• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pharmacies in Mexico

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read in another thread about Cabo that the only drugs that require a prescription are opiates and antibiotics. My husband takes a pretty expensive medication that has no generic alternative (Viibryd is $150 a month with insurance) I also use a pretty expensive topical steroid for acne. Is it likely that I can obtain these medications in Mexico at a discount? I have valid prescriptions for both medications, should I take them along with me?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have bought generics and equivalents in Mexico- back before I had good Rx insurance. At that time I could get some acceptable meds at some discount, but not newer, or brand-name medications. After getting 'script insurance, my out-of-pocket costs were less at home than in Mexico where there is no insurance coverage to help ease the cost.

But your question of should you take the 'scripts and check? Sure. It can't hurt. They DO have lots of over-the-counter items that are only by prescription here, and most big 'farmacias' have a 'back room' doc who can provide a 'script if you want to buy them. Especially for the opiates, you would want to have a 'script to bring them back to USA. The Feds could take a dim view if they should find them in your bag without one.

Jim

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have bought generics and equivalents in Mexico- back before I had good Rx insurance. At that time I could get some acceptable meds at some discount, but not newer, or brand-name medications. After getting 'script insurance, my out-of-pocket costs were less at home than in Mexico where there is no insurance coverage to help ease the cost.

But your question of should you take the 'scripts and check? Sure. It can't hurt. They DO have lots of over-the-counter items that are only by prescription here, and most big 'farmacias' have a 'back room' doc who can provide a 'script if you want to buy them. Especially for the opiates, you would want to have a 'script to bring them back to USA. The Feds could take a dim view if they should find them in your bag without one.

Jim

Thanks for the info, I'm not in need of any opiates but sure as heck would love to stock up on my husbands meds if nothing else because it is pretty expensive. He has been through a ton of meds and these while expensive work really well for him. Sadly insurance would rather him take something that is nowhere near as effective for him in an effort for them to save a buck. Because his menatal health is important we'll keep paying but to be able to save some money would be awesome. The one acne med for me is expensive but when I spend $140 on a tube it lasts me about 5 months.

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The doctors outside of the farmacias in cancun were quick. Needed an antibiotic that they wouldn't sell me unless I bought a jumbo pack of ten without a prescription. A hundred dollars for 10 z-packs was ridiculous. Went to the next door doctor and the visit was $3.50. He gave me a prescription for the antibiotic that I really needed and not the one I was guessing I needed. Worth the doctor visit.

Neesie

TUG Member
Reaction score
The doctors outside of the farmacias in cancun were quick. Needed an antibiotic that they wouldn't sell me unless I bought a jumbo pack of ten without a prescription. A hundred dollars for 10 z-packs was ridiculous. Went to the next door doctor and the visit was $3.50. He gave me a prescription for the antibiotic that I really needed and not the one I was guessing I needed. Worth the doctor visit.

Good point. I used to bring home inhalers and one time a pharmacy wanted me to buy in bulk, more than I needed. I decided not to and so bargained for only what I needed and they agreed. We're not used to dickering with stores and pharmacies so it doesn't come first nature. But it works.

herillc

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP, ask about Viibyd savings card to your husband's dr.
Viibryd has two types of savings card, one is a co-pay card which can save $100 or so per month, and the other one is three months supply for free card.
I don't think there is any generic for Viibryd yet.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Def. worth checking into but sometimes meds are more expensive here after your insurance input. Many stress/Anxiety and antipsychotic pills also require script in Mexico. Good luck..:whoopie: