• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Salt Lake City Mountainside Resort Q's

Wally3433

Reaction score
Planning a 4 day trip to Park City in January over MLK weekend and I have a few questions.

Is the Marriott Mountainside truly a Ski In/Ski Out property - if anyone has any actual distance figures, please share.

We are only staying for (4) days, Friday to Tuesday, so likely would have to just book via Marriott.com. Tried the MOD code, but it didn't work. Nor did the AAA rate. Are there any other discount codes to use? It's $889 per night right now.

For those familiar with the base mountain properties, are there any other TRUE ski in/ski out properties.

Any way to get discounted lift tickets via Marriott? Doubt it, but have to ask.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Planning a 4 day trip to Park City in January over MLK weekend and I have a few questions.

Is the Marriott Mountainside truly a Ski In/Ski Out property - if anyone has any actual distance figures, please share.

We are only staying for (4) days, Friday to Tuesday, so likely would have to just book via Marriott.com. Tried the MOD code, but it didn't work. Nor did the AAA rate. Are there any other discount codes to use? It's $889 per night right now.

For those familiar with the base mountain properties, are there any other TRUE ski in/ski out properties.

Any way to get discounted lift tickets via Marriott? Doubt it, but have to ask.

If your Week is enrolled in the DC or if you've purchased DC Trust Points, there are cash discounts for DC Members. Check out the "Member Discounts" section on page 3 of this forum's DC Points FAQ.

But all cash discounts are capacity-controlled and subject to availability, and you're trying to get a high-demand holiday weekend. It wouldn't surprise me to find no discounts available.

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is likely the Sundance Film Festival in Park City and it will be packed with people. That explains the $$$ rates for Mountainside.

It really can be a circus during that time....restaurants, parking, Main Street & stores are all extremely crowded. However many of the Sundance crowd don't ski, so the lifts & mountain might not be too bad.

alchook

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ski In/Ski Out is a term used very loosely in describing ski resort properties. I once rented a Ski In/Ski Out condo in Steamboat that required crossing two streets to get to the chairlift.

That being said, Mountainside is about as Ski In/Ski Out as you can get.

If you want specifics, take a look on Google Maps.

www.google.com/maps/place/Park+City...2!3m1!1s0x875211148b83b1eb:0xe46d25e29ceaa871

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's an extremely high demand period. No place is going to be cheap, but Hotels.com brings up some very reasonable rates for that weekend, some of which are semi ski-in/ski-out at the Canyons.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good afternoon....

Mountainside is 100% ski in -ski out.... you exit right onto the end of the payday run.. ski about 2o yards to the pay day lift... at the end of the day...you ski down to the base and you go right into ski valet.... brief 50 ft walk thru pool and hot tub area...

it is fantastic...

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good afternoon....

Wally $889 on marriott.com will be $950 after taxes $3800 for 4 nights

Go to redweek.com and just rent a whole week.... you will get for $3000-$3500

just saying...

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Starting with 2015 the Sundance Film Festival had to move to 1 week later so as not to interfere with the MLK weekend ski crowds. This was part of the contract they signed with the city last year for continuing the film festival in Park City for the next 10-15 years, as the ski resorts wanted the revenue from MLK weekend. In 2015 the film festival stars on January 22.

I wonder what happened to people that bought fixed week 3 timeshares in Park City thinking it would always be the Sundance Film festival week.

For discount lift tickets the last few years Costco has sold a coupon book of 5 tickets that worked out to less than $70 per day. Do not know if they will be doing it this year with Vail owning the mountain.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Park City is now part of Vail. As a result, I would recommend buying a Epic Local pass which is a season pass that allows you to ski at almost a dozen resorts for the entire season. If you ski more than 7 days this season, the cost of the Epic pass will have paid for itself. Canyons is also managed by Vail so you can ski at either mountain if you have this pass.

If these are the only 4 days you'll ski this season, then my recommendation is to use Liftopia to get your tickets.

