• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mayan Palace Credit Card "SURPRISE" - $800.00 Funds "HOLD"

huenix

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with this as you are too accustomed to "holds". Anytime this "Mandatory Subtraction" is given without previous notice is "SNEAKY BUSINESS. I wonder what your comments were when you showed up at Hotel Checkin and found they started "Resort Fees"???

I've never been to a place that had a resort fee that wasn't clearly disclosed on the reservation, so I cannot tell you. But to me, it seemed like you were singling out MP for this, when its a common practice. Because it was a surprise to you does not change that fact.

huenix

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ours for 6 adults was 10000 pesos. Note if you go over, you will not be able to charge to the room until you have sufficient funds to cover. I assume cash will also work. My son got married on the resort a few years ago, we blew through the "hold" amount half way through the week; we had to sign another ticket to continue charging.

To be honest, I would do the same thing if I owned a business allowing cashless expenses.

Mike

Interesting note there. We blew through the $800 hold by tuesday but I was never asked to come sign another one. If I recall, when I checked out I was asked to pay the entire amount of my stay's charges, and they released the hold funds back to me which makes fiscal sense to them.

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never been to a place that had a resort fee that wasn't clearly disclosed on the reservation, so I cannot tell you. But to me, it seemed like you were singling out MP for this, when its a common practice. Because it was a surprise to you does not change that fact.

I'm surprised that you never found a "Resort Fee" that wasn't DISCLOSED. In 2011-2012 the fees were so "rampant" that the Federal Trade Commision issued a "Deceptive Business Practice" warning.....

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/28/travel/hotels-resort-fees-warning/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resort_fee

This warning was not sent to your typical Motel 6 resorts....

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I went to the RCI website and looked up an extra vacation for the Grand Mayan. It looks to me like you were warned about the fees....... It does not say how much they will be, but says that you will be charged a fee and will be required to make a security deposit and have a credit card on file.

This is on RCI when you request to make a reservation at the Grand Mayan:

Mandatory Fees

State Lodging tax is 3% ask resort for currency type.

Policy Restrictions

Hotel units are best suited for 2 Adults and 2 Children under 12 years old.
1 in 3 rule applies.
Animals are not permitted; could result in forfeiture of the unit and/or other penalties.

General Urgent Information

Security deposit required upon check-in at the resort.
Credit card imprint required upon check-in at the resort.
Fees or deposits are charged for some amenities.

Additional Information

You can only confirm into The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta Resort (7486 & 7491) once in a 3 year period. Maximum 4 multiple or 2 consecutive units per year total allowed at All Mayan Properties. Multiple units requires mandatory Guest Certificate; for consecutive weeks unless the owner/co-owner is not traveling. Multiple/Consecutive reservations must be confirmed at the same Resort.

Close date confirmations made 48 hours prior to arrival will not be accepted. Violations to any rule will be cancelled. Extra fees for: Valet Parking, Internet, Gym, SPA, Tennis, Golf and Safe Box. The location of the unit will be assigned upon arrival directly by Mayan. RCI DOES NOT ASSIGN THE UNIT.

Resort applies a US$75 Resort Fee per unit, per week for International residents. Fee Includes: One-way transportation Airport to Hotel (contact concierge 72hrs before check-in), transportation throughout the Resort, local phone calls, basic Internet for 1 device, Gym Access, Press summary, a welcome drink and boarding passes/faxes printing. For Mexican residents contact Resort 01800/366-6600.

Important: Mayan Owners are allowed to confirm into any Mayan property thru RCI only using a regular week in deposit as a one for one exchange (No bonus or extra vacations allowed).

Offer includes only accommodations and specifically excludes travel costs and other expenses that may be incurred.

I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the terms and conditions stated in the Urgent Information

Confirm Now!

The RCI cancellation policy provides a grace period for this vacation. A hold is only available for travel dates 15 days or more in advance.

huenix

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that you never found a "Resort Fee" that wasn't DISCLOSED. In 2011-2012 the fees were so "rampant" that the Federal Trade Commision issued a "Deceptive Business Practice" warning.....

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/28/travel/hotels-resort-fees-warning/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resort_fee

This warning was not sent to your typical Motel 6 resorts....

I still am not following you. The fee was disclosed at booking. So was the deposit. If you disagreed with the fee or the deposit, why would you book it?

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Ours for 6 adults was 10000 pesos. Note if you go over, you will not be able to charge to the room until you have sufficient funds to cover. I assume cash will also work. My son got married on the resort a few years ago, we blew through the "hold" amount half way through the week; we had to sign another ticket to continue charging.

