• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

March 2017 airfare to Mexico

mlsmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked United nonstop from Newark to Puerto Vallarta on Saturdays in March 2017

$1200+ a person. (in the past its been $600-$700)

Should that go down in the next couple months ?

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We paid $503 for the same flight in November. We did like you attempted, booking as soon as they became available. The fair went up very shortly after we booked. It has never come down that low, but others traveling with us booked 2 or 3 months later when there was a drop to ~$570.
We go to either PV or Cabo for 2 weeks every November usually coming home Thanksgiving weekend. Except for this year I have always watched the fares until September because we usually have some procrastinators who wait to buy their tickets.
There will usually be a few sales throughout the year; the trick is to catch them. There is no magic day or time they appear as i have seen them vary. I put a fare watch on Kayak.com and get the fares sent daily as well as check UA's site almost daily. I will also look at the number of available seats since I have seldom seen sales if the flight is near sold out. If you have flexibility, many times a Sunday flight is cheaper. Airfares are always a crap shoot, it's a matter of catching them at the right time. I don't know that I have ever paid more than $600. Good luck!

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
With all of the consolidation going on in the airline industry and reduction of seats and competition, it's simple economics as to why prices are higher. What you are seeing is unfortunately likely to continue. I have had good luck with Priceline compared with Kayak. Other good sites are Google Flights and AirFare Watchdog. I agree you must watch it daily. Prices fluctuate widely and have been known to change even hourly. Also consider cleaning out your cookies. Sites have been known to track your searches and if you search often it can create a false demand resulting in a higher price.

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked flights on UA for March 4-11, 2017, 11-18, and 18-25. I saw nonstop fares between $546(redeyes) & $1230 for 3/4-11.The following week there was only a redeye on the outbound so the cheapest fare was $885,There was no redeye for either direction for the following week so the only nonstop was $1084.
Since these redeye flights are relatively new, it could be that they just haven't scheduled them any further than 3/4 and may open them up in the future. The times really suck with the redeyes but the price of the desired times does too.
For dates, 11/12-26, the redeyes would cost $600 opposed to $1244 for the good times. Our return flight is always high because it is Thanksgiving weekend. For some of our companions who are only joining us from 11/12-19 the fares are $485 with a redeye outbound with the redeye and daytime flight fares the same. Daytime fares in both directions is $713.
I would just hang in there and check often, you really have nothing to lose as I would bet they will not get higher than what you would pay now.

aleksir

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regina
We bought immediately when the flights became available in April and paid $450 from DFW. I've been running a price watch on the ticket and it dropped by $1 for a couple of days.

Today I checked and it is $789. Whether they will drop again - only time will tell.

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Prices usually come down in the late summer/fall. Southwest doesn't even have flights posted yet for March. I believe they come out in July. Same with some other LCCs like Frontier. Last year we flew from Detroit to PV on SW for $450. Hoping to do the same again.

RALnGA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Southwest is only booking through January 2017 right now.
We are flying to Nassau in September,I only book through the airline.
Delta has been anywhere from $415 to $523, Southwest was $294 so I booked Southwest .within 2 weeks it was down to $242 .I called them and they gave me a voucher for the difference to use within a year.

RAL

rpennisi

Reaction score
I booked from NY to DFW to Cabo on AA as soon as I could for a Jan 2017 trip for $512 per person RT.

A similar trip from NY to DFW to Acapulco on AA also booked early for this past Jan 2016 was $965 per person RT.

My guess is that early this year, the fuel costs were way down, and I got lucky.

mlsmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
as of this AM
United non stops Newark to Puerto Vallarta are down to $680-$780 depending on departure time.