• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2015 ] Mexican Attorney General Contact

mplswjr

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just received a phone contact by a young man who claims to be in the office of the Attorney General located in Mexico City. He says that a substantial sum of money (millions of dollars) has been recovered from various time share industry entities, and is now being dispersed to individuals who have been in some way cheated. I have a letter and documents to be filled out from "Subprocuraduria de Servicios de Verificacion". They seem to be originating from "Direccion General de Verificacion y Vigilancia".
The two forms appear to be an authorization to initiate action from this office, and a second form to detail our complaint.
The fellow has asked for copies of our original purchase documents, as well as any records we have of incremental costs over the years for maintenance fees as well as any additional matters we can add as complaints. Allegedly, he will put our information together and submit it to a judge who will determine its credibility and then start proceedings to recover some of the cash as damages. He has not asked for any "front end" money to start this process, and assured me that this action does not require money from us to initiate this process.
Has anyone heard of this kind of inquiry? If so, did it go anywhere?
Bill

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its a scam. Scam Scam Scam

IF - and its a huge if - there was ever a settlement with various time share entities I can absolutely guarantee you the Mexico AG would not be reaching out to you.

Sorry

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just received a phone contact by a young man who claims to be in the office of the Attorney General located in Mexico City. He says that a substantial sum of money (millions of dollars) has been recovered from various time share industry entities, and is now being dispersed to individuals who have been in some way cheated.

Ah yes. The two typical signs of a scam: an unsolicited phone call and a promise to get you lots of money.

This is very similar to the upfront fee recovery scam. There's a promise to recover money for you that was fraudulently taken from you. All you have to do is pay some sort of fee with a legitimate-sounding name. And, like the upfront fee recovery scam, these people play on the emotions of their potential victims.

The potential victim is disgruntled with either the TS company for selling him an overpriced TS or the upfront fee scammer for duping him into paying hundreds of dollars to sell his TS. Now the vengeful owner is looking to make the fraudster(s) pay for their crimes and hope that these callers are the solution.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
To add to what has been said, NOBODY will cold call you to give you money. It just won't happen.

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is an obvious scam - you should cut off communications with them. Don't answer their calls or emails. You have probably given them more info. that you should have.

martinaoslov

Reaction score
The call sounds like an attempt to obtain your information. Did you disclose anything to them? The caller probably didn't ask for money just yet because they'd be asking for your bank details anyway. Next time you get a call like that, simply hang up.

martinaoslov

Reaction score
I also recommend spreading the word about the phone scam. Warn family and friends. Report the phone scam to Callercenter.com and share the scammer's phone number to expose it. Others could use the info.

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score
CallerCenter.com is not working.... what's up Doc??? ooooops... now working...

I also recommend spreading the word about the phone scam. Warn family and friends. Report the phone scam to Callercenter.com and share the scammer's phone number to expose it. Others could use the info.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

I guess it wouldn't hurt to spread the word but this particular scam is obviously aimed only at owners of Mexican TSs.

merkfritz

Reaction score
I was recently contacted by:
Lic. Efraín López Rodríguez.

Dirección de Verificación

Fiscalía General de la República

Avenida Insurgentes No. 20,

Glorieta del Metro
Insurgentes.

Col. Roma Norte, Ciudad de México, C.P. 06700.

Tel 01152-(556) 264-4703

He claims he works for the Mexican attorney general and asks me to fill out these forms:
ACUERDO DE AUTORIZACIÓN
AUTORIZACIÓN

FOREIGN INCUMBENT(S):

Subprocuraduría de Servicios y Verificación, requires a summary of events and Action that
incurred any Damages or losses, toward you. We require proof and reference pertaining to all
complaints; please provide all documentation including contracts, additionally copies of all or
any financial transactions and receipts.
This information will allow us to determine the total value of the numerations to be awarded to
the Registered Owner(s). Additionally, provide relevant phone numbers, as well as names of
individuals and companies, real or fictitious, to strengthen our petition on behalf of the Foreign
Incumbents(s). I/We declare that I have been subject to an unlawful and exploitive practice as a
member(s) of the ___________________ Resort Group.
I/We will grant permission to Lic. Efraín López Rodríguez, legal adviser of Subprocuraduría de
Servicios y Verificación to petition in my/our behalf for the recovery of mishandled assets.
CONSENT not valid until it has a “RECIBIDO” stamp of Subprocuraduría de Servicios y Verificación.