To be honest, I would do the same thing if I owned a business allowing cashless expenses.

Mike

A follow up after I checked out of Grand Bliss today; total bill was well over twice what they held - so i assume they have some leeway now as I never had to add additional "hold" amounts.

mike

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to the RCI website and looked up an extra vacation for the Grand Mayan. It looks to me like you were warned about the fees....... It does not say how much they will be, but says that you will be charged a fee and will be required to make a security deposit and have a credit card on file.

++

Just a reminder to please read those bothersome details in things like exchanges, rentals, and timeshare purchase contracts. It's really worth the time, honestly.

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score
A follow up after I checked out of Grand Bliss today; total bill was well over twice what they held - so i assume they have some leeway now as I never had to add additional "hold" amounts.
mike

Interesting comparison. They "held back" on me (2 Adults) 10,000Peso and this was the "same" amount "held back" for 6 Adults???

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Interesting comparison. They "held back" on me (2 Adults) 10,000Peso and this was the "same" amount "held back" for 6 Adults???

Well, actually 10000 pesos was about 680 bucks at the time - not $800.

I also had been there over 10 times perviously which might have added some credibility to my account.

I assume when you checked out, there was no problem.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

I think that 10,000 pesos is just the standard amount now, because the majority of units spend about $100 per day at the resort. Like I said before, it is not a big deal for us as we know that it is standard procedure every where we check in - even though the amount varies. It is just a part of taking a vacation. You just need to have enough credit available for the "hold" not to be an issue.

We always take a credit card with a high available limit for when there might be an emergency. You never know when you might have to stay an extra day because you missed your flight or it is cancelled, or you may get sick. Just in November, we went to the PV Marina to meet friends for lunch and the guy was not feeling well. He collapsed at the table and we had to call the PV 9-1-1 and he had to be taken to the hospital. He had to pay upfront for treatment using a credit card. This cost $$$ that he had not planned to spend. (His insurance company will reimburse him, but he had to pay at the hospital.) He had gotten food poisoning from something he ate the day before, so this could happen to anyone of any age.

Kind of like the Boy Scouts - Always be Prepared.

rpennisi

Reaction score
In March 2010, my wife and I were staying at the MP in RM. She got food poisoning and we used a MP doctor who just happened to have an office (a one bedroom suite) in the same building that we were staying (MP 10 attached to the MP lobby).

He wanted payment in US dollars which came to around 150. I had the cash and paid in dollars. What would we have used if we didn't have the cash, I don't know?

I always take extra US dollars with us, just in case. While in Mexico, I use ATM's for pesos and a credit card, but always take US dollars for emergencies like above.

Ron

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In March 2010, my wife and I were staying at the MP in RM. She got food poisoning and we used a MP doctor who just happened to have an office (a one bedroom suite) in the same building that we were staying (MP 10 attached to the MP lobby).

He wanted payment in US dollars which came to around 150. I had the cash and paid in dollars. What would we have used if we didn't have the cash, I don't know?

I always take extra US dollars with us, just in case. While in Mexico, I use ATM's for pesos and a credit card, but always take US dollars for emergencies like above.

Ron

You could have just used a regular credit card. I use credit cards everywhere that takes them while in Mexico.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who are concerned about the large hold on their credit card when staying at a resort, in future call the cc company for a credit limit increase prior to a trip.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
You could have just used a regular credit card. I use credit cards everywhere that takes them while in Mexico.

I do that also; actually I always use a credit card everywhere they will take them anywhere: added protection, delayed payment, easier, other benefits.

Honestly, when you travel anywhere, particularly out of the country, you better have access to funds to handle any kind of issue - that will be way over your expected daily costs.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do that also; actually I always use a credit card everywhere they will take them anywhere: added protection, delayed payment, easier, other benefits.

Honestly, when you travel anywhere, particularly out of the country, you better have access to funds to handle any kind of issue - that will be way over your expected daily costs.

Are you saying that the doctor's office would not accept credit card? This would be unusual. My friend used the doctor at Lagunamar which accepted credit card.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Are you saying that the doctor's office would not accept credit card? This would be unusual. My friend used the doctor at Lagunamar which accepted credit card.

That's exactly what I was writing (saying) in the above post.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could see them putting a hold on debit card funds, since they are finite, but not on a credit card, since their capacity to be paid is based on the credit limit of the holder, not how much money is actually in the account. $800 is excessive imo.

Jim
But the credit limit is finite. If you have enough limit you don't notice it.