• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Riviera Maya changing to Eastern Standard Time on Feb. 1

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
I apologize if this has been posted prior. If it was I missed it. From LocoGringo.com

Get ready to move your clocks forward on February 1, 2015 as the coastal state of Quintana Roo, which includes Cancun, the Rivera Maya, and Costa Maya, gets in sync with the Eastern coast of the United States and Canada. The states of Campeche and Yucatan located in the Yucatan Peninsula will not be following suite. These states will remain on Central Time.

The recent decision was based on a few factors. Since 1981 the Federal Government has been pushing to change the time zone in Quintana Roo so businesses and flights are in line with a large portion of its tourism sector located in the Eastern Time Zone. Tourists will not have to deal with time changes, and businesses can increase their productivity by being in the same time zone as our partners to the north.

It is believed that the time change will increase tourism revenue, decrease the amount of electricity used, and have an environmental impact with less CO2 released into the atmosphere.

The catch is this, Quintana Roo will not participate in Day Light Savings Time, and so clocks will never be changed again. The new time zone will be called the South East Zone.

So get ready for the change on February 1, 2015. Set your clock forward at 2 am and look forward to longer daylight hours, which means longer time on the beach. For anyone that exercises, this change means that your morning run can start a bit later as the sun will rise a bit later. The sun will rise later letting you delay your morning workout (many start at 5 am to beat the heat) easier before the Caribbean heat starts.

Mike

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The problem is that during much of the year when the US is on DST, they will be the same time as Central Time. So this kind of defeats their intended purpose unless they too had opted to observe DST.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Jamaica is the same way. Some of the year they are the same as the East Coast and some of the time they are in sync with Central time. I never bother to worry about it and just change my clock if it doesn't automatically do so when the plane lands and the voice on the intercom tells me what time it is.
images