• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What happens to banked staroptions if you sell timeshare?

Password is taco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Barony Beach
SVV - Key West
My 2016 staroptions have been banked and I have used a portion of them for a reservation in February 2017. If I sold my timeshare, would I be able to keep my 2017 reservation and the balance of unused staroptions? I only have the one VSE timeshare, so if I sold I would no longer be a VSE owner.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If this is the only VSE timeshare you own, your Account will be closed, and the banked Staroptions will be cancelled. To prevent this from happening, make sure your contract stipulates that usage will start after you use the Staroptions.

If you are selling the 2017 usage to the owner, and have 2017 Staroptions, that can be a problem.

The easiest way to handle it is to keep the 2017 usage yourself, use up all the Staroptions, and have the transfer to the new owner begin with 2018.

Password is taco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Barony Beach
SVV - Key West
If this is the only VSE timeshare you own, your Account will be closed, and the banked Staroptions will be cancelled.

Thanks for your help. Maybe a stupid question, but does the above mean my reservation made with banked 2016 star options would be cancelled also?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks for your help. Maybe a stupid question, but does the above mean my reservation made with banked 2016 star options would be cancelled also?

Your Acct. will be cancelled when the deed is transferred, so yes, unless you can make other arrangements with the VSE title office. In Owner Resources at the top of the forum there is contact info. for the title office - I would give them a call.

You want to ask something like this:

I am going to sell my deed at XYZ resort.

The deed will transfer starting with the 2017 usage.

Am I going to lose my current reservation and my banked Staroptions?​

They can look up your account and go over the options with you.

***Try to get them to send something in writing to you to verify what you are told, in case you need it later.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
FYI, if you own 2 Starwood (mandatory) timeshares, and want to sell one of them, if you want to preserve unused SOs on the one you're selling, put that in the contract and call Starwood to have them put a note in your file to that effect.

Back when I owned a 2bdrm EOY SVV and wanted to get an annual 2 bdrm L/O SVV, I called and asked what would happen to my unused SOs from the EOY account. I was told that I'd be able to keep unused SOs so long only as I had an active Starwood account. If even a day went by that I was not a Starwood owner, I'd forfeit those SOs. So I delayed the closing of my EOY sale until the annual unit was in my name....And they proceeded to zero out my banked SOs.

I was initially told, "Sorry! You're out of luck." but after escalating, they restored those SOs. They told me that I should have called and had a CSR has to make a "notation in your file" that unused SOs were to be transferred to my new account.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
He only owns one (per first post) so they are going to close his Acct.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What happens to current year unused SOs? I ask because we bought SVV with 2017 usage. When the week was transferred to us, our account showed with some 2016 SOs until I called to see what I could do with them :eek:. At that time the 2016 SOs were wiped out of our account. Did they go back to the original owner or did Vistana get the benefit of forfeited SOs? I think this was the only week the seller had with Vistana.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unless someone interceded - Vistana kept them.