• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Heading South to HHI Tomorrow

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all you who live south of Pennsylvania. We are traveling to Hilton Head, SC tomorrow morning and have seen nothing but ice and snow storms along the coast. We will travel through Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina and then to South Carolina. Can you please help us out by relating your latest forecast. This is a road trip for us and we are getting a lot of snow here in PA but it is supposed to slow down by late afternoon. I hope all you who have been affected by this storm are safe. Bless you all.
Thank you, Mary

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
SC

You should have a beautiful week in Hilton Head as we will be here in Charleston. The ice thing right on the coast in CHS was a no-show. However, over on I-95 there was a light dusting. It should all be gone by tomorrow if not already. Our high in CHS Friday is going to be 57 degrees, 65 on Monday and up to 74 on Thursday. Good thing you missed the last several weeks though!

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Did you get out of PA? My brother lives in Lansdale and said he already has over a foot and it's supposed to keep snowing all day. It's a whopping 36 degrees here but no ice/snow. Temps will be steadily going up over the next week but Fri/Sat will only be in the upper 50's but there willl be lots of sun. Do you remember what sun looks like? :D

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glynda and Pat: Thank you both for your reply. We have been worried to death about the trip to HHI. Our local news cast was showing some very frightening scenes on highways in North Carolina and Virginia. We almost postponed this trip but now you have given us some positive info. from the South. It is snowing here today ~ we live in the Laurel Highlands (about 60 miles East of Pittsburgh). We are expecting 6 - 8 inches today and overnight. If we can get out of here it will be a relief. Again, thank you so much for your response.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please be safe driving on I 95 and drive the speed limit in Emporia , VA (the last driveing leg from Virginia to North Carolina).
Enjoy the island and your vacation.

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you ~ once we get there I'm sure we will.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where in NC your route takes you, but they had to cancel the Duke/Carolina game last night due to weather, and we are totally snowed in here in WInston and it is still snowing... You might be OK if you stay east of Raleigh, but I would check to be sure.....

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
gnipgnop, did you get there ok? Please report back on road conditions, we're contemplating a trip down ourselves.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Southern Ice Storm and Hilton Head

First I'll say that we are at Hilton Head right now, not originally by design....Friday night thru Sunday. The reason to follow:

In our hometown of Augusta, GA we suffered a historic ice storm over the past few days. Began Tuesday night, basically ended Thursday midday. We live in a neighborhood with 100+ foot pines, every lot being heavily wooded. All night Wednesday there were horrible cracks, then crashes. Most falling trees missed homes but many hit roofs. Miraculously we took no big hits, only grazed gutters and a few destroyed areas on our wood fence.

Tops of trees, like top 20 feet of these behemoths, broke loose and came crashing down due to weight of ice on the pine needles and limbs. It sounded like Sherman tanks were being dropped from the sky all night long. Never experienced anything like it. My vision during the event was London during WW II. Of course that was far, far worse. Every 30 seconds there were the crashes....then a 2 second delay...then the result, either crash to ground or horrific train wreck into a house. Easy to distinguish.

Next day our neighborhood was a wasteland, and the whole city, too. Power was out all along. Luckily we have 2 gas log fireplaces (for convenience and for potential heat should this ever happen), a gas cooktop, and gas hot water heaters. We slept in our den for the heat. After two very long days and nights, we couldn't take it any longer. We skipped town today and took off for Hilton Head, 2.5 hours away. Used the P33 code and are at Barony OceanSide for 2 nights. Villas with same owner discount were available at Grande Ocean and Surfwatch. Barony was slightly less expensive.

Heat at home should be back on by Saturday or Sunday. So, we are currently enjoying TV, a thermostat that listens, and internet service. I should never take all that for granted. Anyway, thank you Marriott for the owner discount. Amazingly there are many units unoccupied.

OP, hope you made it here to Hilton Head OK....so far no update, but hope you're here safely. It's a GREAT place to be. 60+ degrees today. We had a lovely Valentine's Day dinner at Santa Fe, our favorite spot on the island, as stated in my HH Restaurant Guide. Cowboy Cut Rib Chop was as great as ever.... amazing actually. Had our favorite two-top in back room near Chef's Grill. Oh yeah! Now watching Olympics in villa, resort looks beautiful. Several floors not occupied as suggested by lack of lights on after dark. Pool is all lit up, pretty lights in interior trees, fire pit going, sky lit up with moonlight and nice arrangement of clouds also lit.....just beautiful.

an unexpected visit to HH, but wonderful. Why more people don't avail themselves of the cheap owner rentals and CHEAP DC point visits, I don't know. Lot of difficult yard clean-up when we get home, but tonight? It's Valentines!

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
gnipgnop, did you get there ok? Please report back on road conditions, we're contemplating a trip down ourselves.

To the OP did you arrive safely on the island ?

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you sooner and thank you so much for your concern. Yes, we had a little trouble getting over the Laurel Mountains in Pennsylvania but once on the other side, from Berkley, West Virginia to Hilton head we had clear roads and (I couldn't believe it) there was sunshine. The weather on Hilton head was beautiful the whole week. We did see a lot of damage from the ice storms and many trees were down. when we stopped for lunch in Virginia our waitress was telling us about their power being out for two days. We just missed all of the terrible weather. We are now in myrtle beach and weather is still beautiful. Back to Pennsylvania on March 1. I sure hope the weather improves for all.