• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice Anyone?

DrPhillopian

Reaction score
My husband and I are interested in a timeshare for our family to use. I have already ruled out buying directly from Wyndham, thankfully. But, the points system intrigues me. I also do not want to go to one place every year. We are comfortable paying $100 or less in monthly fees. So, if you were me...which company, type, timeshare opportunity would you recommend? Thanks in advance. This site is wonderful. :clap:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on what type of vacations you want. $100/mo will get you a large bunch of MFs. You should be able to get several weeks of vacations from that amount.

I think of the large point based systems, Wyndham has the largest number of better resorts. Hilton (HGVC) is also a possibility as they have wonderful luxury resorts as well as a worldwide hotel network. Disney (DVC) is great- especially if you have smallish kids and are primarily interested in Florida. The Mexican resort network, Grupo Mayan has marvelous resorts there, but a horrible marketing strategy.

From what I've read of your other newbie posts, and with your initial interest in Wyndham, I'd suggest Wyndham resale. I understand that also gives you membership and access to RCI's galaxy of resorts. There is an active Wyndham sub-group here within TUG. They can steer you well for maximum value for the price.

Oh, and you're right. TUG is a wonderful site.

Jim Ricks

DrPhillopian

Reaction score
We have never been big travelers, but now that we are about to get our last one out of college...maybe we will be able to. We would love to pay less than $100! But, one of our main things that we want from this is a ski vacation around Christmas and I know those gobble up points. I'm still reading and learning. The whole thing sounds wonderful except for that monthly fee thing :) It scares someone like me that generally adheres to the "debt free" philosophy.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean about avoiding monthly commitment. I may be mistaken, but I think Wyndham is the only one who debits you monthly. With the ones I own it's an annual one-time payment. It always seems to come just before the holidays and is most unwelcome. We just have a 'vacation' account that we automatically fund and pay MFs, airfares, cruises, all that stuff. It's a lot more than $100/mo, but then again, we take a week away about every other month.

Jim Ricks

DrPhillopian

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I just sent you a private message and forgot to ask something...is there an advantage to buying a Wyndham property that you will most likely frequent more often? Booking advantages?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You have it right - buy Wyndham resale & enjoy a great system

I agree with Jim. The Wyndham system, purchased at resale, is perhaps the best fit for you to give a ton of resorts/locations internally - no need for outside exchange fees, etc. It is perhaps one of the great values in all of timeshare right now for a comprehensive system at an unbelievably low buy in (again, at resale. The same purchase at retail is perhaps one of the greatest rip off's as you lose 95% + of the purchase price on the day the rescind rights end. Not even the worst new car has deprecation like that - not even the Edsel in it's "heyday"!)

And yes, TUG is great (and addicting).

DrPhillopian

Reaction score
Thanks John. I am so thankful I did some research before going any further with the Wyndham salesperson! Now, I just have to figure out which one is the best buy.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I just sent you a private message and forgot to ask something...is there an advantage to buying a Wyndham property that you will most likely frequent more often? Booking advantages?

Wherever your home resort is, you have access to the inventory 13 months in advance of the check-in date. This is called your ARP (Advance Reservation Priority). All other Wyndham owners can access everything at 10 months out, so ARP gives you a good head start. ARP is mostly not necessary as most resorts can still be booked at 10 months out. Exceptions to this general availability would be things like Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Bike Week in Daytona, and likely Christmas week at ski destinations.

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check Hyatt!

If you like skiing, Hyatt has most of their nice resorts in ski area and key west.
I loved Hyatt Grand Aspen, it is very upscale resort and ski lifts are near by (walking distance).
Maybe purchase price would be much higher than wyndham, but if you like luxury ski resorts, check Hyatts too.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
We've been well pleased with Wyndham points (bought resale at Wyndham Smoky Mts off Ebay - low dues and within a day's drive from home).

So far we've used our Wyndham points at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in Orlando and have an upcoming trip next week at Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk. The last Wyndham contract we purchased resale had extra points that came with it so I just booked a friend of ours a 1 bedroom presidential at Bonnet Creek for their honeymoon as a wedding gift - they are thrilled!

We own Disney Vacation Club (DVC) points, too, but I never use the DVC points for anything but Disney Vacation Club stays. DVC's resorts are mainly located in Orlando, FL. Disney only has three internal offsite resorts: Hilton Head, Vero Beach, and the new Oahu, HI, resort that opens in August 2011.

durrod

Reaction score
We've been well pleased with Wyndham points (bought resale at Wyndham Smoky Mts off Ebay - low dues and within a day's drive from home).

So far we've used our Wyndham points at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in Orlando and have an upcoming trip next week at Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk. The last Wyndham contract we purchased resale had extra points that came with it so I just booked a friend of ours a 1 bedroom presidential at Bonnet Creek for their honeymoon as a wedding gift - they are thrilled!

We own Disney Vacation Club (DVC) points, too, but I never use the DVC points for anything but Disney Vacation Club stays. DVC's resorts are mainly located in Orlando, FL. Disney only has three internal offsite resorts: Hilton Head, Vero Beach, and the new Oahu, HI, resort that opens in August 2011.

You should try using the points for a Disney cruise. It is worth it if you go on value season. And there is no extra cost other than a small exchange fee.

johnmcguir

TUG Member
Reaction score

What do you mean by "Internal Offsite Resorts". I know there are disney places all over. Do they trade differently?

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "Internal Offsite Resorts". I know there are disney places all over. Do they trade differently?

there are DVC resorts in hilton head, sc; vero beach, FL; anaheim, CA and now in hawaii, as well as the DVC resorts onsite at wdw.

if they are not onsite at wdw, they are "offsite" but still trade with other DVC resorts without extra fees (if there is still availability at the other DVC resorts at 7 months out).

Last edited:

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
there are DVC resorts in hilton head, sc; vero beach, FL; anaheim, CA and now in hawaii, as well as the DVC resorts onsite at wdw.

if they are not onsite at wdw, they are "offsite" but still trade with other DVC resorts without extra fees (if there is still availability at the other DVC resorts at 7 months out).

Thanks, Charles. You explained it perfectly. I actually forgot about the DVC at Disneyland at the Grand Californian. ;)