• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval international unit size upgrade fee??

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Having thought about this for a few days I'll toss out one more opinion/observation.

II could have just as easily gone to a points based exchange system like RCI's and then allowed developers to sell it as an upgrade for thousands of dollars. With points you pay for what you want. The upgrade fee is built in by the points value. DISCLAIMER: I don't understand RCI's points system that well. I became disillusioned with RCI years ago, dropped our individual membership (we still have the HGVC corporate membership) and haven't looked back.

Interval is instead keeping their weeks based exchange system but charging the upgrade fee in the form of a fixed dollar amount, regardless of the quality of the week or season. It's a flat fee vs a moving target such as RCI's points program. I think I'm happier I.I. stuck with their base program and added the fee vs changing to a points based system that requires members to join and pay a large enrolment fee.

In the end some things will change but, I bet there's not as much change as TUGGER's believe. The only real change I see for us is I won't take a 2 bedroom unit if I have to pay a fee to do it. I would if someone where to travel with us and, if they paid the fee. We also won't be locking off our 3 bedroom ocean front unit unless I absolutely need that extra week. Since we don't typically need that extra week for an exchange, it's one more studio unit I.I. won't get for an exchange. Somehow I don't see them missing it very much.
VRI has been charging an upgrade fee for a long time. I bought a studio on Cape Cod, mostly for our use but have traded for other places. II has taken over VRI and I am going to try them for 2017". Going to try for even size trade, I don't like all this extra fees, for size. And this Platinium ,Elite, etc. stuff, I remember the early days of timeshare trades very low fees. Like another thread I Too resent them offering alternatives to where I want to go. Just to make a sale. This is supposed to be fun, not stressful. I may just stay at my home resorts next year since I own where I like to go.
Silentg

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having thought about this for a few days I'll toss out one more opinion/observation.

II could have just as easily gone to a points based exchange system like RCI's and then allowed developers to sell it as an upgrade for thousands of dollars. With points you pay for what you want. The upgrade fee is built in by the points value. DISCLAIMER: I don't understand RCI's points system that well. I became disillusioned with RCI years ago, dropped our individual membership (we still have the HGVC corporate membership) and haven't looked back.

Interval is instead keeping their weeks based exchange system but charging the upgrade fee in the form of a fixed dollar amount, regardless of the quality of the week or season. It's a flat fee vs a moving target such as RCI's points program. I think I'm happier I.I. stuck with their base program and added the fee vs changing to a points based system that requires members to join and pay a large enrolment fee.

In the end some things will change but, I bet there's not as much change as TUGGER's believe. The only real change I see for us is I won't take a 2 bedroom unit if I have to pay a fee to do it. I would if someone where to travel with us and, if they paid the fee. We also won't be locking off our 3 bedroom ocean front unit unless I absolutely need that extra week. Since we don't typically need that extra week for an exchange, it's one more studio unit I.I. won't get for an exchange. Somehow I don't see them missing it very much.

II have already this. It calls Club Interval Gold. RCI have both system, week and point.

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Size just became way more valuable. Cheap lock-offs that do not contain a studio are huge.

Agreed, SDO and other Vistana Signature Experience (AKA Starwood) resorts with two connected "one" bedrooms units are worth a lot more than the Marriott lock-offs. Maybe it is time to pick up a SDO 2 bedroom.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed, SDO and other Vistana Signature Experience (AKA Starwood) resorts with two connected "one" bedrooms units are worth a lot more than the Marriott lock-offs. Maybe it is time to pick up a SDO 2 bedroom.

The other nice thing about VSE is that there is no lock off fee. I fell off my chair when Marriott told me that there was a lock off fee. At this point, I am "thinking" of getting rid of all my timeshares except for a couple where they make use of internal trading systems. If I want to go somewhere, I can use hotel points which I am still sitting on a boatload of, or rent from Tuggers.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
At this point, I am "thinking" of getting rid of all my timeshares except for a couple where they make use of internal trading systems. If I want to go somewhere, I can use hotel points which I am still sitting on a boatload of, or rent from Tuggers.

I've slowly been going that route for the reasons above, plus I have found that I'd rather stay in a fancy schmancy hotel than a timeshare in most cases.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
II have already this. It calls Club Interval Gold. RCI have both system, week and point.

This is correct. II has had a points system for years. They are just horrible at promoting it properly.

I did know that but, it's a relatively small fraction of I.I. exchanges/reservations when compared to RCI's program.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Hmmmmm....

Hmmmmm.....Am I correct in thinking that our 2BR off-season week has increased in value when trading for an in-season week...as more of those will be available. But it will have decreased in value when trading for a 1BR unit, as fewer of those will be available...due to owners not willing to pay an upgrade fee?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Hmmmmm.....Am I correct in thinking that our 2BR off-season week has increased in value when trading for an in-season week...as more of those will be available. But it will have decreased in value when trading for a 1BR unit, as fewer of those will be available...due to owners not willing to pay an upgrade fee?

Keep in mind that TUGGER's are probably a little more savvy than your typical timeshare user. We tend to examine and debate things to death until a new strategy is formulated to get the most out of our ownerships.

At this point, everything is pure speculation. Perhaps nothing will really change. Perhaps fewer owners will lock out their unit but will either use the entire unit or exchange the entire unit. Only time will tell.

One observation on the Marriott forums, where the same topic exists, has been that studio units are seeing exchange opportunities they couldn't see before the change. If I.I. is after $$, it would make sense for studio units to see more upgrade opportunities since that would generate additional fee's. and profits. If enough owners take advantage of this new opportunity to upgrade, even for an extra fee, it could actually result if fewer large units remaining available for long. Of course, to upgrade, one has to see it online as an instant exchange unless I.I. loosens the rules for ongoing searches.

The only thing I can say with reasonable certainty is that we'll be less willing to lock off and trade studio units. Fortunately, we're down to only one unit where that would even be a possibility in I.I. So from my standpoint, I.I. will lose a studio unit and the exchange fee that went with it. Saves me $$ and costs I.I. $$. But I'm betting we'll be the exception and not the rule.

Last edited:

HighAltitudeDude

TUG Member
Reaction score
One observation on the Marriott forums, where the same topic exists, has been that studio units are seeing exchange opportunities they couldn't see before the change.

would you please share a link to the above discussion?

downtownrb

Reaction score
One observation on the Marriott forums, where the same topic exists, has been that studio units are seeing exchange opportunities they couldn't see before the change. If I.I. is after $$, it would make sense for studio units to see more upgrade opportunities since that would generate additional fee's. and profits.

This applied to me as well - I have a cheap studio trader and was happy to pay the extra $59 to confirm the Renaissance in Aruba for October today, rather than waiting for the 59 day mark as would normally be required for my trader.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This makes going platinum even more automatic now. It used to be if you needed more than 2 getaways or guest certificates a year but now it is more than 2 of those two groups as well as upgrades. Doesn't take much at all to exceed the break even.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This makes going platinum even more automatic now. It used to be if you needed more than 2 getaways or guest certificates a year but now it is more than 2 of those two groups as well as upgrades. Doesn't take much at all to exceed the break even.

I missed that part. Why does platinum membership make upgrade cheaper?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The upgrade fee is $99 per step with a standard membership,
$79 per step with a gold membership, and
$59 per step with a platinum membership.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I'm now going to seriously use this great feature that TUG provides. I agree if we can expand this and make it great, it will allow many of us to realize a cost save.

Hey guys, TUG already has a section where TUGers can exchange with each other. There's not even an ad fee or exchange fee for this.

Let's put the screws to exchange companies, and let's exchange with each other instead.

I want some of Admins to contact me, I think we can improve the exchange section of the website to enable us TUGgers to make deposits, make exchange requests, and even have an assigned trade power for each timeshare in order to more or less equitably exchanges with one another.

The only reason II and RCI increase their fees is because they have no competition. Let's give them some :cheer::hi::whoopie:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm now going to seriously use this great feature that TUG provides. I agree if we can expand this and make it great, it will allow many of us to realize a cost save.

