• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Fairmont / Sunchaser / Northwynd official thread with lawsuit info!

ClanMac

Reaction score
It seems that every time I make a post there is silence for some time. Responding is a good way to keep the digging going; and I am so very proud of where we have come. No one is backing down and if you keep digging you will eventually bury these sob's!!!

Take this for example:

1. 40 million owed to unit holders

2. Northwynd's stated primary goal is to "exploit" the resorts and property to pay the unit holders their principal & interest; and to leave them with an investment that would ensure profitability.

3. Northmont CC replied to me on this site and stated that "their have been no investments into the REIT under Northwynd.

4. With no other TS sales, the conversion fees/sales fiasco, there is no other money coming from anywhere other than the existing TS leases/owners.

5. There has been no financial accountability other than one Collins Barrow audited statement that clearly stated there was no accountability at transition; and the statement did not breakdown where revenue was coming from afterwards.

6. This sure as hell wasn't in my contract!!!!!

aden2

Reaction score
Madame Justice Loo in her summary agreed that the Fairmont/Northwynd Villas etc. were badly need of repair. What contradicts this fact is in 2009/2010 the "Legacy for Life" promotion stated just the opposite. The resort was a great investment and very profitable!

Joron10

Reaction score
Sauvageau

I received my letter from Sauvageau today. Forwarded it to Mr. Geldert.
Has anyone heard of II not honouring deposited weeks from 2012 or 2013? I will use them if I am guaranteed I will not have my vacation pulled out from under me. On the II website, it does say they will honour weeks that may be unusable in the future. Not sure if I should trust that.

fairmontlvr

Reaction score
What does Northwynd do with its surplus inventory?

Wonder what Northwynd is doing with surplus inventory as a result of an influx of timeshare owners baling out and/or us "owners" that are fighting Northwynd through the lawsuit and not allowed to book our time this year?

I was perusing through the web googling Fairmont Sunchaser and came across a site that might give an indication of what they are doing.

tradingplaces.com may have an answer. If you go to this site and then click on Vacation Rentals and under Hot Deals then select Canada and then select Sunchaser, you will see that there are a selection of units available. Now I know that individual owners have used such sites to sale off the odd week here or there but to see the following units coming up for rent at the following prices leads one to believe this is not individual owners, but Northwynd trying to rent them:

Hillside June 1 - June 8 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $347
Hillside June 5 - June 12 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $347
Hillside June 7 - June 14 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $347
Hillside June 8 - June 15 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $416
Hillside June 19- June 26 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $416
Hillside June 21- June 28 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $416
Hillside June 22- June 29 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $416

Riverside May 2 - May 9 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $249

A bit ironic the pricing is similar and increases later into June.
Note that the site does not indicate if these are A or B units of the lockoffs however, the cost is significantly less than half the price of what the Maintenance fees currently are.

If Northwynd is indeed behind this, why would anyone continue dumping money into Northwynd and continue to pay the high Maintenance fee when they could in fact rent from a site such as this at less then the cost of the Maintenance fee? If Northwynd is indeed behind this, certainly they are paying this site for listing and/or a price for each purchase for each rental booked through this site, thus bringing the true amount Northwynd is realizing for each booking. Does this money they obtain go towards Maintenance fees or does it go towards the Northwynd creditors? Interesting.....

Last edited:

Spark1

Reaction score
Wonder what Northwynd is doing with surplus inventory as a result of an influx of timeshare owners baling out and/or us "owners" that are fighting Northwynd through the lawsuit and not allowed to book our time this year?

I was perusing through the web googling Fairmont Sunchaser and came across a site that might give an indication of what they are doing.

tradingplaces.com may have an answer. If you go to this site and then click on Vacation Rentals and under Hot Deals then select Canada and then select Sunchaser, you will see that there are a selection of units available. Now I know that individual owners have used such sites to sale off the odd week here or there but to see the following units coming up for rent at the following prices leads one to believe this is not individual owners, but Northwynd trying to rent them:

Hillside June 1 - June 8 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $347
Hillside June 5 - June 12 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $347
Hillside June 7 - June 14 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $347
Hillside June 8 - June 15 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $416
Hillside June 19- June 26 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $416
Hillside June 21- June 28 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $416
Hillside June 22- June 29 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $416

Riverside May 2 - May 9 1 bedroom sleeps 4 $249

A bit ironic the pricing is similar and increases later into June.
Note that the site does not indicate if these are A or B units of the lockoffs however, the cost is significantly less than half the price of what the Maintenance fees currently are.