and
Cuestionario de Ingreso y Autorización
Intake Questionnaire and Authorization

Authorization

Name (s):_____________________________________________________________________________

Adress:_______________________________________________________________________________

Phone:_____________________________
Email:______________________________________

Name of Resort &
Location:_____________________________________________________________

Please provide us with a detailed account of how you were victimized including names, dates, telephone numbers, etc

I filled out the forms and was called a week later that the judge awarded me $76,893. I was then given this person to contact from the Bank of Mexico:
Here I'm sending you an Application for Account Activation, please fill it up with your banking information.

Best regards.

Lic. J. Manuel Sánchez Ramírez.
Bank Officer Manager.
Banco de México (BANXICO)
Av. 5 de Mayo No. 2, Col. Centro. C.P. 06059 Del. Cuauhtémoc, Ciudad de México, CDMX.
(557)-100-3196 worldbanking@banxico.solutions www.banxico.org.mx

After creating this account, I was provided a bank account statement showing the fund amount in Pesos.
The next email was a request to wire the 16% tax in the amount of $12,302.88.

There is a pending Pass Thru Payment of 16% which pertains to taxes and AIG Safeguard. This pass
thru payment is essential to protect and guarantees the revenue for this international transaction. This
Pass thru payment for the amount of $12,302.88 USD is required to be paid in your behalf so the
insurance policy can be activated and have BANORTE S.A.B. DE C.V. send your settlement funds.
Banco de Mexico Guarantees the release of funds immediately after proof of payment is presented,
you will be transferred $76,893.00 USD plus the Pass thru payment required for this settlement
total ($89,195.88 USD) within 24 office hours once wire transfer is submitted, our Financial Institutions
warrants THAT WE WILL HAVE THE SETTLEMENT MONIES SENT TO YOU successfully in the
following days. This document is valid and official as of December 7
th,
What is needed in order to file for the release of funds is an official wire confirmation form that confirms
the amount of the monies that is being charged for the mandated Pass-thru payment, from Donald
M. Erkfritz’s legal financial Institution. Once this confirmation is received by Banco de Mexico,
BANORTE BANK will be filed to deliver funds for final recipient under the registered account
#2974015382947, Branch #37 at BANORTE S.A.B. DE C.V. in Ciudad de México, México. Revenue
will be sent to you within 24 office hours and effective immediately. If you, Donald M. Erkfritz, refuse
to make the Pass-Thru payment, the Grand Total Amount of $89,195.88 USD will be sent back to
Chambers of Compensation pool with BANORTE S.A.B. DE C.V. were the funds are extracted from.
You have until December 11
th
, 2020 for response upon arrival of this notice to transfer your monies out
of the established account herein above. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Juan Manuel Sánchez Ramírez Enrique Santos Pérez
Oficial de Cuentas Foráneas Gerente de Riesgo
Banco de México BANORTE S.A.B. DE C.V.
INSTITUCIONES DE CRÉDITO AUTORIZADAS PARA RECIBIR DECLARACIONES Y PAGOS DE IMPUESTOS, DERECHOS, PRODUCTOS Y
APROVECHAMIENTOS FEDERALES POR TRANSFERENCIAS ELECTRÓNICAS SIN UN MONTO MÁXIMO A PAGAR, DE CONFORMIDAD CON LO
ESTABLECIDO EN LA REGLA I.2.1.10 DE LA RESOLUCIÓN MISCELÁNEA FISCAL PARA 2014, PUBLICADA EL 30 DE DICIEMBRE DEL 2013 EN
EL DIARIO OFICIAL DE LA FEDERACIÓN.

