• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selling a TS, when do you get paid?

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an offer for my TS. My only concern is that I won't be paid until the deed records. The agent said it takes 6 weeks in Virginia. Is that normally? How do I make sure I will be paid once the deed record completes?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I have an offer for my TS. My only concern is that I won't be paid until the deed records. The agent said it takes 6 weeks in Virginia. Is that normally? How do I make sure I will be paid once the deed record completes?

Typically, proceeds are not released from escrow until the deed is recorded and if title insurance is involved, its issuance is authorized. That is becuz who knows if you've incurred other liens or signed other deeds that beats theirs to the county office. But it really depends on the customary practices of the real estate industry in Virginia.

In an informal transaction, with no escrow or closing agent, you don't hand over a deed until you see cash on the barrel-head.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You make sure you get paid by using a reputable closing/escrow company. Who are you using?

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. The transaction is handled by NTHC. They agree to give us the check when we hand over our signed deed. Since we are only two hours away, we will go there for a weekend just to be safe.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound quite right to me...

The transaction is handled by NTHC. They agree to give us the check when we hand over our signed deed.

So, from the buyers' perspective, you're going to receive (and cash) their payment before (perhaps as long as 6-8 weeks before) the new deed gets officially recorded in their name as the new owners? :eek:

Sounds great for you, but I certainly would not be happy about that sequence of events if I was the buyer. This sequence of events sure does not fit my concept of proper "escrow" of transaction funds....

Last edited:

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I sell a timeshare that is worth anything. I don't think it is out of the line with other real estate purchase though. Don't we normally receive fund as soon as the deed was sent for recording? The title research should be done beforehand, right? When I purchased my home, the recorded deed come back a few weeks later. I don't think the seller had to wait that long to receive fund.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The owner of NTHC is a long-time, respected TUG member - you will be just fine.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Don't we normally receive fund as soon as the deed was sent for recording? The title research should be done beforehand, right?

Typically, after recording, the title search is continued from the inital search to make sure that no liens or interests have been appeared in the record between that time and the recording of the deed. For all they know, you may have sold the unit to two or three other people, and whoever's deed is recorded first wins the booby prize.

With a TS, it may be so unlikely or the amount so small that the escrow service/closing agent is willing to release funds on receipt of deed, but if it were of more significant value, waiting for the dust to settle is the better practice.

Last edited: