• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head with Elderly Parents

dew

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello
How is Disney for elderly parents compared to Grande Ocean or Barony Beach? We would go for short walks but will not be riding any bikes. I confirmed a two bedroom for early November at Disney last night. I did not see the availibilty for the Marriotts at the time but they were offering two bedrooms this morning when I looked. We have stayed at Old Key West and Grande Vista in Orlando and preferrred the Disney's more intimate scale. If I knew I had an ocean view unit I would consider a switch. I was not sure if this was posssible being a non owner. Any advice? This is our first visit. Thanks Dave

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How old is "elderly?" 50? 60? 70? 80? 90? 100? Makes a big difference.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to think 70 was elderly but is is looking younger every year.:whoopie:

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
How old is "elderly?" 50? 60? 70? 80? 90? 100? Makes a big difference.

If you trade into say the Barony, will receive a garden view unit. You can drive to the check in area and park. Your parents can walk from there. It is not to far to the beach or beach pool. However, they have golf carts. You may be able to have them ride under the oceanfront building and walk from there. I would call the Barony and see if they will do this.

dew

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Parents are 79 and 81. They are both in good health today but they have both had health issues in the past. My dad has always wanted to visit the area. We would likely spend our days exploring, shopping, site seeing , going out for lunch or dinner and our evenings in the timeshare. Would it be cold and windy being on the ocean in November. As much as we enjoy the water I don't see us going for long walks along the beach. They would enjoy the view from a patio or indoors. Thanks Dave

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I would definitely go for Grande Ocean. If they have always wanted to go to HHI, why not be on the ocean? No unit is more than about 80-90 yards from the entrance to the beach. Any time except at high tide, you can easily get on the hard-packed part of the beach for short walks.

The grounds, much like Barony, are also conducive to the type of short-walk environment you will likely want for them: level paved walkways with mature overhanging trees and lots of adjacent plants.

The resort is less than a mile from the shops and restaurants of Coligny Plaza. Pope Avenue, also less than a mile away (and adjacent to Coligny) is filled with restaurants.

Weather along the SC coast is best described as "variable" in November. The average HHI highs for November are around 70, but it can easily be 80 with no wind or in the high 50s with lots of wind.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I've seen the Disney in HH but haven't stayed there, but was less than impressed - IMO not at all like you'd find in Orlando at Disney.

Grand Ocean and Barony I've stayed at and enjoyed GO best. Barony garden rooms are about 3 football fields walk from the beach but any GO suite (GO and Barony are all 2 bdrms) is an easy walk. We were in the 2nd set of buildings at Barony which were close to the office and not too far from the beach but facing the pools - it was very nice.

Brian

dew

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barony Beach it is. I was able to exhange for a two bedroom unit from Oct 26to Nov 2. Thank you for your help. Grande Ocean would have been my preferred choice but I thought going a few weeks earlier at the end of October might be a little warmer weather wise. I will hold out for Grande Ocean next time.
Thanks Dave

Last edited:

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barony Beach it is. I was able to exhange for a two bedroom unit from Oct 26to Nov 2. Thank you for your help. Grande Ocean would have been my preferred choice but I thought going a few weeks earlier at the end of October might be a little warmer weather wise. I will hold out for Grande Ocean next time.
Thanks Dave

The weather should still be warm. however, being on the ocean, you have alot of windy days... Enjoy.

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave

I just deposited week 26 with II . Maybe, this was my week. We own oceanside gold. However, if you trade into the Barony,you will receive a garden view. You should try the fishing...