• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mayan Palace, Vidanta, Vida Group continue to scam (January 2015)

icystorms

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with specific suggestions? During an otherwise great vacation at the Mayan Palace in Playa del Carmen, I fell victim to a lying sales person and purchased a "vacation club" membership. I only realized I was lied to after the 5-day window. I only did this a few weeks ago. I've since spoken to someone from sales who tried to lower the price a little, but refused to give me a refund. I've paid a few thousand on a credit card, signed an agreement to trade in a timeshare, and signed an agreement to pay a few thousand more. How do I cancel all of this? I'll be able to dispute the charge on my credit card, but I don't know what would happen with the timeshare I already have, and I don't want to deal with collectors and credit issues. I just emailed customer service, as other posters have suggested. I will check Profeco and the FTC, too. Should I just email them or are the complaint forms?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The Karen Rose / Customer Service email is your best option. THey are generally very helpful.

icystorms

Reaction score
If anyone is interested, these were their lies and tactics on me, knowing that my interest was in exchanging...I was told that I was purchasing the right-to-use of a one-bedroom suite at any Mayan Palace or sister resort for 2 weeks per year for a lifetime. I was told that if I agreed during the sale to not use the 2 weeks for my first 2 years, I would get an additional 1 week per year for 10 years. Upon reviewing my copy of all the paperwork, I only see that I have rights of use for 2 weeks per year for 10 years, with the option to renew for a fee at the end of 10 years. While I was signing the contracts the sales person asked me to sign and initial one group of papers, telling me that they were for the "lifetime weeks" and another group of papers, saying they were for the "bonus week." I suspect that's how he prevented me from realizing this was just a 10 year term. Regardless of whether I get a lifetime or 10 years, I am dissatisfied with this purchase due to my options for exchanging.

I was told that I would be able to exchange 1 week at Mayan Palace for 2 weeks at many more locations than what was already available to me with the timeshare I already had, and I was told that I would be able to do this online on one website that included 52 exchange companies. The sales person showed me www.thevidalifestyle.com site, telling me that was the site where I would book my exchanges and showed me the hotels and resorts included on that site to say that those locations would be available to me for exchange. When I called Vida Lifestyle, I was told that I would not do exchanges on that site. When I called ownership services to see what locations are available, I was told that I would have to look at exchange sites such as RCI and SFX, which I had already been able to do with what I had.

I was told that I would get Vida Dollars equal to my usage fee, and that I could use those to book additional vacations or shop. He repeatedly said I could vacation and get things without spending "out-of-pocket." He specifically mentioned airfare, which a different sales person corrected much later (I should have known he was a liar after that!). After I activated my account and looked on www.thevidalifestyle.com, I saw that Vida Dollars only cover a small portion of prices, and I would have to spend mostly out-of-pocket to use the Vida Dollars. I was told that I would have free lifetime access to the site. As I was signing the Vida Lifestyle enrollment form, I saw mention of subscription fees. The sales person told me that I would not have to pay those because I would be a member in the Vida Group. He said that only members of other resorts had to pay the annual fee. When I called Vida Lifestyle, I was told that I would have to pay the annual fee if I wanted to use the site after my current 2 year subscription.

saywhat

Reaction score
Karen Rose may help you, if not keep up the pressure with online posting, their partners from Cirque du Soleil are not happy with the negativity, thus the reason for them finally getting rid of the rental list.

The Lifestyles and Vida Dollar benefits maybe decent if they were sold for what they were, problem is Mayan sales are notorious for deception. They really stretched the truth on the exchanging possibilities, and you'll be left with a couple Vacaction Week Certificates after 10 years which according to the contract you paid nothing for and they have very little obligation to provide you anything.

If they make you keep it try and negotiate it into a 25 yr renewable instead of the 10yr., which IMHO will be worthless after the registered week expires, forcing an upgrade......that I believe is their plan.

Keep up the pressure online as well as with Ms. Rose they should not reward sales for deception.

saabman

Reaction score
I'll be able to dispute the charge on my credit card, but I don't know what would happen with the timeshare I already have, and I don't want to deal with collectors and credit issues. I just emailed customer service, as other posters have suggested. I will check Profeco and the FTC, too.

The hard truth here is why should either the Mayan Palace or your credit card company believe you when you say they told you lies? The signed contract takes precedence over anything that was verbally promised which, of course, they now will deny was ever said.

Some suggest canceling your credit card, changing your phone number, and walking away. Others say try to make the best of the monies you've spent and will spend. I do know Profeco will be of little help and for sure the FTC will be of no help. Proofing fraud will be difficult and expensive, and filing a dispute with your CCD is no guarantee of success. And, about your timeshare, that's a whole different can of worms that others should comment on.

saywhat

Reaction score
The hard truth here is why should either the Mayan Palace or your credit card company believe you when you say they told you lies? The signed contract takes precedence over anything that was verbally promised which, of course, they now will deny was ever said.

That's why the power of the Internet is helpful. The chorus of deceived consumers validates what the OP claims. When someone who also got screwed sees the same details of deception and chimes in it serves to alert.

Vida has been known to oil the squeeky.....I think that's Ms. Rose's primary function.

I say keep at it Icy.

Last edited by a moderator:

saywhat

Reaction score
That's why the power of the Internet is helpful. The chorus of deceived consumers validates what the OP claims. When someone who also got screwed sees the same details of deception and chimes in it serves to alert.

Vida has been known to oil the squeeky.....I think that's Ms. Rose's primary function.

I say keep at it Icy.[/QUOTE]

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We recently went to a vida presentation and were really impressed with the information and "low presure" sales presentation in Nuevo Vallarta. I understood everything presented which was a pretty good deal if you like Mexico and large resorts.