As stated, because of MLK weekend, Marriott Mountainside is going to be expensive. Much less expensive to stay in a condo/townhouse in old town or on Deer Valley Road booked through vrbo. Not as convenient but because of the free Park City bus, you still won't need a car if you don't want one.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
you cannot ski into your villa foyer, but the main lift is only feet from the resort....a VERY short walk........basically on the other side of the pool, so it's as ski-in-ski-out as possible. All you have to do is LOOK AT THE RESORT PHOTOS and you'll see everything you need to know.

frankly i'm amazed at your not looking into it first. There is an amazing amount of info simply on the resort website, googlemaps, and a dozen other sites. BTW, Marriott's Mountainside Resort is not in Salt Lake. Also, the front desk will entertain all questions.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/slcms-marriotts-mountainside/

http://goo.gl/maps/1VrsD

Wally3433

Reaction score
Thanks for the liftopia advice and it's good to know that Sundance was pushed back a bit.

jme - thanks for the advice, but consider eliminating the snarky comments, especially when the advice you provide is not correct (surprised that you went to so many websites and even google to give me incorrect info).

After further research, it appears that the Marriott Mountainside would generally be considered a Ski in property, with the caveat that many of you have pointed out (you have to walk a bit after you come to a halt at the bottom of the run). About as good as could be expected for a large resort at the bottom of one of the main ski runs.

It is also generally considered to be a Walk out property, which is perfect for snowboarders, maybe not so much for skiers. Skiers prefer the ability to click in, then ski down the the mountain to a nearby lift, and such property would be considered by most to be Ski In.

Lastly, it appears that the Payday lift is actually a great lift to be close to, since it brings you directly to the heart of the mountain. This eliminates the "you just take a short lift to this other lift" scenario that many resorts have.

Still not discount codes or opportunities though - will keep searching.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening...

short of hitting the slopes directly from your bedroom... you can't get more ski in-ski out than mountainside... You pick up skis from valet.... walk 50 ft thru pool area to gate..ski down to payday,eagle or first time lift... on way home you come down Payday common pathway ski right to gate..walk another 50 ft thru pool area to ski valet...

hipslo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the liftopia advice and it's good to know that Sundance was pushed back a bit.

After further research, it appears that the Marriott Mountainside would generally be considered a Ski in property, with the caveat that many of you have pointed out (you have to walk a bit after you come to a halt at the bottom of the run). About as good as could be expected for a large resort at the bottom of one of the main ski runs.

It is also generally considered to be a Walk out property, which is perfect for snowboarders, maybe not so much for skiers. Skiers prefer the ability to click in, then ski down the the mountain to a nearby lift, and such property would be considered by most to be Ski In.

At the moment, there are no lift tickets for pcmr available on liftopia. Perhaps this will change once vail figures out how it is going to price them, and whether or not it is going to retain the optional "fast tracks" feature, which I really like during busy times, though I would be surprised if vail retains this option.

As far as access, there is absolutely the ability to click in and ski down to the payday lift, I have been doing that from mountainside for 7 years now. Mountainside is up the slope from payday lift and (slightly) uphill from crescent lift. Also uphill from Eagle and First Time. Only way mountainside would be "walk out", rather than "ski out" would be if one went down to lobby level and walked around to payday through the base area, but there is no reason to do that.

There is also the ability to ski down from the mountain at the end of the day directly to the mountainside property, so long as you don't ski all the way to the base/ bottom of the run (not sure why anyone would do that).

The key is to store your skis outside on the edge of the slope, rather than inside at the valet, if you'd prefer not to walk the 50 feet through the mountainside pool deck to/from the slope with your skis. Though would advise using ski lock in that case.

Last edited:

Wally3433

Reaction score
At the moment, there are no lift tickets for pcmr available on liftopia. Perhaps this will change once vail figures out how it is going to price them, and whether or not it is going to retain the optional "fast tracks" feature, which I really like during busy times, though I would be surprised if vail retains this option.

As far as access, there is absolutely the ability to click in and ski down to the payday lift, I have been doing that from mountainside for 7 years now. Mountainside is up the slope from payday lift and (slightly) uphill from crescent lift. Also uphill from Eagle and First Time. Only way mountainside would be "walk out", rather than "ski out" would be if one went down to lobby level and walked around to payday through the base area, but there is no reason to do that.

There is also the ability to ski down from the mountain at the end of the day directly to the mountainside property, so long as you don't ski all the way to the base/ bottom of the run (not sure why anyone would do that).

The key is to store your skis outside on the edge of the slope, rather than inside at the valet, if you'd prefer not to walk the 50 feet through the mountainside pool deck to/from the slope with your skis. Though would advise using ski lock in that case.

Puckman and Hipslo, thanks for the clarification. This is even better - sounds like the best of both worlds for a group with snowboarders and skiers.

