot to buy - you may want to figure out the dollar and cents first as the cost is probably more than what you can rent what you are seeking for.

I've had trades into 3 br units in Maui in Lahaina towers, Christmas & NY in Hawaii as well as springbreak all with my cheap platinum traders. Don't waste your money on a fixed week to trade, that just doesn't make economic sense.

Thank you for the input. I'm still not convinced your traders are better than a low priced fixed Platinum week. I'd love to join you in an experiment to see how those weeks fair against my Harbour Point week 25. It wasn't a pricey fixed week like a St. Thomas or Hawaii week.

I called II and spoke with a rep of 10 years. I asked how my week would fair against a week 25 GO. Her first guess would be GO ahead. Then she acknowledged they have customers who only want Shelter Cove. She said getting deposit in early makes difference in trading power.

Some details please...

What are your "cheap traders" and how much did you pay for them? Maintenance fees?

How far ahead have you put in your request?

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Apparently, someone has told you that buying a peak fixed week will give you better trades than buying a peak (plat) float week. I presume you're planning on trading thru II--versus the alternative of attempting direct-to-owner trades.

My thoughts:

Good luck with direct-to-owner trades (if you are proposing that): it will probably be more time and ridiculous trade requests than it's worth. I'm not saying it couldn't work, just that it probably more trouble than it's (consistently) worth. Of course, I have no tolerance for people suggesting ridiculous trades on a daily basis.

If you're trying to get a good trader on II, then going to the considerable time and expense of finding a 'premium' fixed Marriott week is both overkill and unwise. Experience shows that changing the deposit week has an effect on trading with II, but not nearly as much as your quest would suggest. A peak TDI week is not hard to reserve--you just need to pay attention once a year. Plus, the resort x size x TDI calculation apparently (do your research on TUG/Ownertrades) favors size and resort as much as TDI. You can easily get a good resort with larger size and make a good TDI reservation. So, why go to all the trouble and $$$ to buy fixed?

Finally, weeks move year to year (obviously not all) and TDI values change. Float allows you flexibility to follow; fixed does not. Personally, I'd follow the advice above; good resort, platinum week, 2br minimum--lockoff if possible. Beaches and Islands rule.... Size matters. If you go the 3br route, I'd definitely go for 3br with NO studio. (MGC?) Studios will now cost you $99 or $199 on the trade.
My advice. Take it for what it cost you: $0

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Thank you for the input. I'm still not convinced your traders are better than a low priced fixed Platinum week. I'd love to join you in an experiment to see how those weeks fair against my Harbour Point week 25. It wasn't a pricey fixed week like a St. Thomas or Hawaii week.

I called II and spoke with a rep of 10 years. I asked how my week would fair against a week 25 GO. Her first guess would be GO ahead. Then she acknowledged they have customers who only want Shelter Cove. She said getting deposit in early makes difference in trading power.

Some details please...

What are your "cheap traders" and how much did you pay for them? Maintenance fees?

How far ahead have you put in your request?

Here is the thing, what trade is it that you are seeking ? Do you need a rocket ship to go around the corner ? I've been able to trade into some difficult resorts like Hawaii at peak times like springbreak and Christmas and New Years as early as 10 months in advance, so it is possible. As others have said if it isn't available to trade into, it doesn't matter what you have. Thus far, there hasn't been much I haven't found with my cheap traders.

The purchase price has varied from -$85 (with free usage I made money) to $1500 on the high end for my WR, the MF are $1102 and I can lock them off for an additional $80 and get two trades out of them. So my cost for two trades into 2 br units would be $1102 + $80 + ($129 X 2) + ($59 X 3 steps as platinum II, one for the 1 br and two for the studio) = $1622 for two 2 br units or $811/2br

What price did you pay for HP ? I noticed the MF are $1244 and you can't lock it off so you have to use the whole unit to trade. Based on that if you were to trade say into Hawaii, your cost would be $1244 + $129 = $1373/2br

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is the thing, what trade is it that you are seeking ? Do you need a rocket ship to go around the corner ? I've been able to trade into some difficult resorts like Hawaii at peak times like springbreak and Christmas and New Years as early as 10 months in advance, so it is possible. As others have said if it isn't available to trade into, it doesn't matter what you have. Thus far, there hasn't been much I haven't found with my cheap traders.

