• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Contract/Credit Report Technicallity

njgebo04

Reaction score
I've been looking over this site for a while and found some good advice and I was hoping to squeeze some more out of your experienced minds.
Back info
I bought a timeshare from Silverleaf Resorts in Lee, Mass. "Oak N' Spruce Resort" roughly a year and a half ago. When I bought this piece of "property" I was told that I could take there outrageous loan rate of 17.5% and get it refinanced at a local bank to lower the rate. I've been actually trying to get out of the timeshare because of money issues but figured for the time being that I would try to lower the rate.
Issue
When I went to the bank to refinance the loan they said that they could get it approved because of two reasons. (I know they aren't supposed to tell but I know them so...) 1. My credit score was mediocre but not horrible. 2. My credit report didn't have any record of a loan with Silverleaf Resorts which they thought was odd since it is supposed to be reported with in 30 days of signing the papers. When I talked to Silverleaf over the phone about the issue, they said "At some point they might put it on there."
Solution
Is it possible for me to wipe my hands of the timeshare legally without spending anymore money because they haven't reported it? It's one of those things where I would pay a lawyer to get it done in a month or two before I would have anymore money given to Silverleaf.
Any suggestions?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When I went to the bank to refinance the loan they said that they could get it approved because of two reasons.

Do you mean "couldn't"?

I can assure you that if you try to default on the loan, it will appear on your credit records.

At this point you have a contractual obligation to make payments on the loan. If you default, they will turn you over to collections, you will be hounded by collectors, and you will be reported to the credit bureaus, which will damage your credit.

I hate to tell you this, but this timeshare sells on the resale market for $1. The rule of thumb is that timeshares are a depreciating luxury purchase that lose 50-100% of their value as soon as you buy from the developer, and if you can't afford to pay cash, you shouldn't buy. Your situation is a perfect example of why a TS should not be financed.

njgebo04

Reaction score
:(

Thats what I thought. I figured they would if I defaulted. Seems like I could do something legally to back out of it since they haven't reported it even after I talked to them about it. Even if there isn't a way, how would I go about refinancing it if it doesn't show up on my credit report?

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Not reporting credit activity isn't a license to disregard your obligation to make the contractual payments.

njgebo04

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if it was considered a voided contract by them because they haven't really finished there responsibility to report it. Do they have a time limit to report the loan? I wasn't planning on defaulting just trying to see if they have violated anything and if in doing so I can get out of my part of the obligation.

Steve

Reaction score
A loan absolutely does NOT have to be reported to a credit bureau in order to be a valid loan. A lot of loans are not reported for various reasons, but they are completely valid and binding. When you take out a loan such as the one you have on your timeshare, the lender has the option of reporting it. They do not have an obligation to report it. You, on the other hand, have an obligation to repay the loan according to the terms you agreed upon whether they report it or not. As others have said, I guarantee they will report it if you stop making your payments.

It's unfortunate that you paid so much for your timeshare and financed it at such a high rate. However, if you truly want to refinance it, I think the most important step you could take would be to improve your credit history. Then, when your bank/credit union indicates that you would qualify for the loan you are seeking, you could petition the developer to report the loan to the credit bureau. You could also contact one of the three major credit bureaus (or have your bank contact them for you) and see if they will help get it added.

Steve

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Sorry for all the bad news. I wish you could walk away, I really and truly do. These timeshare developers and salespeople are truly scum.