• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations at MVCI Resorts

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any EV charging stations installed at any MVCI resorts?

I know the hotels have been installing them across the USA and Europe.

I found this listing of hotels that currently offer at least 6 per property:

http://www.marriott.com/corporate-social-responsibility/electric-vehicle-hotels.mi

I suppose the implementation may be accelerated when Car rental companies begin to offer them to customers.

FT

Dewnay

TUG Member
Reaction score
We saw a pair of charging stations last week in the parking garage for the Naia tower at Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club on Oahu. Don't know if there are charging stations in the parking garages for the other buildings (Kona and Moana).

D.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We saw a pair of charging stations last week in the parking garage for the Naia tower at Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club on Oahu. Don't know if there are charging stations in the parking garages for the other buildings (Kona and Moana).

D.

I don't really understand why they would use capital funds to install these. Most people staying at MOC are not locals and a miniscule fraction of the rental car fleet is electric. If I owned there, I'm not sure I'd be thrilled with the decision unless there was some government incentive given to install them.

Could it be an employee benefit? I also wonder if charging was free or if it they require payment through a network like Chargepoint.

-ryan

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Legislation passed in 2012 (Hawaii) mandates that all parking lots with 100+ stalls must have dedicated EV charging stations. I believe it's called act 89.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We saw some while at Kauai Lagoons last year. Though they also have some whole ownership condos on the property too.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Legislation passed in 2012 (Hawaii) mandates that all parking lots with 100+ stalls must have dedicated EV charging stations. I believe it's called act 89.

thanks for the info.

I guess the government incentive is not being fined.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

And people wonder why their Hawaiian MF's are the highest anywhere......

Just sayin'

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

Good! Glad they're working to protect their natural beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the highest electic rates in the country, there isn't much incentive to go EV. Legislature tried to do something without spending money. Their money at least.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
EVCS

I saw two or three in the parking garage at Waiohai in Nov. 2013. During my week stay however I did not see one in use!

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
With the highest electic rates in the country, there isn't much incentive to go EV. Legislature tried to do something without spending money. Their money at least.

But don't you also have the highest gasoline prices too?

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes but...

National average of mid-range gasoline yesterday was $3.85/gal, by my house this morning $4.49/gal.

National average of electricity 11.88 cent/KWhr, Hawaii is 37.11 cents/KWhr.

I haven't ran the math, but talking to my PV guy he would recommend doubling my PV system if I purchased a EV. I have a 32 panel system roughly 8KW. My Electric bill was $400-$500/month, not its net -$100. So basically he's saying I could spend about $400/month on a EV. I don't spend that much on gas and I have a 92 4-runner. I spend maybe $240.

Again I haven't ran the numbers myself but I figure he couldn't be that far off.

SnowDogDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yay slum808 for using photo voltaic (solar electric). I have 30 panels on the roof of my house. Installed the first phase in 2009. The system is now fully paid for, thanks to government incentives and a very high price per KWh for electricity.

But, to the question about Marriott resorts from FractionalTraveler...

My home resort (Marriott Grand Residence Club in South Lake) has a Tesla Supercharger that was donated by Tesla. It is currently used a few times a month, from what I understand. The association paid for the wiring.

We are also putting in some standard 30 amp EV charging pedestals. The charging equipment was mostly provided though an incentive program (free to the owners). The association has to cover the cost of the wiring, permitting, and, of course, the ongoing electricity costs per month. Initially, use is going to be free (covered as part of the parking fee) but that may change as usage increases.

A large percentage of the owners at the Grand Residence Lake Tahoe are from Sacramento or the Bay Area. Well within the range of the new Tesla sedans and within the range of other cars if you stop to charge up at a few charging stations along the way.