• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Love U.S. history and seeking a place to go where museums/ learning is abundant

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We have been to Williamsburg/ Yorktown and loved our trip. That was just last year. It was April and very cool outside, and we loved it because we are from a cool climate. We would like to go again in a few years.

We are thinking of another East Coast location next April with more to do than sitting on a beach. I am not one to do that because I have a sensitivity to the sun. I love history and minored in American History. What about Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head? How about the Outer Banks of NC?

Washington DC is a trip we want to make when I can walk better, and the doctor told me not to count on next year. I have trochanter bursitis that keeps me from walking. The inflammation has been bad for about a year.

I am looking for drive-to locations where we can look a while and sit a while.

Any suggestions?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been to Williamsburg/ Yorktown and loved our trip. That was just last year. It was April and very cool outside, and we loved it because we are from a cool climate. We would like to go again in a few years.

We are thinking of another East Coast location next April with more to do than sitting on a beach. I am not one to do that because I have a sensitivity to the sun. I love history and minored in American History. What about Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head? How about the Outer Banks of NC?

Washington DC is a trip we want to make when I can walk better, and the doctor told me not to count on next year. I have trochanter bursitis that keeps me from walking. The inflammation has been bad for about a year.

Any suggestions?

I hear what you say about Washington DC and walking...but Id still go... Just dont try to do it all in a day or even in a week. or dont do Washington at all Stay at National Harbor, and do a day trip to Annapolis, sit on a bench on State Circle (in the shade) and take it all in.

read more here http://www.annapolis.org/index.asp?pageid=61

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gettysburg. Less walking more wineries.

Look at the locales where the Patriots HIDE the "Liberty Bell" from the British while they occupied Philadelphia - northeastern PA.

Savanna - think of the movie "The Patriot". Great food.

(Hope I have the right locale and movie).

Last edited:

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you go to Hilton head you can do easy day trips to Savannah, and you can also do Charleston (I would spend a night ther so you have 2 full days) and Beaufort....HH also has the Coastal Discovery museum that has some interesting programs/ lectures.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
New York City is full of history and museums. You can take a hop-on-hop-off bus tour and get dropped off at the sites.
You can take one of those in DC also.

nkldavy

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
From Atlantic City ...

... you could see NYC, Philly, Cape May, Trenton Revolutionary War Barracks, and Washington's Crossing, PA where they've recently done over the visitors center and there's a short walking tour. Independence Hall area gets quite a few school buses during the work week. Enjoy wherever you go!
Uncle Davey

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Trochanteric Bursitis.............. please consider/talk with your doc, about an injection of Kenalog if you haven't already. There could be adverse effects, so do discuss with your clinician.
I had a bout of this after my tibial pleateau fx and it was painful. The injection helped as did losing weight. It's hard to lose it, though, without exercising and you can't exercise well if your hip hurts = vicious cycle. Been there. The injection wasn't too painful and it took about 2 weeks for a good effect. YMMV.

I agree with Gettysburg.

Please get your own private guide, Mr. Terry Fox. Cannot say enough good things about him. He drove our rental car from site to site after discussing what our interests were. As I was still recovering from the leg thing, I sat in the car a lot, but did make it out onto the "high water mark" area to see an area where the men of Massachusetts stood during Pickett's charge. So moving.
Don't go in July - because of the battle anniversary and weather. Again, jmho.

http://www.gettysburgtourguides.org/roster.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...ttlefield_Guides-Gettysburg_Pennsylvania.html

Also, Boston. The true cradle of liberty IMNSHO. Any bias is purely coincidental.

We have Harvard & MIT, the MFA Boston (www.mfa.org) and the Museum of Science.

The Freedom Trail (.........one if by land........), etc.

The Beaglemobile and driver are at your disposal. I have taken a few Tuggers out to see Concord (Old North Bridge), Orchard House (Alcotts-Little Women), Lexington Green (where it really got started), Walden Pond and the Harvard, Ma.- Shakers Settlement.

-

Last edited:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't count out Washington DC. Why not rent a travel scooter, one that can easily break into pieces to fit in the car? Tomorrow isn't given to anybody. You should go if that is what you want to do. Don't let your body limit your mind. And certainly don't worry about what others think.

Fern

Any suggestions?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Between Virginia Beach and Williamsburg is an area called Hampton Roads,
Norfolk, Hampton, New Port News. There are naval ship yards with boat tours, they go up and down and tell you about all the current ships in residence. The Nauticus museum with the Battleship Wisconsin, Virginia Air and Space Museum.

http://www.coastalvirginiamag.com/May-June-2011/Hampton-Roads-Museums-Guide/

There is a nice tour of the old lighthouse at Cape Henry in Virginia Beach. If you want to go a little further north on the trip you can take the Bridge tunnel over to the Eastern Shore of Virginia.

Getting a nice 1 br oceanfront resort in Virginia Beach isn't that difficult in April and early May. Easter week takes a little more planning - we are already booked in a 2 br ocean front for 2015 but we are stuck to the school calender. Late April and early May would be even nicer weather wise.

Another nice thing about this area is there are always tons of groupons for different activities. Entertainment type books also have a bunch of 2 for 1's.

These are boat tours we have enjoyed. http://www.navalbasecruises.com/
http://misshamptoncruises.com/
http://www.americanrover.com/

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Love all of the ideas.

Ron and Fern: Washington D.C. is definitely on my bucket list, but I am thinking 2016. Yes, Fern, I get what you are saying. I will definitely make it to D.C. in 2016, and I hope to be walking. If not, I will swallow my pride and get a scooter. I am a stubborn person and don't want people to push me in a wheelchair.

Beaglemom: we actually own an EOY week at Marriott's Custom House, even years. I deposited the week into II recently because I booked 7/11, and I really cannot see going anywhere like that with my hip. I would have loved to go! I did get a shot in my trochanter, and it's helped quite a bit, but the doctor told me no repetitive motion for long periods of time. So no walking or riding my bike for more than a few minutes. I am in physical therapy and do exercises daily.

Losing weight is very important. Any extra weight is putting a strain on my body. I am too old to even carry 30 pounds over my ideal weight. I have about 50 pounds to lose, 20 of it gained because I couldn't exercise. The burning in that hip, I know you get what I am going through! It feels like my hip is on fire.

I also had a week at Manhattan Club for 5/24, but I couldn't go to that one either. My hip would keep me from even short walks right now. It's really bad! And I have a wheelchair, and maybe I am stubborn, but Rick just cannot push me around NY in a wheelchair. Funny that I would go to San Francisco again, but NY is huge!

I could definitely see us at the Marriott in Atlantic City, then going various directions from there.

Gettysburg, we did that once with the kids when they were all in high school. It was one of the best trips we ever had. I would do it again! A guide is a great idea.

Love the idea of Virginia Beach and the ships. What resort would be ideal for Virginia Beach? We flew into Norfolk to visit Williamsburg, and that would be a nice place for us. I am leaning that direction for next year. Rick would go along with that too, because he loved our Virginia trip.

Hilton head is appealing for an April trip because the area will be less crowded, and the weather should be great. Charleston and Savannah, great ideas for day trips. Maybe we should do two weeks there and a few nights in a hotel, too. My stepsister (she died last August, and we were very close and close in age, too) always told me I would love Charleston and Savannah. She knew I was a huge fan of Gone with the Wind, and I always liked Scarlett, too, even though others see her as vain. I always thought her to be rather like most of us. But I read the book three times in my life, and I enjoyed the book so much more than the movie.

We might take a look at Myrtle Beach while there, too, maybe try out Sheraton Broadway Plantation. We own at SBP and might as well see what it is we own.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Everywhere we go we look for museums and historical places to visit. Every town you visit will have something to show you its link to the past.

Many are not significant on a national level but are very relevant to the inhabitants of each of the communities we visit.

With the internet, searching has become a lot easier than ever and I guarantee that where ever you choose to visit you will find something interesting.

Just for a small example we found an old sugar plantation near Daytona Beach and spend some time learning about that plantation and the sugar industry as a whole and how it influenced that area many years ago.

Another was a plantation we went to near Williamsburg and how the settler started building ships to get his tobacco back to England. There was a lot of info about the American Revolution and the Civil war in that area.

History is everywhere, you just need to seek it out.