• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Advice on Newly Purchased SDO

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Hi,

I figure it will take a few months for my SDO to close and for me to get my deed. So if I do not get my deed till December, will it be hard for me to book a November or December week at SDO?

What are the chances of booking a Thanksgiving Week 2015 at this late date?

thanks for all of your help

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Are you wanting to book a 2014 Nov./Dec. week for your own use?

No one can reserve TG 2015, until TG 2014, so right now it's wide open.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you wanting to book a 2014 Nov./Dec. week for your own use?

No one can reserve TG 2015, until TG 2014, so right now it's wide open.

I'm looking for 2015 weeks. Thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't think you will have any problem booking late 2015 weeks at all...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just took a peek at SVN 2014 availability, and right now, every week in Nov. and Dec. is available at SDO, except for Thanksgiving week. Even Christmas and NY's week are available - so that bodes well for 2015 availability.

Last edited:

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I figure it will take a few months for my SDO to close and for me to get my deed. So if I do not get my deed till December, will it be hard for me to book a November or December week at SDO?

What are the chances of booking a Thanksgiving Week 2015 at this late date?

thanks for all of your help

It also shouldn't take that long to close. I have no idea why closing companies take so long. It would literally take any I us a few minutes to type in the updated info into the deed. Regardless, once the closing company takes care of the new deed and it's recorded, email a scanned legible copy of it to 00SVO.TitleChanges@starwoodhotels.com and they will likely add it to your account within 24-48 hours. I have done this multiple times
with no problem.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just took a peek at SVN 2014 availability, and right now, every week in Nov. and Dec. is available at SDO, except for Thanksgiving week. Even Christmas and NY's week are available - so that bodes well for 2015 availability.

Thank you for looking that up for me...

sb74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regardless, once the closing company takes care of the new deed and it's recorded, email a scanned legible copy of it to 00SVO.TitleChanges@starwoodhotels.com and they will likely add it to your account within 24-48 hours. I have done this multiple times with no problem.
For what it's worth, Starwood is apparently taking much longer to process deeds at the moment. I sent one to the e-mail address above last week, got the autoreply saying 3-4 business days, and never heard back. I spoke to the Title Department a short while ago, the representative (who was otherwise friendly) noted that they're backed up and quoted a turnaround time of 7-8 business days instead.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
For what it's worth, Starwood is apparently taking much longer to process deeds at the moment. I sent one to the e-mail address above last week, got the autoreply saying 3-4 business days, and never heard back. I spoke to the Title Department a short while ago, the representative (who was otherwise friendly) noted that they're backed up and quoted a turnaround time of 7-8 business days instead.

That still beats the 12 weeks it's taken Wyndham since they received paperwork for my last transfer; it's still not completed.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Do you feel that a month is a reasonable time frame for me to expect to have my deed processed from the point the title company gets it done?

sb74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you feel that a month is a reasonable time frame for me to expect to have my deed processed from the point the title company gets it done?
A month certainly seems reasonable, but I'm even more of a newbie to TS ownership than you are and would defer to folks on this board who have tons of first-hand experience.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A month certainly seems reasonable, but I'm even more of a newbie to TS ownership than you are and would defer to folks on this board who have tons of first-hand experience.

I'm going to follow up with the closing company and see where we are at

thanks much

Lookingtobuy

Reaction score
What closing company did u use. I am looking to buy as we'll from an owner who owns in Maui? Or wkv. What should I be looking out for when buying from a supposed owner? How do I verify he is an owner?

Thx

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Denise, if you book your week at SDO at the end of one year and the beginning of the next year, I would assume it would still count toward your 2015 week as long as it started in 2015… Gosh I hope that made sense …LOL

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What closing company did u use. I am looking to buy as we'll from an owner who owns in Maui? Or wkv. What should I be looking out for when buying from a supposed owner? How do I verify he is an owner?

Thx

Here is the TUG Advise page with several good articles about how to buy resale: http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/tug_timeshare_advice.shtml

Timeshares are deeded and must go through a title transfer, just like real estate. A legitimate owner will have a deed for his property.

In general:

• Have the title company request an estoppel from Starwood to document what you are buying (Resale Information Sheet) before you complete the purchase.

• Use a reputable title transfer company, or broker, to guide you through the process.

• All funds should go to a reputable escrow company - not directly to the seller.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise, if you book your week at SDO at the end of one year and the beginning of the next year, I would assume it would still count toward your 2015 week as long as it started in 2015… Gosh I hope that made sense …LOL

Home resort reservations must start on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. The last 3 check-in dates in 2015 are Friday, Dec. 25th; Saturday, Dec. 26th; and Sunday, Dec. 27th.

Of course, it varies from year to year - it's handy to use a timeshare calendar. Here is the one on TUG: http://tug2.com/timesharemarketplace/PlanningCalendar.aspx

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Home resort reservations must start on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. The last 3 check-in dates in 2015 are Friday, Dec. 25th; Saturday, Dec. 26th; and Sunday, Dec. 27th.

Of course, it varies from year to year - it's handy to use a timeshare calendar. Here is the one on TUG: http://tug2.com/timesharemarketplace/PlanningCalendar.aspx

Thank you so much for always helping me out. You are truly so amazing and gracious for doing this...I hopeful that by the end of October my deed will be in my hand and I can go select my first visit as an owner to SDO. I just love this resort so much and I'm thrilled I was able to get such a great deal on my 2/2 EOY unit.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm so Excited - a copy of the deed has been recorded to transfer this ownership

Hi Everyone,

Today I received the email stating that a copy of the deed has been recorded to transfer this ownership into my name. The transfer request, documents, and fees are in the mail to the resort today. I will receive a final letter and the original deed from our Transfer Confirmations Department once the resort confirms they have updated their records to reflect the change in ownership.

Is there anything I can do to speed this along?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It also shouldn't take that long to close. I have no idea why closing companies take so long. It would literally take any I us a few minutes to type in the updated info into the deed. Regardless, once the closing company takes care of the new deed and it's recorded, email a scanned legible copy of it to 00SVO.TitleChanges@starwoodhotels.com and they will likely add it to your account within 24-48 hours. I have done this multiple times
with no problem.

Should have been a little less excited and read all of this info…

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Is there anything I can do to speed this along?
If you call up direct sales and offer to spend $20K+ on a developer week on condition that they retro your resale, they'll get the resale added to your Starwood account in 24 hours or less. :)

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you call up direct sales and offer to spend $20K+ on a developer week on condition that they retro your resale, they'll get the resale added to your Starwood account in 24 hours or less. :)

I'm not in that much of a hurry to speed it along… My goal is not to retro my week but rather to keep my initial investment to a minimum.

I have sent the email to the link provided above and I'm hopeful that I will have this in my name by the end of the month.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I'm not in that much of a hurry to speed it along… My goal is not to retro my week but rather to keep my initial investment to a minimum.
Yeah I was just teasing!

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is actually true ;)