If Northwynd is indeed behind this, why would anyone continue dumping money into Northwynd and continue to pay the high Maintenance fee when they could in fact rent from a site such as this at less then the cost of the Maintenance fee? If Northwynd is indeed behind this, certainly they are paying this site for listing and/or a price for each purchase for each rental booked through this site, thus bringing the true amount Northwynd is realizing for each booking. Does this money they obtain go towards Maintenance fees or does it go towards the Northwynd creditors? Interesting.....
II have a lot of getaways for this resort and the prices are maybe 40.00 dollars higher for a 1 bedroom sleep 4. The only two months they are not showing many getaways are July and August. They are showing this resort as a 5star resort. For anyone that travels a lot knows this is not a 5 star resort. We were there two years ago and had to ask to be moved because the condo they had us scheduled to move in was so dirty you did not want to walk on the rug . This was on riverside. II should be more careful what they are calling a 5star. This resort is not worth half the maintenance fees they are asking. If you want to see all the condos that they have listed on getaways click on the small + sign at the bottem of the first page of getaways and start counting. Northwynd are small timers that think they are first and I can not wait to get rid of them forever.

fairmontlvr

Reaction score
II have a lot of getaways for this resort and the prices are maybe 40.00 dollars higher for a 1 bedroom sleep 4. The only two months they are not showing many getaways are July and August. They are showing this resort as a 5star resort. For anyone that travels a lot knows this is not a 5 star resort. We were there two years ago and had to ask to be moved because the condo they had us scheduled to move in was so dirty you did not want to walk on the rug . This was on riverside. II should be more careful what they are calling a 5star. This resort is not worth half the maintenance fees they are asking. If you want to see all the condos that they have listed on getaways click on the small + sign at the bottem of the first page of getaways and start counting. Northwynd are small timers that think they are first and I can not wait to get rid of them forever.

We have never used II as we have always stayed at Fairmont, using the time we owned. We typically stayed in the Hillside Units which were fine to us, sure not five star but far from need of major renovations.

I think the point of my post is the question as to whether Northwynd is in fact placing rentals on the market at a lower price then the maintenance fee and if so, what percent of this fee collected goes towards the pool of maintenance fees?

If I had bought into their renovation scheme and found out that my maintenance fee is in fact subsidizing those that are renting units from an outside agency at a lower rate, I would be very pissed off.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last I checked there were over 700 weeks combined for the Northwyd properties in fairmont in RCI/II. There were also multiple weeks in July and August, but passed since we have plans this summer for Elkhorn in Manitoba.

I scratch my head when I can rent cheaper than owning, including prime season. It is one of my red flags for a resort and the reason I passed on a free unit. (before the reno fees).

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
In RCI....

RCI Silver Crown - Advanced Search Sunchaser Vacation Villas (#C158)
Fairmont Hot Springs, Canada V0B 1L1 map resort

Rating: (23)
Check-In Date Range
27-Apr-2014 - 28-Dec-2014
1 Bedroom 2 Bedroom
296 available units

RCI Hospitality - Save This Search Sunchaser Vacation Villas at Riverside (#C521)
Fairmont Hot Springs, Canada V0B 1L1 map resort

Rating: (13)
Check-In Date Range
05-Oct-2014 - 03-Jan-2015
1 Bedroom 2 Bedroom
48 available units

aden2

Reaction score
Resorts that have achieved excellence in providing outstanding vacation experiences for RCI subscribing members receive the RCI Silver Crown Resort award. This award designates resorts that have met or exceeded specific standards in the areas of unit housekeeping, unit maintenance, resort maintenance, hospitality and check-in/check-out procedures. This award was given to Sunchaser Villas for 2013

This is excellent for Sunchaser Villas because it's CO swore an affidavit that the resort was run down, and that Madame Justice Loo concurred.

Last edited:

fairmontlvr

Reaction score
Resorts that have achieved excellence in providing outstanding vacation experiences for RCI subscribing members receive the RCI Silver Crown Resort award. This award designates resorts that have met or exceeded specific standards in the areas of unit housekeeping, unit maintenance, resort maintenance, hospitality and check-in/check-out procedures. This award was given to Sunchaser Villas for 2013

This is excellent for Sunchaser Villas because it's CO swore an affidavit that the resort was run down, and that Madame Justice Loo concurred.

And on a note to owners back in 2010, Northwynd gives us the following assurance:

http://www.northwynd.ca/pdf/Message to Owners.pdf

If you can't open this, here is the quote:

"Northwynd is a new company with new management, and with a commitment to providing our
owners and guests with continued vacation ownership experiences and stays that meet the high
standards to which our clients have become accustomed.

