• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paypal claims to send 1 chargeback notice email - never received it

tha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paypal says their process is to send one chargeback notice email. If you do not respond in 10 days the position of the Complaint & Resolution department is you loose - if you don't like it sue us.

I did not receive the one solitary email - also my account does not balance. The chargeback does not appear under activity (which sums to a positive amount) even though the balance is negative - does not inspire confidence in their IT.

The chargeback department is saying they will look into it. In the meantime Paypal's collection department did find the time to call me. Amazing how different their priorities are when it is their money instead of the customer's money at risk.

Anyone else experience this?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Why was there a charge back?

Did you verify what email address you are using with Paypal and is it correct?

When you processed the original transaction, did you receive an email from Paypal when you sent the invoice and another email from Paypal when you received payment?

Did you look at your Acct. online to see if there is a notice posted there of a charge back?

Last edited:

tha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Toxic client

Why was there a charge back?

After the renter accepted my invoice, which clearly stated "Non-refundable" and had a link to the SVN page describing the specific unit, she decided she wanted the larger unit, different dates, and the same price. I tried to work with her but ~35 text meassages later she did a chargeback without telling me.

Did you verify what email address you are using with Paypal and is it correct?

Yes, I've received all other emails from paypal.

When you processed the original transaction, did you receive an email from Paypal when you sent the invoice and another email from Paypal when you received payment?

Yes on the invoices. On her payment I received an email from paypal with subj line: Transaction 03C09227MD5747xxx under PayPal Payment Review which they ultimately cleared - maybe that was red flag?

Did you look at your Acct. online to see if there is a notice posted there of a charge back?

In the resolution center there is a thread for this under "closed".

Thanks - see above. Do you think the "payment under review" should have been a big red flag?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Lots of payments are reviewed - it usually means it's a new Paypal Acct., or an unverified Paypal Acct. and Paypal is just making sure the payment is Legit.

It is odd and annoying that you weren't notified about the chargeback.

Did you ask Paypal to re-send a copy of the original email notification?

Did you check your spam and trash folders?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"Under payment review" That would have got my attention. And her obvious unhappiness would have been the red flag for me.

"Under payment review" is not related to the chargeback. If the renter has a new Paypal Acct. or is not fully-registered, or it's a big payment, that automatically triggers a 24 hours review at Paypal's end - not from the renter.

It's very common, and it's a completely different process than a "charge back" which is initiated by the buyer - not by Paypal.

The question is, why wasn't the OP NOTIFIED by Paypal?

tha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Toxic client

Did you ask Paypal to re-send a copy of the original email notification?

No, but they haven't offered either. I'll ask the next time I communicate with them. I am curious if it did not come from paypal.com or had a unclear subject line.

Did you check your spam and trash folders?

Yes. Not there.

tha

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Under payment review" That would have got my attention. And her obvious unhappiness would have been the red flag for me.

I had called PayPal early on because I was concerned. We discussed Buyer Protection and they assured me I had no concerns. They didn't mention, and it didn't occur to me, that she could go directly to her card company and thereby circumvent PayPal's policies.

This was my third rental transaction on PayPal. I had previously sold a couple SWA travel vouchers with no issues.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disputing it with her Credit Card really didn't circumvent Paypal's policies. Even if she only disputed it directly with Paypal, not her credit card, Paypal would have opened an investigation, and if you didn't respond, you would have lost the dispute.

The real issue is whether on not Paypal gave you the appropriate notice, and if you had the opportunity to defend your case.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going to accept credit cards through paypal or directly, you need to know chargebacks are a fact of life. And you will almost always lose. It doesn't matter whether you are right or wrong

I receive a lot paypal payments and have had only one chargeback and I lost the appeal. I don't remember how they notified me but I do remember my account balance going negative. Which is always a wake up call for me

Its just part of the cost of doing business

JimmieJames

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had one last year. Just figured it was a cost of business as Ron said and didn't bother to contest it. About 1 month later the money was restored to my account and I guess that the renter lost his appeal without my doing anything. I never did check to see if they used the unit or not.

Jim

hammerhammer

Reaction score
I sell a lot of stuff online and have a online business as well.

In todays world I really think outside a money order or cashiers check a personal check is the next best form of payment. I always wait for the check to clear before I send off the goods.

Why do most places not want to take personal checks? No charge back, no real recourse for the purchaser.

I have 1,200 check right now that goes in the bank tomorrow and the following Monday the item will be sent out. I have the cash.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many times the inbound guest is just a couple of days from checking into the unit. Either I accept Paypal or I eat the cost of the unit. Then, PP is what I accept.

If it is 2+ weeks away, I just love USPS Money Orders (as I explain to a renter, "I really don't want to know your checking account info."

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know that things can go wrong with Paypal, but I have been very lucky so far. The thing I like the best is that I can complete a rental in 48 hours, with very good security. So unless something better comes along, I like Paypal.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
RE: Not receiving an e-mail from PayPal or anyone else:
Did you check you your junk-mail file a/k/a "spam-folder?"

I tend to ignore mine, which has proven to be unwise at work...
At work last week I found ~6 in there which needed my attention.

tha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disputing it with her Credit Card really didn't circumvent Paypal's policies. Even if she only disputed it directly with Paypal, not her credit card, Paypal would have opened an investigation, and if you didn't respond, you would have lost the dispute.

The real issue is whether on not Paypal gave you the appropriate notice, and if you had the opportunity to defend your case

It does circumvent PayPal's policies - according to PayPal:

Chargebacks are initiated and handled by the buyer's credit card issuer - not by PayPal - and therefore will follow that company's regulations and timeframes.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/security/chargeback-guide#fighting_chargebacks