• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alert HHonors Reward changes effective April 30th

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
ALERT - If you're planning to book a hotel reward this year, see if your hotel is on the list. If your hotel is on the list for a category increase, book your stay at the lower rate before April 30. ;)

A full list of hotels and their new category number can be found here - http://hhonors1.hilton.com/ts/en_US/hh/media/pdf/HiltonHHonors_QuickReference_040312.pdf

Smarter travel blog - http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/...head-for-hilton-award-prices.html?id=11037832

Flyertalk discussion thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...-select-hotels-effective-april-30-2012-a.html

How hotel category reassignment plays into the overall value of hotel points -
http://travel.usatoday.com/alliance...-category-distribution/670793/1#uslPageReturn

On April 30, 2012, 447 of the more than 3,800 hotels within Hilton Worldwide's portfolio of brands will be changing their category level with 330 hotels going up one category and 117 hotels going down one category.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: What is a hotel category?
A: Our hotel categories are used to designate the number of HHonors points needed to redeem a free night at our properties using Standard Room Rewards and the Points & Money Rewards. We place our hotels into seven different categories, which range from 7,500 to 50,000 points per night with select Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts ranging up to 80,000 points per night.

Q: Why did the hotel categories change?
A: Each year we complete an analysis to decide categories based on reward redemption volume from the previous year, brand, location and other factors.

Q: How many hotels changed categories?
A: Of our more than 3,800 hotels, a total of 447 changed category levels. Of those 447 properties, 330 have gone up one category, while 117 have gone down one category.

Q: Are you introducing new reward categories?
A: No. Additional hotel reward categories are not being added; rather a few hotels are moving up or down one category within the chart.

Q: Will the points required for each category change?
A: No. The points required for each hotel reward category are not changing.

Q: Do these changes affect my existing reservations?
A: All reservations for a Standard Room Reward or a Points & Money Reward made prior to April 30, 2012, will be honored at their original hotel category from the time of booking; however, reward reservations made after April 30, 2012, will be based on the new hotel category levels.

Q: If a hotel has changed its category, will this impact the amount of money I pay for a regular, non-reward stay?
A: No. This will not impact the amount of money charged for a paid stay. Hotel category changes only affect Standard Room Reward and Points & Money Reward stays.

Q: Do the category changes affect Points & Money Reward stays?
A: Yes. The number of points needed for a Points & Money Reward stay will be affected if it is one of the hotels that is changing categories. If it is at one of the 117 hotels moving down a category it will require less points to redeem for a free nights.

Q: If I book a paid stay at a hotel which has changed categories, does this affect how many Hilton HHonors points I earn during my stay?
A: No. Hilton HHonors points are earned based on the room rate and eligible charges to your hotel invoice, not the hotel’s category level.

Last edited:

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't believe some of the Embassy Suites are now a 7, what a joke.

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
3 London Hiltons are 7 and the NOLA Hilton is cat 6 :(

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Call it "grade inflation." Reading between the lines, upgrades do not reflect actual value but rather an attempt to discourage the use of "free rooms" at those properties.