• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

somebody stop me

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's beautiful. If you truly think your life would be enriched with it, then buy it. But if it's an ego thing, or if it'll sit in port all the time, then why are you wanting to buy it? It will need a lot of preservation maintenance to keep it gorgeous, even if you never start the engine.

Are you a boater, somebody who goes to boat shows and hangs around the dock just admiring the boats there? Do you read boating magazines, and imagine your life aboard a great boat out on the open water? Do you imagine vacations on a boat, heading for some exotic port?

Or are you someone who only seriously thinks of it when you see a great boat picture, or when you drive past a marina, and think, "What a waste - all that money tied up to the dock."

I love boats, and especially love Chris Craft classic boats. But put it in these terms: Every single time that boat leaves the dock it will cost you money. EVERY SINGLE TIME. The further you go, the more it will cost you.

The instructor at my Coast Guard Auxiliary Coastal Piloting and Seamanship course I was taking years ago liked to say that owning a boat was much more than the well known "a hole in the water you pour money into." He said it was "like standing in the shower in your best suit, tearing up $100 bills." :ponder:

Let me know if you buy it, and I'll come visit. I'd love to take a boat like that out cruising. ;)

Dave

I've lived on or near the water all my adult life, (Annapolis Md 1969-1995 and Ft Myers and Cape Coral Fl now) There was even a time I worked on the Chesapeake Bay... I cant say owning a boat has ever been a dream of mine, It was just understood that one day, if I could, I would.

Ive been shopping for a pontoon boat to dock at home... but the Chris Craft caught my eye. (damn Craigslist)

This is what Ive decided to do... Im going to keep the money I have in the bank, sell enough of my timeshares to raise new money for the boat... If and when I do, if the boat is still available, Im going to offer the guy $10,000 less than he wants and if he takes it, use the 10k to ship the boat to California where it will become my west coast home. If my wife lets me.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I've lived on or near the water all my adult life, (Annapolis Md 1969-1995 and Ft Myers and Cape Coral Fl now) There was even a time I worked on the Chesapeake Bay... I cant say owning a boat has ever been a dream of mine, It was just understood that one day I would have one.

Ive been shopping for a pontoon boat to dock at home... but the Chris Craft caught my eye.
yacht%20club.JPG

You actually sound a lot like me. I've owned a few boats over the years, both sail and power, but I currently have none, and would love to have another. The next one will be a liveaboard sailboat, large enough to be world cruise capable. Yes, I know it's unlikely to ever happen. But the dream is still alive. ;)

A pontoon boat is a lot less maintenance, and won't cost nearly as much if it sits at the dock. And to be honest, if a hurricane hit, a pontoon boat would be a lot less to lose than a classic beauty like the CC.

Have you thought about doing the timeworn response to timeshare investigators: Rent before you buy? Maybe you could satisfy the urge by chartering a nice boat for a time, and decide if you want to take on ownership of one. The amount of work required to do it right may help you make your decision. You may discover it's more fun to rent one when you feel the urge, and then give back the keys and walk away with no strings (or maintenance) required.

Either way, it's a nice dilemma to have. Enjoy the prospects!

Dave

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
That boat is a classic! Does it have a recent survey?

PS

If you add up all the mtce fees you pay on your timeshares, that will about equal the mtce fees on that boat.

there is a survey but I havent looked at it yet.... Im afraid to. What if its all good news.

assuming dock fees of about $10000 a year and maintenance of about the same. my timeshare fees are still more. . The difference is that my timeshares make money for me. Im not sure the boat can pay for itself,

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I love it Ron !!! Even if you only used it for a couple of seasons and flipped it, Im certain, for the right person anyway, which may be you, it would be funtastic.

That being said, you ought to have the vessel appraised before you buy. Cris Crafts are expensive restorations.

Bill

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chris Craft is top of the line. It is a classic. If you can afford it and use it, go
For it but my son says BOAT stands for "Break Out Another Thousand" and
With this classic, I'm sure that would hold true.:D Let us know what you decide.

Break out another thousand for sure . Murphy's law is in full effect when you are ready to go out on a nice sunny day. Something breaks and it costs thousands to repair. Not worth it.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
They say there are the two happiest day of a boat owner; the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

Good Luck Ron

This is the historical truth. My advice is to get yourself a friend that owns a boat. My lifelong friend had many boats. It took superstorm Sandy to cure his disease of boat addiction. Insurance money paid for the loss.

jeffwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluewater, Southwind, Cottages, Coral Sands, Players Club, Branson, Grandview, Silver Lake, and about 950K RCI points.
Ron-- you know my answer. Buy it. This Chris Craft is not a boat--it is a small "proper yacht."