I replied to them both:
Hi Juan and Efrain,
Please deduct the payment from the newly opened Banxico account, then transfer the balance to me!

I will NOT send any funds. This is exactly how scams work!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Good for you—of course this is a scam & I’m so glad you didn’t fall for it.

merkfritz

Reaction score

Glorieta del Metro
Insurgentes.

Tel 01152-(556) 264-4703

He claims he works for the Mexican attorney general and asks me to fill out these forms:
ACUERDO DE AUTORIZACIÓN
AUTORIZACIÓN

FOREIGN INCUMBENT(S):

Subprocuraduría de Servicios y Verificación, requires a summary of events and Action that
incurred any Damages or losses, toward you. We require proof and reference pertaining to all
complaints; please provide all documentation including contracts, additionally copies of all or
This information will allow us to determine the total value of the numerations to be awarded to
the Registered Owner(s). Additionally, provide relevant phone numbers, as well as names of
individuals and companies, real or fictitious, to strengthen our petition on behalf of the Foreign
Incumbents(s). I/We declare that I have been subject to an unlawful and exploitive practice as a
I/We will grant permission to Lic. Efraín López Rodríguez, legal adviser of Subprocuraduría de
Servicios y Verificación to petition in my/our behalf for the recovery of mishandled assets.
CONSENT not valid until it has a “RECIBIDO” stamp of Subprocuraduría de Servicios y Verificación.

and

Authorization

Name (s):_____________________________________________________________________________

Adress:_______________________________________________________________________________

Name of Resort &

Please provide us with a detailed account of how you were victimized including names, dates, telephone numbers, etc

I filled out the forms and was called a week later that the judge awarded me $76,893. I was then given this person to contact from the Bank of Mexico:
Here I'm sending you an Application for Account Activation, please fill it up with your banking information.

Best regards.

Bank Officer Manager.
Av. 5 de Mayo No. 2, Col. Centro. C.P. 06059 Del. Cuauhtémoc, Ciudad de México, CDMX.

After creating this account, I was provided a bank account statement showing the fund amount in Pesos.

There is a pending Pass Thru Payment of 16% which pertains to taxes and AIG Safeguard. This pass
thru payment is essential to protect and guarantees the revenue for this international transaction. This
Pass thru payment for the amount of $12,302.88 USD is required to be paid in your behalf so the
insurance policy can be activated and have BANORTE S.A.B. DE C.V. send your settlement funds.
Banco de Mexico Guarantees the release of funds immediately after proof of payment is presented,
you will be transferred $76,893.00 USD plus the Pass thru payment required for this settlement
total ($89,195.88 USD) within 24 office hours once wire transfer is submitted, our Financial Institutions
warrants THAT WE WILL HAVE THE SETTLEMENT MONIES SENT TO YOU successfully in the
th,
What is needed in order to file for the release of funds is an official wire confirmation form that confirms
the amount of the monies that is being charged for the mandated Pass-thru payment, from Donald
M. Erkfritz’s legal financial Institution. Once this confirmation is received by Banco de Mexico,
BANORTE BANK will be filed to deliver funds for final recipient under the registered account
#2974015382947, Branch #37 at BANORTE S.A.B. DE C.V. in Ciudad de México, México. Revenue
will be sent to you within 24 office hours and effective immediately. If you, Donald M. Erkfritz, refuse
to make the Pass-Thru payment, the Grand Total Amount of $89,195.88 USD will be sent back to
Chambers of Compensation pool with BANORTE S.A.B. DE C.V. were the funds are extracted from.
th
of the established account herein above. Thank you for your time and consideration.

INSTITUCIONES DE CRÉDITO AUTORIZADAS PARA RECIBIR DECLARACIONES Y PAGOS DE IMPUESTOS, DERECHOS, PRODUCTOS Y
APROVECHAMIENTOS FEDERALES POR TRANSFERENCIAS ELECTRÓNICAS SIN UN MONTO MÁXIMO A PAGAR, DE CONFORMIDAD CON LO
ESTABLECIDO EN LA REGLA I.2.1.10 DE LA RESOLUCIÓN MISCELÁNEA FISCAL PARA 2014, PUBLICADA EL 30 DE DICIEMBRE DEL 2013 EN

I replied to them both:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

Glorieta del Metro
Insurgentes.