Has anyone had experience with the "Lodge at Mountain Village" and can compare the hot tubs, ski access and general quality of rooms with the Marriott Mountainside?

hipslo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Puckman and Hipslo, thanks for the clarification. This is even better - sounds like the best of both worlds for a group with snowboarders and skiers.

Has anyone had experience with the "Lodge at Mountain Village" and can compare the hot tubs, ski access and general quality of rooms with the Marriott Mountainside?

I have not stayed at Lodge at Mountain Village but have seen it from the outside. It is an older property than mountainside, and likely doesn't have anything that compares to mountainside's extensive, direct slopeside pool and hot tub complex.

Based on where it is located (slightly downhill from mountainside, crescent and payday), it would not be "ski out" to payday or crescent lifts, though the walk to those lifts would be quite short, especially payday. It might be "ski out" to eagle and/or first time lifts, I am not certain, though either way, the walk would be short.

It would definitely be "ski in".

hipslo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just looked at a detailed map of the base area, based on that, Lodge at Mountain Village would definitely be "ski out" to Eagle lift (which the locals sometimes refer to as the "back door" to the mountain).

Wally3433

Reaction score
The MOD rate came through for me today. I have never been so excited to pay $578 a night for a room! I was facing the prospect of paying 889, but today, typed in the MOD rate and boom - 25% off for MVC owners and an extra 10% if you have and use your Marriott Visa. This puts our total four night cost below that of the next best property "Lodge at Mountain Village".

I found out about the MOD rate from this board - thanks again guys. Surprised to see it show up for such a prime time of the year (MLK Weekend).

All the flights are booked on Frontier (only $234 RT from Chicago), now just waiting on some discounted lift tickets.

We are leaving the wives at home this time, but 1,200 square feet is going to be a little tight for (5) large male adults. Hoping the convenience of the Mountainside location will outweigh any space sacrifices - those pull out sofa beds might get some use.

Thanks again board. Let me know if anyone hears of discounted lift tickets. Costco is my only lead right now.

Cobra1950

Reaction score
Discount lift tickets downtown SLC at Canyons Sporting Goods:banana:

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also check REI & Sports Den for discount ski tickets.
REI 801-486-2100
Sports Den 801-582-5611

Wally3433

Reaction score
Thanks for the sporting good store recommendations. We will have time the day before, as two of us are going early to gather supplies (food and liquor).

We plan to hit Costco, a grocery store and then one of those state liquor stores.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the sporting good store recommendations. We will have time the day before, as two of us are going early to gather supplies (food and liquor).

We plan to hit Costco, a grocery store and then one of those state liquor stores.

Keep in mind that the state liquor stores are closed Sundays and holidays. We arrived the Sunday before Labor Day and were unable to buy wine until Tuesday. I hate the antiquated Utah liquor laws. Wines and higher alcohol beer are only available in the state stores.

For groceries, there is a nice Smith's store in Kimball Junction in the newer shopping center across from Walmart. We found quality and prices to be much better than the groceries in Park City. The closest Costco is in Salt Lake City, but they don't carry wine.

Wally3433

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the state liquor stores are closed Sundays and holidays. We arrived the Sunday before Labor Day and were unable to buy wine until Tuesday. I hate the antiquated Utah liquor laws. Wines and higher alcohol beer are only available in the state stores.

For groceries, there is a nice Smith's store in Kimball Junction in the newer shopping center across from Walmart. We found quality and prices to be much better than the groceries in Park City. The closest Costco is in Salt Lake City, but they don't carry wine.

No wine till Tuesday? Yikes!. We arrive on a Thursday - just to stock up on supplies on Friday, so we should be ok. Thanks for the tip on Smiths - I found one in Utah. We are staying one free night at Marriott University Park in SLC (it's only a level 4, so I can use a certificate) So, I think we will hit: Smiths, State Liquor Store, Costco and then a sporting goods store if Costco doesn't have discounted lift tickets - then the mountain.

Ok - that's way too much planning ahead of time! Can't wait.

saabman

Reaction score
Discount lift tickets downtown SLC at Canyons Sporting Goods:banana:

With Vail Resorts taking over PC expect discounted lift tickets at local outlets to disappear. Maybe not this season but surely next. They will want to control pricing and purchasing as they do at their other resorts, i.e. multi-day lift tix discounts will be available via 7 day advance purchase direct thru Vail Resorts websites.

Mitchelld78

Reaction score
Does anybody have a room preference at mountainside? Or at least a favorable direction that would give us a mountain view?
Thanks