I owned a wood 42' Trojan in the 90's. It had FAR less problems than the new boats today. My current CC Catalina is a 1984 and is now considered antique-- 30 years old for a boat. The survey put replacement value @ $365,000. I own, and live aboard, for 10% of this cost AND it's a better yacht than the crazy new stuff today.

Survey is important. I know what to look for and will call.

Go ahead--- be Captain Ron for a while.

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Get a sailboat instead and I will crew for you.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron, always keep in mind... the chicks dig guys with big boats !!! :)

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I've lived on or near the water all my adult life, (Annapolis Md 1969-1995 and Ft Myers and Cape Coral Fl now) There was even a time I worked on the Chesapeake Bay... I cant say owning a boat has ever been a dream of mine, It was just understood that one day, if I could, I would.

Ive been shopping for a pontoon boat to dock at home... but the Chris Craft caught my eye. (damn Craigslist)

This is what Ive decided to do... Im going to keep the money I have in the bank, sell enough of my timeshares to raise new money for the boat... If and when I do, if the boat is still available, Im going to offer the guy $10,000 less than he wants and if he takes it, use the 10k to ship the boat to California where it will become my west coast home. If my wife lets me.

That's a lot of ifs. If not that one, another nice one will be available when you're ready.

Since you've never owned before I would definitely go out with friends to get a feel for what it's like to run a large boat.

There are boat ownerships similar to TSs out there also if you look around.

If you want a second home on the water in Cali, look for one there, many people buy them without engines just to live on.

If you know what you're doing and can afford the time and money, that's a beautiful ship.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't the an insurance clause that you can NOT have a boat (ship) in the hurricane waters of South Florida, the Gulf and the Carribbean sea DURING Hurricane season? Like if damage, NOT covered?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
someone turned me on to a local yacht builder here in town...huckins marine. They make some amazing boats, I was really quite surprised to find how cheap they were for ones they have brought in to refurbish.

all that teak makes me smile out of one side of my face, and cringe at how much maint is required to keep it all looking pretty year after year.

I find as I get older, pontoon and houseboats look more and more appealing to me.

wait till the dead of winter...prices drop like a stone!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I'll keep an eye on it for you.... ;)

Yep, leaving a boat in the water that far from you will require someone to be constantly looking after it.

A lot can go wrong in a very short time.

Many boats sink at their dock because no one noticed the bilge pumps stopped working for what ever reason.

One broken dock line can cause a lot of damage if not caught on time.

Take up Greg's offer!

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its a 42' Chris Craft Constellation built in 1963. mahogany over oak; teak decks

I have no answer to your question but will say if I ever hit the lotto my first buy is home on Lake Tahoe North Shore and my second is going to the boat house. They have some of the most beautiful Chris Craft boats for sale and I love them. :wave:

PHIL:whoopie:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oooohhhh, it's beautiful.

It's kind of like us with antique cars. Do we need another one? Heck no. Can we afford one more and its upkeep? Yeah. Do we have garage space? With a few hours of re organizing, yeah. Will we have fun with it? Heck yes.

Is it your grocery or retirement money? No? Then......

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went across the canal and took this picture...I still want it...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 81

taffy19

Reaction score
2 Fireplaces? Really?
Ron, if you have the cash laying around, buy it. You can taste that beautiful old yacht. ;) It will cost you a lot of money to maintain it.

We know a boat owner who bought one of the classic motor boats and older looking than yours. It was a wooden boat. They had it all restored (partially professionally) but they did a lot of work themselves. When it was all finished, he sold it to his partner as he had enough of it. They hardly took it out of the slip.

If you move to southern California, you have the California Channel Islands to motor to and Catalina Island is the most popular one. I don't know about up north.

You need the two fireplaces, if you are planning to bring this boat to the west coast, and even more so it it is up north. You will need heating at night because it gets chilly quite often with a heavy dew but you will have plenty of sunshine during the day.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I went across the canal and took this picture...I still want it...

Good luck Ron ! I hope you get it. If I can help, ("as Im always looking for more points") let me know.;)

Bill

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
ronparise;1689844....They do provide heat[/QUOTE said:
Floating around Seattle is different than the Gulf and the keys of Florida -- not near as cold. ;)

I might call them "sunset mood devices" ....

ksqdomer

Reaction score
boats and race horses.......second happiest day of your life. The day you sell it.

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
How often do you go out on the water now or in the past? Do you like to fish? If you have spent little time doing any of this this, you might find that after a couple trips, you'll get bored. I have a boat on a lake, maintenance is minimal, however, my boat is not 50 years old? What is it with this boat? Does it fancy you because it's cool? Night the right reason to buy a boat. To really enjoy it you need to have an interest for being out in the water. Lot of people buy boats because they can. What's your reason?