• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Dining Places in Puerto Vallarta

Daverock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy Holidays to All,

Will be going to the above in Feb and want to eat at their best restuarants. I have previously been there and dined at the
Cafe De Artes
Vista Grill
Trios & their sister place Vitea
Barcelona Tapas
Pipis
Palmar at the Westin Hotel

I am looking for additional high quality restaurants and would appreciate your recommendations. Thanks for your help.

Dave

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
We like
Rincon De Buenos Aries for Beef in the Marina,
Portabella in the Marina
Cafe de Olla Downtown on Basillo Badillo
Roberto's Puerto Nuevo. Actually my favorite on Basillo Badillo (Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Shrimp)
El Dorado on Los Muertos Beach (Ate there last Thanksgiving Night )
Islas Marias across the street from the airport (Great Ribs and Octopus we had. I imagine anything would be good) We checked in early for our flight crossed the bridge and it was great.
La Dolce on the Malecon eat upstairs and look out the window.
Pipi's

Cheryl17

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
El Arrayan

On our last trip to Puerto Vallarta, we ate at El Arrayan for the first time and loved it. I highly recommend it for authentic Mexican cuisine. Frommer's Mexico 2007 includes it in the chapter on the best of Mexico. The restaurant's website is www.elarrayan.com.mx .

Last edited:

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you like seafood the Blueshrimp was very good and has a great atmosphere. They make a great pina colada and the service was great.

Reaction score
Barbeque...where did you get the bacon wrapped shrimp....it's one of my favorites?

dneuser

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agave Grill is FABULOUS and one of the best finds in recent years. It's owned by the same couple that owns Barcelona Tapas and it's tough to get into without a reservation. Another recent discovery was Boca Bento - an interesting menu with an Asian/Latin mix. Beautiful place, great food, romantic atmosphere. Xtomates has a good following and a decent menu. But for quality, price and service - Agave Grill is still our new favorite place and one we will continue to revisit whenever we're in PV.

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
You cannot miss Archie's Wok. Another real find was Maresco Polo on a tiny side street. Wonderful and so very cheap for an incredible meal- $45 for two including our tip. Two of the very best places we have been to. I did not care for Daiquiri Dicks- very over priced and I felt like I was in Key West which is fine if you are in Key West. Our meal was around $100 which was crazy. Many better more authentic spots.

davilin88

Reaction score
For fine dining with nice atmosphere, I have to vote for:
1; Senor Mr. Pepe's, at the top of Bassilio Badillo;
2; Argentine Terraces at the Mayan Palace, Marina;
3; La Palapa.

Reaction score
Here are are favorites in PV. You mentioned you have been to a few of them
1)Portobello
2)Tino's
3)La Palapa
4)Trio
5)Vista Grill
6)La Dolce Vita
7) Pipi's- fun and casual- great food
8)Las Carmelitas- georgeous view decent food
9) Dauqiuiri Dicks

I highly receommend these 3exccusrions
Canopy Tour by las Veranos
Rhythms of the night
The days excusrion at the same place as rhythms of the night( I can't remember the name) Great place to chill in the sun, water, spa treatments, fantastic lunch, snorkel, kayak, and much more!

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
which ones besides the La Dolce are by the Malecon?

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
1)Portobello Marina
2)Tino's Marisco Tino's is on the malecon
3)La Palapa On Los Muertos beach
4)Trio a few blocks back from the malecon
5)Vista Grill up in the hills in old town
6)La Dolce Vita
7) Pipi's- fun and casual- great food A few blocks back from the malecon
8)Las Carmelitas- georgeous view decent food highest point in puerto vallarta need to take a cab
9) Dauqiuiri Dicks on Los Muertos beach

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Thanks, that really helps to have an idea where they are

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My son got married last January at Las Caletas and we stayed at the PV Intercontinental. Our last night we dined at La Palapa. It is a BEAUTIFUL spot directly on the beach. I"d opt for outdoor dining - who wants to be in a/c when in Mexico? The food was excellent and the prices reasonable by US standards!

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
We love the Red Cabbage Cafe.....El Repollo Rojo on Rivera del Rio ...very cute and wonderful authentic food, some items from very, very old recipes...
http://www.redcabbagepv.com/

We ate there last year with a good friend from Ca. that now lives full time in PV (Gringo Gulch). He loves the place and is good friends with the owner. Have to admit we NEVER would have ventured there on our own, but we sure would now :D

Steve

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
Cuale Paradise

We had a lovely experience last year with a large group at Cuale Paradise. Good food and drink and great environment, right on the river. It is interesting cab ride to get there too.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_6749.JPG
    IMG_6749.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 34

RobinDea

Reaction score
I'd suggest Nacho Daddy's on Friday night. The food is good and the band is even better. Blues with a little R&B.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I would recommend La Playita for their weekend buffet breakfast. La Playita is at the Lindo Mar resort in the South side. Restaurant is on the beach. Not a coat and tie affair, but the food is good, plentiful and the scenery is fantastic.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
LeKliff is quite a ways from downtown, but the food & view are awesome. It is worth the trip.

DBS1968

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paradise Village, 2 weeks
Just got back from PV/NV

Was kinda slow down there, we went to Pipis 2x.. Food was awesome and the service was even better. Can't recommend this place enough!

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This fall we really enjoyed Chenan2 Restaurant. Excellent food and service in a family run setting. We felt like locals walking in the Emiliano Zapata neighborhood with businesses and residences mixed together.

A lot of seafood on the menu but nice steak too. Very good value for money.

It is in Zona Romantica up Lazaro Cardenas at 520. Neighborhood is Emiliano Zapata. Not too far from Red Cabbage. Also heard good things about El Brujo in the same neighborhood but did not make it there this trip.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Agree with the recommendation upthread re El Arrayan. El Arrayan is in the "museum" area just to the north of downtown, where many of the other restauarants mentioned are located.

We also like El Palomar de Los Gonzales. El Palomar is in the residential area on the south of Isla Cuale. The food is excellent, and it has gorgeous views of the Bay. Very popular at sunset. If you don't mind ascending a steep sidewalk and stairs, it's a short (but strenuous) 7-block walk from Playa de las Muertes in the Romantic Zone, or three blocks from the bus stops on Basilio Badillo. The ascent starts in the block south of Basilio Badillo, and the last block is the stairway up side of the hill. If you're not up for the climb, take a cab. I find that after the climb I'm in the mood for a nice cold beer.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also like El Palomar de Los Gonzales. El Palomar is in the residential area on the south of Isla Cuale. The food is excellent, and it has gorgeous views of the Bay. Very popular at sunset. If you don't mind ascending a steep sidewalk and stairs, it's a short (but strenuous) 7-block walk from Playa de las Muertes in the Romantic Zone, or three blocks from the bus stops on Basilio Badillo. The ascent starts in the block south of Basilio Badillo, and the last block is the stairway up side of the hill. If you're not up for the climb, take a cab. I find that after the climb I'm in the mood for a nice cold beer.

We took 3 other couples up there last time in PV, and had a really fun time. Service was great and so was the food & view.

The bus system has always been our main mode of travel--it's actually very fun and can take you all over. As I recall, it seems the buses stop pickups downtown around 11 pm or so, so after that you'll need a cab.

Love staying at the Marina area and just hopping the bus to downtown, but I admit we haven't stayed downtown either.