I do plan on somehow someway someday to stay at the new Cirque dul Soleil when they finish it.

https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/p...arta-entertainment-park-12-novembre-2014.aspx

As far as buying into the vida group it seemed to me that if you really wanted to vacation in Mexico this would be a good product. You buy in and with the one contract are able to reserve multiple weeks by paying a mf. Every ten years you have an extra mf that to me seems like an assessment.

The products they have that I like are possibly the LUX and new resort theme park.

Bill

saywhat

Reaction score
I agree, nobody spends the kind of money like Vida does on development, which is in large part why a lot of people fall for the deception by sales. Nice to hear member sales is easing up on owners. But as the OP states, new sales is in full stride with their old ways.

Not trying to rain on your parade Bill but I think those 10 yr renewals are going to be of little value once it turns into vacation week certificate only.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
... their partners from Cirque du Soleil are not happy with the negativity, thus the reason for them finally getting rid of the rental list.

Just curious--where did you get this information and what is the 'rental list?'

saywhat

Reaction score
The rental list is a list of rental resale brokers that were used by sales for years to back up their BS rental pitch....all upfront fee operators. It's actually a major reason I bought years ago.

Over the years I became friends with a sales rep and he told me that ownership ordered its removal. From what I understand none of those brokers are in biz any longer.

qb_bc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not trying to rain on your parade Bill but I think those 10 yr renewals are going to be of little value once it turns into vacation week certificate only.

To be fair, I recently did a contract change and it was handled very well. The Customer Service rep went over the entire new contract. At this point I purposefully "forgot" everything the sales rep had told me, and made sure what the CS told me was what I expected. I asked questions, initialed the documents only when I understood what they said and did similarly with the check list. This discussion was tape recorded, so if my memory later differed we would have been able to go back and see what was actually said.

The ten year contracts are less expensive in the longer run, and provided for me an increased booking time during certain periods for the residence weeks as compared to the old weeks.

I am happy with what happens at the end of the ten year period, and do not share the concern above.

Say what one will about the sales staff, the CS rep was business like and thorough. The CS was efficient, but I had all the time I wanted to understand what I was receiving. All questions I asked were answered and I was shown in the contract what applied. I walked away knowing that I had only what the contract stated, and that I had five days to puzzle over the documents and clarify anything for myself.

In business this is more than fair.

Last edited:

saywhat

Reaction score
Agreed, the CS people are great. But I'm sticking to my concern about the value of vacation weeks after the registered expires......time will tell on that one.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The rental list is a list of rental resale brokers that were used by sales for years to back up their BS rental pitch....all upfront fee operators. It's actually a major reason I bought years ago.

Over the years I became friends with a sales rep and he told me that ownership ordered its removal. From what I understand none of those brokers are in biz any longer.

Got it (about the rental list). Thanks.

But where did you hear that CdS is not happy about the negativity, or is this just conjecture?

saywhat

Reaction score
Got it (about the rental list). Thanks.

But where did you hear that CdS is not happy about the negativity, or is this just conjecture?

No it's not conjecture, I'll have to leave it at that, sorry.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
No it's not conjecture, I'll have to leave it at that, sorry.

I see. I'll take you at your word. (Or your sales friend's word.) :rolleyes:

icystorms

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread. After some back and forth with the company, we seem to have reached an amicable resolution.

blmac22

Reaction score
Who is Karen Rose? Is she a rep at Vidante? We just bought a membership (not ownership)while at the Mayan Palace in Mayan Riviera last week and we want out. I want to email someone or fill out a cancellation letter..just not sure what do. I want to do something fast

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Who is Karen Rose? Is she a rep at Vidante? We just bought a membership (not ownership)while at the Mayan Palace in Mayan Riviera last week and we want out. I want to email someone or fill out a cancellation letter..just not sure what do. I want to do something fast

That is the name used by a Grupo Mayan team who checks out TUG Posts. They have now set up a name called Grupo Mayan on TUG, but they always sign as Karen Rose. They can help. Here is a sample of their normal posts:

Please contact us to be able to assist you.

If you have pending concerns with us, we have confidence they can be addressed as soon as we are contacted to continue this dialogue. We would like to hear about your experience with us, as part of our daily quest for improvement and high regard for customer satisfaction.

Being that said, the only way to assure that we get your message and follow-up is to contact us at grupomayanblog@grupovidanta.com.

We truly appreciate your time.

Sincerely,
Karen Rose
Customer Support Representative.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

To get out you need to follow the instruction in your contract. This will include the days you have to rescind. It may already be too late depending on the date you signed "last week".

Remember to rescind you need to follow the instruction exactly. An email is not going to be sufficient. It will need to be postmarked by the date and you will want to have proof of the date such as registered or certified mail.

Johnsp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe, Marriott, Worldmark
The instructions for cancelling your contract are in the General Provisions paragraph of your contract. You have 5 business days to cancel by either returning all documentation to member services at the resort or sending a certified letter with return receipt requested before the five business day period expires. The only non business day in Mexico is Sunday (not Saturday Sunday and holidays like in the US). The address to send your certified letter to is also in General Provisions. Hopefully you have not exceeded your five business days but if you have, Karen Rose has been responsive and helpful in the past. Contacting her is no guarantee that your contract will be rescinded.

Good luck.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Do you still owe on your other 2 timeshares in addition to the annual MF's? If they are paid off, you could likely sell or give them away yourself?

cpuricelli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Mayan - Resolved

After multiple correspondents and support from the member services team at Grand Mayan / VIDA Vacation Club, it appears my situation has been satisfactorily resolved. Thanks to Karen Rose and Tetyana for their help and support and guidance.
I really enjoy the Grand Mayan resorts and look forward to returning in the future!
:clap:

Cindy P.

[Quoted post deleted at OP's request.]

Markgates

Reaction score

duplicate ad post deleted