The purchase price has varied from -$85 (with free usage I made money) to $1500 on the high end for my WR, the MF are $1102 and I can lock them off for an additional $80 and get two trades out of them. So my cost for two trades into 2 br units would be $1102 + $80 + ($129 X 2) + ($59 X 3 steps as platinum II, one for the 1 br and two for the studio) = $1622 for two 2 br units or $811/2br

What price did you pay for HP ? I noticed the MF are $1244 and you can't lock it off so you have to use the whole unit to trade. Based on that if you were to trade say into Hawaii, your cost would be $1244 + $129 = $1373/2br

Oh brother. . .I wrote a post that took me quite a bit of time to compose and thought I hit submit before taking a chipmunk for a ride to his new home :D. Came back to find I was logged out and obviously, forgot to click submit.

I'm participating in this thread for 2 reasons, first I think shahadit should get some further direction than just "go fixed" or "go float".

I'm going from things I know and I know that not all fixed weeks are the high priced Platinum plus weeks of the newer resorts. There are some summer weeks on Hilton Head that come in much less (many times more that 1/2) of the floating summer weeks at the beach properties. Because I own Harbour Point, that is the example I use.

I'm glad Willow Ridge was brought up for shahadit to consider (even if only by the initials WR). Low maintenance fee and ability to lock off. Then there is Grand Chateau with it's low maintenance fee. I saw a 3 bedroom Platinum selling for less than a Grande Ocean 2 bedroom summer. Float at these resorts may be great traders for shahadit to look at. I have no experience with owning or even experiencing either resort.

As far as our Harbour Point week, I've only owned it since 2013 so I don't have a long history of trading the week. We didn't buy it to trade, we bought it to use. I have traded it once, for GO next Spring because that's when we will be coming to HHI. Many of you know our lives changed in 2013 so I'm not sure what we'll be doing with this week. Paid on the high end for HP summer. $4000, other weeks 24-34 currently range $3000-$5000. Occupancy was the key for paying more as it is a prime unit. Waiting for a lower price for a similar 3 balcony unit and early summer might have been a lengthy search. In fact, I haven't seen one that comes close since I bought.

You're right, I can't lock it off and trading it for 2 bedroom only gets me (1) 2 bedroom, unless I go for an XYZ with the trade. Might even get an Accommodation Certificate. Didn't consider trading it when we bought. It's getting me into GO during the same time our Grande Ocean Gold with a lower maintenance fee.

Not trying to offend, just mentioning that on your calculations I'd up it to $850/2 bedroom as the II Platinum is $81/year. The upgrade charge stinks but it's a fee we all have to accept.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Oh brother. . .I wrote a post that took me quite a bit of time to compose and thought I hit submit before taking a chipmunk for a ride to his new home :D. Came back to find I was logged out and obviously, forgot to click submit.

I'm participating in this thread for 2 reasons, first I think shahadit should get some further direction than just "go fixed" or "go float".

I'm going from things I know and I know that not all fixed weeks are the high priced Platinum plus weeks of the newer resorts. There are some summer weeks on Hilton Head that come in much less (many times more that 1/2) of the floating summer weeks at the beach properties. Because I own Harbour Point, that is the example I use.

I'm glad Willow Ridge was brought up for shahadit to consider (even if only by the initials WR). Low maintenance fee and ability to lock off. Then there is Grand Chateau with it's low maintenance fee. I saw a 3 bedroom Platinum selling for less than a Grande Ocean 2 bedroom summer. Float at these resorts may be great traders for shahadit to look at. I have no experience with owning or even experiencing either resort.

As far as our Harbour Point week, I've only owned it since 2013 so I don't have a long history of trading the week. We didn't buy it to trade, we bought it to use. I have traded it once, for GO next Spring because that's when we will be coming to HHI. Many of you know our lives changed in 2013 so I'm not sure what we'll be doing with this week. Paid on the high end for HP summer. $4000, other weeks 24-34 currently range $3000-$5000. Occupancy was the key for paying more as it is a prime unit. Waiting for a lower price for a similar 3 balcony unit and early summer might have been a lengthy search. In fact, I haven't seen one that comes close since I bought.

You're right, I can't lock it off and trading it for 2 bedroom only gets me (1) 2 bedroom, unless I go for an XYZ with the trade. Might even get an Accommodation Certificate. Didn't consider trading it when we bought. It's getting me into GO during the same time our Grande Ocean Gold with a lower maintenance fee.

Not trying to offend, just mentioning that on your calculations I'd up it to $850/2 bedroom as the II Platinum is $81/year. The upgrade charge stinks but it's a fee we all have to accept.

You didn't specifically state this, but....

Marriott no longer participates in XYZ (does not give Marriott for XYZ week)