Just don't expect any uptrades using this method like you might have experienced in II. No one wants to downtrade, in order to uptrade a private exchange, someone has to downgrade.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just don't expect any uptrades using this method like you might have experienced in II. No one wants to downtrade, in order to uptrade a private exchange, someone has to downgrade.

I traded a Five weeknight, September studio at Disney's Beach Club Villas Resort for a Sanibel Cottages Spring Break week plus $300 I threw in.

So if someone wants what you have-- they will trade down. I admit this is an extreme example though and has never happened again :whoopie:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

I don't mind like for like if there isn't another $175-$300 fee thrown in. You do still face the problem of owners overvaluing what they have to exchange.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
We are principally 'uptraders' with II. So, this was a slap in the face to us. I already pay an annual membership fee, and a transaction fee every time I exercise that membership. Now, they want me to pay a 3rd fee that for a Studio to 3BR uptrade will drive my exchange fee from $129 to over $300 ... That is offensive. :mad:

I get that I can still make like for like exchanges at current rates. I get that I can make a flexchange uptrade at current rates, (assuming that time frame works for us in the future). I get that II may just be doing/charging what others (RCI) already are. Etc., Etc., Etc.

Unfortunately, there is no 'spin' that is going to change the reality that II is trying to collect more than twice as much from me to make the same exchanges that I have been making for the past 6 years of my membership. And since they are not making this change due to some increase in 'business costs', it smacks of the worst form of motive ... Greed. :crash:

I hope owners will refuse to pay this new 'profit' fee. I certainly will be, assuming we choose to renew our membership and not just exchange internally through Marriott via the DC points system or Florida Club.

If II had a room, I would send them to it so they can think about what they have done.

Well, I stand partially corrected in my prior posts on this topic in the Marriott forum. Turns out that II is actually 'cutting me a break' by only charging an extra $177 to uptrade to a 3BR using a studio. After a little more researching, I found out that this fee of $59 per uptrade 'step' (per BR) is actually the Platinum reduced rate. If you're a Gold member, the rate is $79 per step.

If you are a regular member, the uptrade fee is $99 per 'step' (Studio to 1BR is 1 step. Each additional BR you uptrade to is an additional step. Studio to 2Br is 2 steps, etc.). So, if you are a regular II member and want to uptrade from a studio to a 3BR the cost is $129 plus $99x3 (or $297) in additional 'uptrade' fees.

$129 + $297 = $426 to make an exchange (not counting your annual membership fee)?

Stop the insanity...!!! :doh:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I stand partially corrected in my prior posts on this topic in the Marriott forum. Turns out that II is actually 'cutting me a break' by only charging an extra $177 to uptrade to a 3BR using a studio. After a little more researching, I found out that this fee of $59 per uptrade 'step' (per BR) is actually the Platinum reduced rate. If you're a Gold member, the rate is $79 per step.

If you are a regular member, the uptrade fee is $99 per 'step' (Studio to 1BR is 1 step. Each additional BR you uptrade to is an additional step. Studio to 2Br is 2 steps, etc.). So, if you are a regular II member and want to uptrade from a studio to a 3BR the cost is $129 plus $99x3 (or $297) in additional 'uptrade' fees.

$129 + $297 = $426 to make an exchange (not counting your annual membership fee)?

Stop the insanity...!!! :doh:

Don't forget that 3BR owner pays way more MF than a studio owner, probably in the region of about 1.5K to 2K more. $426 is still a steal to uptrade from a studio to a 3BR.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don't forget that 3BR owner pays way more MF than a studio owner, probably in the region of about 1.5K to 2K more. $426 is still a steal to uptrade from a studio to a 3BR.

Couldn't I just buy a Getaway with that money? I can keep my week and not have to deposit it with II. I get 2 trips for the $426 spent instead of just the one exchange and II loses out on another 2BR/3BR deposit from me (making one less in inventory for anyone else to get access to).

Sounds like the 'uptrade' fee could work against II in that scenario. They may sell more Getaways but could also see a potential drop in deposited weeks.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I get that as my deposits to II have been from locking off my 3BR units, and I'm paying those higher maintenance fees.