• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stock for Roth

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
GSAT It is a OTC stock being listed on the NYSE this coming Monday.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out Sector Surfer for proven performance. Open an account at Fidelity and pick one of the Fidelity Strategies of funds. The cost is $10 per month for each strategy, but worth every penny. If you stick with it, you can make a guaranteed 20 percent a year or better.

http://sumgrowth.com/

Regarding Whole Food, or WFM. It might be good in the long term, but the timing right now is not good. A few weeks ago, the talking heads on Option Action recommended a Put on them and so far they are right. When the stock was at 55, I bought a 50 strike May put and it is doing well. The stock continues to trend down and crossed the 200 day moving average to go into bear territory. If you decide to buy, wait until it trends up. It might go as low as $41 a share, but it should find support there and maybe do well after that.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, some interesting ideas. I did notice the usual posters posted the negative responses and criticism I specifically asked them not to post. Tell me you people what is it like to live in your sad, serious, no wonderment world?? Do you ever experience things outside your comfort zone? Or is it so easy to be critical of others because it is the internet?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, some interesting ideas. I did notice the usual posters posted the negative responses and criticism I specifically asked them not to post. Tell me you people what is it like to live in your sad, serious, no wonderment world?? Do you ever experience things outside your comfort zone? Or is it so easy to be critical of others because it is the internet?

You'll have to come back in a year or two and hold everyone accountable for their predictions! Good luck.

geekette

Reaction score

that was a little uncalled for, especially given your last line.

I have no hot stock picks for you so remained silent. Apparently it's good I did lest I reveal my sad serious no wonderment world.

oops, crap, now everyone knows.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
With Walmart just announcing they are getting into the organic foods market in a big way, I would think that will put some serious price pressure on the likes of Whole Foods and drive the price and profit margins down.

I think the best days for WFM are behind us.

Kurt

Whole Foods Market (WFM) is down 14% after the market close today to the previously mentioned $41 support level due to an earnings disappointment. The beginning of the end or "buying opportunity"? Place your bets.

WalMart shoppers are more price-conscious than health-conscious. I don't think Whole Foods has to worry about losing customers to WalMart. Trader Joe's is a more significant competitor.

WFM wasn't interesting 2 weeks ago, but this sell-off may present a nice swing trade opportunity.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like to go with companies that I have personal interaction with and I see them as best of breed. I also only buy stocks that offer dividends.

Costco, Disney and Marriott are a few that come to mind.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
WalMart shoppers are more price-conscious than health-conscious. I don't think Whole Foods has to worry about losing customers to WalMart. Trader Joe's is a more significant competitor.

I see plenty of my neighbors who live in the "nice" part of the neighborhood (read: $800K+ homes) shopping at Walmart. And by the looks of the vehicles in the lot, they are not alone. Granted, this particular Walmart is located in an upper-middle class area, but I don't see just the price-conscious shopping there. I believe, as I stated before, that the entrance into the organic foods market by Walmart will put price pressure on the likes of Whole Foods.

Walmart can be a very influential competitor due to their broad base. Think of those people who are health-conscious and shop at Walmart for some items and Whole Foods for their organic food supplies. With Walmart providing a good selection of organic foods, you don't think some of them will save a trip and only go to Walmart instead of both? I think that has the potential to be a non-trivial portion of their customer base.

Whole Foods Market (WFM) is down 14% after the market close today to the previously mentioned $41 support level due to an earnings disappointment. The beginning of the end or "buying opportunity"? Place your bets.

WFM wasn't interesting 2 weeks ago, but this sell-off may present a nice swing trade opportunity.

Even with what I said above, I would agree WFM looks interesting. I think they are still a good and solid company, but I don't see them having the explosive growth they have had in the past.

Given that they are trading at the bottom of their 52-week range, it seems like it might be a decent time to jump in (or at least less-risky).

Just my opinions...
Kurt

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In my peer group of upper-middle-class moms, ie. WFM target demo, many of them no longer even step foot into Wal-Mart, unless it is for some very specific item that they can't get at Target.

Trader Joe's is a much bigger threat, esp. since their biz model is to only build new stores within sight lines of current Whole Foods, or, if not in direct sight, no more than 1/2 mile away.

Personally, I don't shop at either, really. My CSA provides me with a fantastic dividend of locally-grown and sustainably-harvested veggies all summer long for a very minimal investment (about $16/week.) As the drought continues in CA, and prices for foods with high-carbon-footprints rise, I think it will change the biz models for many grocers. Esp. in areas where there are good, local choices available.

My 2 cents.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Interesting... This article:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/foods-cuts-outlook-shares-fall-23611993

is basically saying the same thing I said two weeks ago on this thread regarding WFM.

The company, based in Austin, Texas, has grown in popularity by positioning itself as a purveyor of wholesome foods. More recently, however, its dominance among the healthy-eating set has been challenged as traditional supermarkets, big-box stores and even online retailers step up their organic and natural offerings.

and

To appeal to a wider base of customers, Whole Foods Market Inc. has been trying to keep its prices down

Sure looks like price pressure from the big-box stores. In a slim-margin business, that can really hurt the little guy.

Kurt

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my peer group of upper-middle-class moms, ie. WFM target demo, many of them no longer even step foot into Wal-Mart, ...

That describes my wife and SIL who make a weekly pilgrimage to the new Trader Joe's in Denver. They probably pass by or near at least 3 WalMarts and countless traditional grocery stores to get there.

It is definitely more than just the "newness" factor at work. There is a certain fanatical chain loyalty to organic shoppers, and WalMart does not stand a snowball's chance of capturing any of that demographic. Whole Foods Market, Sprout's and Trader Joe's will be duking it out for their business. If WalMart's foray into the organic foods market is intended for all their food stores, and not just certain niche stores, it is destined to make the Edsel look like a success story.

Look at what WalMart carries for wines -- primarily the box and jug types. Perfect for their demographic who wants to pick up something while shopping at WalMart, but absolutely no threat to any local liquor retailer with a selection of quality bottled wines.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding Whole Food, or WFM. It might be good in the long term, but the timing right now is not good. A few weeks ago, the talking heads on Option Action recommended a Put on them and so far they are right. When the stock was at 55, I bought a 50 strike May put and it is doing well. The stock continues to trend down and crossed the 200 day moving average to go into bear territory. If you decide to buy, wait until it trends up. It might go as low as $41 a share, but it should find support there and maybe do well after that.

When I stated $41 a share three weeks ago, that was based on normal price action. Bad news, like the earnings report yesterday can cancel out technical analysis and throw out any forecast for support or resistance. The bottom was probably in today at $37.31 and the chart is putting in a hammer candle and it looks like the stock should start going higher from here. If tomorrow is up, that might be a good time to buy for those that love WFM. However, it could be a long time before it gets back to the $65 price it hit six months ago in November. There will be a lot of sellers along the way that will wait for the stock to get back to the price they bought it at so they can break even.

I sold my put option, I think the bottom is in. I might buy a call tomorrow. In the short term, traders will probably come in to buy the stock and it will trade up to close the gap at $48 a share, but it will have a difficult time going higher after that. It could be a really long time before it gets back to the price it was six months ago. Take a look at how long Apple has been down since it hit $700.

Last edited:

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Its still not to late

I hope you got in early. This stock will $10 before the end of the year.

Capture.PNG

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
2 Stocks That Have Fallen to Very Attractive Levels - by Wallace Forbes/ Forbes Staff/ Markets/ An Interview with Mike McGarr, CFA, Portfolio Manager and Equity Research Analyst, Becker Capital Management/ forbes.com

"Becker Capital Management was founded in 1976. We are a long-only, value-oriented investor. We currently manage about $3.1 billion of total assets, and our Becker Value Equity Fund currently has about $315 million in assets under management.

Our portfolios typically hold between 55 and 65 stocks, and we generally experience relatively low turnover. It’s a very team-oriented process here. We look for companies with basic characteristics like being out of favor as measured by recent underperformance, low valuation, and Wall Street sentiment..."

See the interview for the 2 stocks he recently added to their portfolio.

Richard