At this time, we anticipate no changes to our owners’ benefits, rights and obligations and operations
at our resorts will continue uninterrupted. We continue to be affiliated with the two leaders in
timeshare exchange, RCI and Interval International. Membership and trading opportunities depend
on the home resort affiliation.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen a Northwynd resort property
and look forward to continuing to provide you with high-quality vacation experiences for you and
your family"

... "a commitment to providing our owners and guests with continued vacation ownership experiences and stays that meet the high standards to which our clients have become accustomed. "

"No changes to owner's benefits, rights and obligations and operations "

I do believe these statements have been breached.

Last edited:

fairmontlvr

Reaction score
Google Search

Interesting how one can use google search engine with a set date range. I googled Fairmont Northwynd and set a date range from 2010 to 2012 found some interesting information regarding Northwynd.
How about this one:
http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/8775562810

Shows that in 2011, Northwynd was calling to encourage members to upgrade to the Legacy for Life.

Ever wonder where the name Sunchaser came from? How about this article?
http://www.insidethegate.com/gatehouse/2011/10/western-usa-october-22-2011/

Back in 2009 the timeshare portion of the property in Hawaii was called Sunchaser Vacation Club as we know this was owned at the time by Fairmont Resort Properties Ltd.

ClanMac

Reaction score
Been reading the submissions and responses RE: the appeal, and will re-read to make sure I understood correctly. If so the door is being pushed to open submissions with respect to the validity of the contracts outside of consideration of the legitimacy of adding the renovation costs to the maintenance requirements.

If we can contest this armed with the history of Fairmont/Northwynd failing to meet their obligations and providing audited evidence that misstatements, fraud etc. may/likely has occurred; and there has never been any true accountability of where the money has been going other than what they have been sucking out of us, it will be a fairly damning case against them.

The principle of "fairness" which I have said is inherent in establishing a contractual agreement has been raised.

Could you imagine what the court and the media/public would think if near a thousand of us showed up on the steps of the courthouse. It wouldn't take a whole lot to blow this wide open, and this is usually where fairness reigns!!!

Spark1

Reaction score
Been reading the submissions and responses RE: the appeal, and will re-read to make sure I understood correctly. If so the door is being pushed to open submissions with respect to the validity of the contracts outside of consideration of the legitimacy of adding the renovation costs to the maintenance requirements.

If we can contest this armed with the history of Fairmont/Northwynd failing to meet their obligations and providing audited evidence that misstatements, fraud etc. may/likely has occurred; and there has never been any true accountability of where the money has been going other than what they have been sucking out of us, it will be a fairly damning case against them.

The principle of "fairness" which I have said is inherent in establishing a contractual agreement has been raised.

Could you imagine what the court and the media/public would think if near a thousand of us showed up on the steps of the courthouse. It wouldn't take a whole lot to blow this wide open, and this is usually where fairness reigns!!!
I totally agree with you about the 1000 more or less of us showing up on the steps of the courthouse. We have lived with this knot in our stomachs long enough. There is over 1000 views on this site per week so there is a lot of concern about the outcome of this appeal. Posting does not seem to be real but live mad bodies on the steps of the courthouse will be real. It would be nice if other viewers would post and let us know if you intend to show up at the courthouse and that would be real and just maybe we could meet these Northwynd bandits.

GarryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with you about the 1000 more or less of us showing up on the steps of the courthouse. We have lived with this knot in our stomachs long enough. There is over 1000 views on this site per week so there is a lot of concern about the outcome of this appeal. Posting does not seem to be real but live mad bodies on the steps of the courthouse will be real. It would be nice if other viewers would post and let us know if you intend to show up at the courthouse and that would be real and just maybe we could meet these Northwynd bandits.

The Lessees (we are not Owners) are spread all over the country with, I presume, a high percentage in Southern Alberta. Are there even a hundred in the Lower Mainland or on The Island that could get there? That many with a few placards could get the media's attention I think. Now that would be making a statement. Where is the appeal taking place? Do we have a time?

GypsyOne

Reaction score
The Lessees (we are not Owners) are spread all over the country with, I presume, a high percentage in Southern Alberta. Are there even a hundred in the Lower Mainland or on The Island that could get there? That many with a few placards could get the media's attention I think. Now that would be making a statement. Where is the appeal taking place? Do we have a time?

A public demonstration would be effective in grabbing media attention. Judges would also pay attention. The appeal hearing is May 12.

Garry makes another good point. We are lessees, not owners as Northmont likes to say and as Justice Loo has mistakenly lumped us all together in her ruling. Once again, there are those who have lease agreements and there are those who have co-ownership agreements, and the two are significantly different in responsibility. "Owners" connotes being responsible for capital reconstruction of the resort which, for the leaseholders (lessees or tenants), clearly we are not.

GarryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suppose any access to the current list of Lessees and Owners is beyond our reach at this point. This is one of the 'breaches' of our agreement by Fairmont/Northwynd as I understand it. Can they continue to 'breach' this clause if we insist on setting up a 'Sunchaser Lessee/Owners Association at Fairmont' right now? On what basis can they refuse if that clause (Clause #19 in my Vacation Villa Lease Agreement dated May 11, 1998) is still part of our Agreement?

In order to establish an association, we require a complete and current list of names, addresses and contact information which, so says my Agreement, "The Lessor agrees to cooperate with the lessees in the formation of such an association and agrees to recognize the association, if it is duly constituted, provided the by-laws, rules and regulations of the association do not in any way conflict with the provisions of this Lease or in any way affects the rights of the Lessor."

I have not included the entire clause here, but everyone can read it in their agreement. There is no provision in Clause 19 as to when, during the term of the agreement, such an association must be or should be established.

My question then is this: Can Northwynd refuse to release the information and cooperation necessary to assist in setting up a Lessee's Association?

Anxiety123

Reaction score
Why are so many people just waiting for an outcome??

My concern is that there are many owners that are just sitting back waiting to see what will happen with the owners that are helping with lawyer fees and fighting. I personally know of three that are doing just that!

Oh well, I can feel good that I am helping with the fight. Hope others join in or we all will be taken to Small Claims and paying them what they want.

MFD

Reaction score
A public demonstration would be effective in grabbing media attention. Judges would also pay attention. The appeal hearing is May 12.

Garry makes another good point. We are lessees, not owners as Northmont likes to say and as Justice Loo has mistakenly lumped us all together in her ruling. Once again, there are those who have lease agreements and there are those who have co-ownership agreements, and the two are significantly different in responsibility. "Owners" connotes being responsible for capital reconstruction of the resort which, for the leaseholders (lessees or tenants), clearly we are not.

GypsyOne, I have always respected and appreciated your previous posts, however this recent one, I find slightly disappointing. Some of us, that have also signed on with the lawyers to fight this are also co-owners, and not by choice. Whether it happened because we bought our timeshares after Northwynd took over, or through the Legacy for Life scam (from what I've learnt, these contracts were converted from leases to co-ownership as well?), we are all in this together. To say that those of us who have co-ownership are responsible and that the lessees aren't, only separates us, when we should stay united. I think we can all agree that Northwynd has deceived us all, lessees and co-owners alike, making comments like this may also discourage other co-owners still sitting on the fence from joining us in this fight for what is right.

GarryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
MFD

GypsyOne, I have always respected and appreciated your previous posts, however this recent one, I find slightly disappointing. Some of us, that have also signed on with the lawyers to fight this are also co-owners, and not by choice. Whether it happened because we bought our timeshares after Northwynd took over, or through the Legacy for Life scam (from what I've learnt, these contracts were converted from leases to co-ownership as well?), we are all in this together. To say that those of us who have co-ownership are responsible and that the lessees aren't, only separates us, when we should stay united. I think we can all agree that Northwynd has deceived us all, lessees and co-owners alike, making comments like this may also discourage other co-owners still sitting on the fence from joining us in this fight for what is right.

MFD, you are absolutely right that we are in this mess together. Northwynd/Northmont does not discriminate as to the colour of our money. They want it from anyone who has affixed their signature to any of their documents.
That being said, we come to this party by having signed different agreements which should be interpreted on their own merits (demerits?). Lessees of time within someone else's suite with a specific end date and no equity are clearly in a different league than deeded equity owners/co-owners.
Regardless of our relative positions, the only possible course of action is to join together and fight a common enemy an a level playing field. At the moment, we are at a disadvantage because we have no access to lessee and co-owner contact lists. A push to form an association should be pursued, in my opinion, to force Northwynd to release this information.

GypsyOne

Reaction score

I also have concern about how defending our case from the point of view of the lease agreements might affect the timeshare owners with co-ownership agreements. I probably didn't word my previous post as well as I might have. I covered my concerns more fully in my January 8, 2014, post #1164, which I will re-post here:

One of the side effects of pointing out the two types of Vacation Villa Agreements, namely lease agreement and co-ownership agreement, is that the owners with the Legacy for Life co-ownership agreements may feel they are being thrown under the bus. Those with the lease agreements have no choice but to vigorously point out that there is no possible way that responsibility for paying capital costs is included in the lease agreements. As much as Northwynd would try to convince you otherwise, there is not one word mentioning capital costs or capital replacement in the lease agreements. On the other hand, those who bought into the Legacy for Life agreements had the phrase “to pay the costs of capital improvements” added to the new agreements. And of course, that is the very reason for the blitz to convert to the co-ownership agreements. Northwynd knew they were on shaky ground in asking the leaseholders for reconstruction money. The legacy for life, by the way, is a legacy of paying for the re-construction of failing buildings for life.

The Legacy For Life owners would seem to have a different challenge, and that is to prove misrepresentation in the lease to ownership conversion. I did not attend the sales session so I don’t know exactly how they were conducted, but I’ve heard from several who did attend. They report variously: No information given about changes to the expense obligation; no verbal information given about the state of the buildings, Poly B plumbing, etc.; some report that CD’s were given to take home to view that may have had disclosure information; chatty salespersons who distract you with conversation when you try to read the agreement; pressure to sign immediately in order to get the “sweetheart” deal.

The British Columbia Real Estate Association requires that its members complete a Property Disclosure Statement for real estate transactions. The questionnaire asks very specific questions about structural problems of various components of the building. Holders of Legacy for Life Agreements should check to see what disclosures they were given and whether any consumer protection laws were violated. (end of post #1164)

The point I'd like to emphasize is that with the exception of that one difference between a lease and a co-ownership agreement, I assume our lawyers will argue our case on essentially the same issues. Namely, numerous instances of misrepresentation and breaches of contract. A win for one should be a win for all, regardless of the type of agreement. But the only way to have one's case represented is to lodge affidavits with the court and to sign on with one of the lawyers.

Just a comment on the concern raised previously by Anxiety123 about timeshare owners sitting on the sidelines. Those that think they can get a free ride are fooling themselves. If we win, owners will need a lawyer to see that we get a complete and unconditional discharge. A settlement negotiated by the lawyers is always a possibility, in which case owners will need to be clients of a law firm to get the benefits. Because of the large number of timeshare owners on board the cost per owner is minimal. There is strength in numbers and the more timeshare owners we have on our side the greater our chance for success.

GarryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone forward contact info for law firm (Mr. Geldert)?

It is May 1, 2014. In eleven days (on Tuesday the 12th), Michael Geldert heads back into court to represent the interests of those who have joined together as Lessees and Co-owners at Sunchaser to begin the process of A) appealing the decision forcing us to pay large sums of money for the exclusive use of Northmont executives, and B) more importantly, introducing significant facts to the Court regarding our Agreements not previously heard.

This is a developing situation and you cannot afford to risk being on your own (for those not in our group). For a small sum, I highly recommend you contact Michael's office and get your name on this petition. Please do not leave this to the last minute.

I also urge those viewing this post to contact any owners or lessees you know and forward to them this information. Thank you.

Michael Geldert
Geldert Law
2704A - 930 Seymour, Vancouver, B.C. V6B 1B4
www.geldertlaw.com
Phone 778-330-7774

Spark1

Reaction score
Can someone forward contact info for law firm (Mr. Geldert)?

For you new posters there is a lot of reading to do with 56 pages. I would like to share with you some of the posts that I believe have a big impact of what we are up against. You should read post 891buy Gypsyone page 36, post 1128 buy no_more page46,post 1137 buy ClanMac Page 46, post1258 buy ClanMac page 51 and post 1323 buy ClanMac page 53. The reason I picked these posts is you new tug readers can see how badly all of us have been breached buy Fairmont and Northwynd. I hope lease owners and co-owners do not cave in and pay these guys any money if you get the phone call from the other crooked bill collector company. This appeal is just one item and I feel our lawyers are doing a great job preparing for this appeal but keep in mind we might have to deal with all the breaches and I am prepared to do this if we have to. So get off the fence and hire Geldert Law

GypsyOne

Reaction score
Collection Agency

I'm curious as to whether anyone reading these pages has been contacted directly by phone by the collection firm Sauvageau & Associates. If so, what was the message? Did they name a payout figure as at this date and how did it vary from their first notification by letter? And did they offer a discount if you paid immediately? Any information would be appreciated.