• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head

ava

Reaction score
We have never been to Hilton Head. I see there are quite a number of RCI resorts. I can't figure out where to stay. Is it a large area spread out over many miles? Which resorts are the nicest with things to do for families? Thanks in advance.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I've only stayed at one Hilton Head resort, so I can't be much help. You may want to consider joining TUG. Members have access to great reviews. I never book a resort without checking there first. Great for comparing the options.

Sheila

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Ava,

Welcome to Tug!

I second Sheila's advice to become a member (details on Tug Home page) - one of the member perks is access to the Tug Resort Review section, with reviews of resorts not only on Hilton Head Island but worldwide.

Richard

ava

Reaction score
Actually I have been a member of TUG forever. I don't know why it doesn't say that. Really my question is more about Hilton Head itself. Is there a certain area that is best to stay? Is it a large area? It seems like there are lots of little areas of Hilton Head. I don't really understand the layout.

london

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton Head Island

Most area's of Hilton Head Island are fine, the island is not that large, so you can get around easily.

We have stayed at Marriot Monach, which is very nice, and ocean front.

We recently purchased at Royal Dunes, and are looking forward to going in late August.

Once you visit the island, you will soon learn your way around.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I would say it's best to check the ratings of the various resorts, select the very best for YOU, and go with that one....you really can't go wrong. If it's highly rated, it'll be in a nice area...... but then, each area is nice in its own way.

HH is made up of "plantations" or gated communities, and they are all different but nice. We've stayed in every area in our several decades of visiting HH, and we love them all. We do own in a certain area, but HH is small, with the two ends of the island separated by a mere 20-30 minute drive.

It takes a few visits to learn the areas you like best, and every visitor comes away with different preferences----that's one thing i've learned about HH ! You can't give too much advice because people vary so widely in their "favorites"....that just goes to show how great the island is....it has so many different things to offer....all good.

So, all of Hilton Head is great...Some resorts are farther away from Harbour Town, the perceived "heart" of Hilton Head (which is actually at the very end of the island....the "toe" of the "foot-shaped island"). Harbour Town area is THE place to visit for shops, restaurants, walking around, best biking trails, etc.

You'll probably want to be fairly close to Sea Pines and Harbour Town (at least at that end of the island), even tho the very best resorts are not in there. Some of the resorts in there are fine, but they're not the very top tier. Top tier would include the Marriotts and Disney. Also, most of my favorite restaurants are not in there, but still we always go into Harbour Town. always.

Actually anything located in Shipyard, Palmetto Dunes, Shelter Cove, Port Royal, or Sea Pines you'd be happy with. Check the ratings. They usually are very accurate and very telling. ONE NOTE: don't choose the Adventure Inn....no long explanation, just don't do it. good luck, jme

Jim McLaren

TUG Member
Reaction score
jme is right. Sea Pines plantation seems to be the heart of the island. But you can spend a week on HHI and never go there. We own in Shipyard Plantation and like the location near Coligny plaza. There are so many resorts on HHI, decide what you want (secluded, busy, kid friendly, near the beach, nice pools, etc.) and then look for it. HHI is not overbuilt yet but you should be able to find something to suit you.

I can't say from experience but I think Sea Pines plantation is more kid friendly (not that any are unfriendly). You might want to check out the trip advisor HH forum or the Hilton Head Life forum.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have retired off the island(in the swamp near the auto mart, hi jme) so if you have specific questions, please e-mail me. We have stayed in most of the timeshares on the island at some point in the last 30 years. Many of the resorts are not within walking distance of the beach, but are nice and the mode of transportation is using biking. You almost need to book 2 years out with RCI if you are planning a summer vacation. Sea Crest Surf and Racquet is not rated very high because it has smaller units and is one of the older timeshares on the island. Yet, it is within a block of the beach, owns an ocean front pool and is across a narrow street from a grocery, restaurants and shopping. That is one example of how ratings can be misleading. There are only 2 timeshares on the island where I would not stay. I will not list those out of respect for those who own there. Put a unit on hold and e-mail me and I'll get you my opinion about the location.

Last edited:

ava

Reaction score
Since I am asking this question I need to know. Is there more to do in Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach? I live in California and haven't been back to East Coast since I was a little child. Is October nice in Hilton Head? How about summer in Myrtle Beach?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There is more for young people to do in Myrtle Brach - arcades, amusement parks, etc. There is also more "name" entertainment there. For dining, golf, tennis and the beach, I would say it's a tie in terms of how entertained you can be.

The weather is close to the same in both locations. Hot and humid in mid-summer, but wonderful beach weather. Still very warm and wonderful weather (typical high temps in the mid-70s) in October.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Quiet vs. stimulation

Hilton Head gives more of a look into the old charming Southern lifestyle (what's left of it), in that you can walk around the island, specifically in Sea Pines and in the other "plantation" gated communities, and enjoy the huge old oak trees full of moss hanging gracefully, and enjoy long walks throughout the many beautiful paths, OR on the very wide, and somewhat private beaches.

Myrtle Beach "probably" has a couple of places like that, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you where----it's more of a wide-open, free-spirited and fun-loving area with tons of activities (like hundreds of golf courses--that's one of the main draws), along with thousands of neon signs, something that's forbidden by the codes of Hilton Head.

I love both places for different reasons. MB is great, HHI is great! Hilton Head is much more laid back and beautiful to me. One observation: a lot of people retire to Hilton Head....all over the island.....but if they retire to Myrtle Beach, they gravitate toward the extreme North end , well out from MB proper, where they can find a little quiet, which is disappearing fast. And the North end is being developed as fast as they can do it, without geographical boundaries to inhibit it (unlike HHI which is a finite island).

The HH story on the island proper is mostly status quo, with some but not much new construction....mostly places being "redone" or refurbished, or updated...it IS growing inland , tho, with the typical WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.....those places which are supported by the resort and resident populations. jme

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
jme, you summed it up very well. I have been to both, and much prefer the charm of HHI. To me MB is more "beachy", and HH is more "charming".

ava

Reaction score
Myrtle Beach it is. Thanks for all the help. I really like the action of a place like that. I only like relaxation for a very limited amount of time. Any RCI resort to recommend?

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for a great place to stay and close to all the action in Myrtle Beach, try Sheraton Broadway Plantation. It is close to Broadway at the Beach, one mile to the ocean and a really great resort. You will love it especially if your taking children.

Courts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Myrtle Beach it is. Thanks for all the help. I really like the action of a place like that. I only like relaxation for a very limited amount of time. Any RCI resort to recommend?

I agree with Sheraton Broadway Plantation resort.

Here is a link to "Broadway at the Beach" it is NOT at the beach, but a great place to visit. They have everything from night clubs to amusements, aquarium, and shows.

Last edited:

ava

Reaction score
I decided to go to Myrtle Beach during the summer. I just was able to get an exchange to Hilton Head for this coming October. Is the Coral Reef Resort nice? I see that it is a Gold Crown if that means that much. Is the location to shopping and restaurants ok?