Tel 01152-(556) 264-4703

ACUERDO DE AUTORIZACIÓN
AUTORIZACIÓN

FOREIGN INCUMBENT(S):

and

Authorization

Name of Resort &

Best regards.

Bank Officer Manager.

th,
th

I replied to them both:
You do realize it's a scam and any personal info you gave them will be quickly sold to other scammers . If you send any money it will be gone and then you will get a call/letter from another scammer to help you get the money back you just lost if you forward them an upfront fee.

KSinDC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Mayan
I received a call on Dec. 8 with a followup email attaching a pdf of an Engagement Letter, apparently on Secretaria de Turismo letterhead from the caller, Lic. Nubia Denisse Gonzalez Lopez, to authorize her "to accept the appointment for an interagency horizontal examination of transactions associated with the foreign vacation ownership that you own." The letter offers to "conduct an assessment" of institutions, entities, and individuals...establish a legal procedure to resolve any deficiencies...unsafe or unsound illicit acts taken against you..." at all no cost to me. I would receive 82% of whatever proceeds the government collects.
I receive daily phone calls from scammers but have never turned over any money, documents, or financial information. I don't think I've been bilked. So far as I can tell, I still have the right to use my unit at the Grand Mayan or other Vidanta properties and have not been charged anything since I bought it 4 years ago. (Nor have used or exchanged it.)
Should I trust this letter?
Do I have anything to gain by signing it?
Has anyone had a similar contact from SECTUR?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a call on Dec. 8 with a followup email attaching a pdf of an Engagement Letter, apparently on Secretaria de Turismo letterhead from the caller, Lic. Nubia Denisse Gonzalez Lopez, to authorize her "to accept the appointment for an interagency horizontal examination of transactions associated with the foreign vacation ownership that you own." The letter offers to "conduct an assessment" of institutions, entities, and individuals...establish a legal procedure to resolve any deficiencies...unsafe or unsound illicit acts taken against you..." at all no cost to me. I would receive 82% of whatever proceeds the government collects.
I receive daily phone calls from scammers but have never turned over any money, documents, or financial information. I don't think I've been bilked. So far as I can tell, I still have the right to use my unit at the Grand Mayan or other Vidanta properties and have not been charged anything since I bought it 4 years ago. (Nor have used or exchanged it.)
Should I trust this letter?
Do I have anything to gain by signing it?
Has anyone had a similar contact from SECTUR?

Nothing to gain. 100% scam.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
No you should not trust that letter nor should you have any further contact with these scammers. Nothing good will come of it.

KSinDC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Mayan
No you should not trust that letter nor should you have any further contact with these scammers. Nothing good will come of it.
Thanks. I received the same advice from an evidently experienced poster on TripAdvisor. I'll follow your recommendation.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
This scam has been going on for several years. I have had lengthy conversations with 3 of the folks on the scamming team. They don't want money at the start, but once they think you are a possible victim, they will tell you they have received a sizable court award (say $80,000 US) or so) that is now in a holding account with BanNorte, but with taxes on the amount due before you can get your cash. They ask you to send them money to pay the taxes, say $13,000 US or so. This is all accompanied by very official-looking court documents and bank statements...and impressive resumes accessible on facebook. They claim the money you send gets deposited in a holding account managed by a large US insurer. If you try getting in touch with someone at any of the 'participating' banks, the insurance company, or the Mexican court that issued the court award, you will find it impossible to do. Then they establish deadlines for getting this done, but they keep relaxing those deadlines if you seem hesitant to send cash but still sound interested. I tried reporting this scam to both the US government and to two Mexican banks, but not a one was interested in pursuing the scam. You are on your own here. We just let it drag out, and they finally stopped calling us.

KSinDC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Mayan
This scam has been going on for several years. I have had lengthy conversations with 3 of the folks on the scamming team. They don't want money at the start, but once they think you are a possible victim, they will tell you they have received a sizable court award (say $80,000 US) or so) that is now in a holding account with BanNorte, but with taxes on the amount due before you can get your cash. They ask you to send them money to pay the taxes, say $13,000 US or so. This is all accompanied by very official-looking court documents and bank statements...and impressive resumes accessible on facebook. They claim the money you send gets deposited in a holding account managed by a large US insurer. If you try getting in touch with someone at any of the 'participating' banks, the insurance company, or the Mexican court that issued the court award, you will find it impossible to do. Then they establish deadlines for getting this done, but they keep relaxing those deadlines if you seem hesitant to send cash but still sound interested. I tried reporting this scam to both the US government and to two Mexican banks, but not a one was interested in pursuing the scam. You are on your own here. We just let it drag out, and they finally stopped calling us.
Thanks, Bob. I hope your very detailed description helps other avoid wasting their time (and money, of course).

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope your very detailed description helps other avoid wasting their time (and money, of course).

That would only happen if they find TUG first. People could also stop falling for the upfront fee resale/rental scam, exit/cancel/relief scam, or developer purchase if they found TUG first. Sadly, these victims get money bags and dollar signs in their eyes and lose all sense of reason when the scammers call promising big bucks.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That would only happen if they find TUG first. People could also stop falling for the upfront fee resale/rental scam, exit/cancel/relief scam, or developer purchase if they found TUG first. Sadly, these victims get money bags and dollar signs in their eyes and lose all sense of reason when the scammers call promising big bucks.
And we get the occasional person who insists that everything is legitimate and that we are all just raining on the parade by being so negative.

Or, when we point out how the scam is like many others, they want to believe that this time it's real because there's some twist that's different. There was a time when the new twist was that the it was an agency of the Mexican government that had recovered a large sum of money and was in the process of contacting timeshare owners who had been scammed to get them registered to receive their share of the money.

Last edited:

Priscilla

TUG Member
Reaction score

Glorieta del Metro
Insurgentes.

Tel 01152-(556) 264-4703

ACUERDO DE AUTORIZACIÓN
AUTORIZACIÓN

FOREIGN INCUMBENT(S):

and

Authorization

Name of Resort &

Best regards.

Bank Officer Manager.

th,
th

I replied to them both:
Hi Juan and Efrain,
Please deduct the payment from the newly opened Banxico account, then transfer the balance to me!

Omg I hope no one falls for this kind of scam. Sadly people do. Glad you didn’t send any money. Smh

Setsail

Reaction score

Glorieta del Metro
Insurgentes.

Tel 01152-(556) 264-4703

ACUERDO DE AUTORIZACIÓN
AUTORIZACIÓN

FOREIGN INCUMBENT(S):

and

Authorization

Name of Resort &

Best regards.

Bank Officer Manager.

th,
th

I replied to them both:
Hi Juan and Efrain,

Hi, we were contacted by a mexican attorney with the same info, send our info and were awarded an amount. Can you tell me on the Banorte bank account info, did the line that said No. Cuenta Corriente end in 942? And did the line below that, No. De Cleinte end in 0987? We are really wondering about this also. Thanks.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, we were contacted by a mexican attorney with the same info, send our info and were awarded an amount. Can you tell me on the Banorte bank account info, did the line that said No. Cuenta Corriente end in 942? And did the line below that, No. De Cleinte end in 0987? We are really wondering about this also. Thanks.

I really hope you aren't serious when you say you "sent your information and were awarded an amount"..........

This is a total scam looking for personal information and fictitious tax money.

Free money never grows on trees. SCAM.

Last edited:

casa.miramar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa del Palmar
Heads Up ! We were recently contacted, May 7, 2021, by: Lic. Mauro Martinez Vazquez with a variation of the same scheme. "Please fill in the forms attached" which were the very same forms as posted by merkfritz earlier in this thread. So the scam is alive and well in the scammer world. There are probably many appealing offers to this scam but they all begin the same way - - A cold call from someone you never hear of....and never want to hear from again.
:wave: