• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ear painful during airplane descent

uop1497

Reaction score
Hello :hi:
Does anyone know the tip how to prevent painful ear feeling when airplane descent. I have been flying on vacation and normally have no problem with my ear. However, on our last flying segment landing in SFO, I felt a crucial pain in both of my ears. At one point, I thought my ear drum will crack under pressure. I take a couple days for me to feel O.K again

We will fly again in coming months. I hope to learn good tip how to deal with it. Thank you

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many people swear by Earplanes -- available at most pharmacies, and online at Amazon.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Here's some info about Earplanes

Note, the cautionary statement: Earplanes™ are not recommend for use in the event of severe sinus congestion (completely blocked Eustachian tubes).

Matter of fact, many recommend not flying if you have a severe upper respiratory infectrion.

Do a Google Search - You'll find a variety of price points.

Richard

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
gum

I have always used the old fashioned remedy -- chewing gum during descent. It doesn't eliminate the pain but I have found that it does lessen the pressure/pain to a more bearable level.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have always used the old fashioned remedy -- chewing gum during descent. It doesn't eliminated the pain but I have found that it does lessen the pressure/pain to a more bearable level.

This strategy works for many but not all.

The reason it's recommended is that when chewing gum you secrete saliva which causes you to swallow. When you swallow the Eustachian Tube opens and allows for an air exchange between the oral cavity and the middle ear.

Even though airplane cabins are pressurized it does not compensate for your position change in the environment on takeoff and landings which is more rapid than the body can compensate for to allow the middle ear to equilibrate to ambient pressure.

Sometimes this process can be painful - although usually brief. If on landing, the aural fullness persists for more than a day - it's wise to see an ENT physician for treatment.

Richard

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Valsalva

When I was flying in high performance aircraft back in the day, one of the first breathing techniques taught was the Valsalva Maneuver. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

Always worked for me.

In simple terms, pinch your nose, close your mouth and blow out to relieve ear pressure. Pilot oxygen masks have some soft patches on the side of the mask to allow the pilot to pinch his nose shut.

That said, if you had sinus stuffiness, you were atomically grounded since rapid pressure changes without equalizing the ear pressure could rupture your eardrums. Not really a rupture problem in commercial aircraft but blocked sinuses can be very painful if you can't equalize the pressure.

Cheers

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did rupture my eardrum during a plane's descent. it was extremely painful. ENT said to spray with Afrin before getting on plane, and to use ear plugs.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Hello :hi:
Does anyone know the tip how to prevent painful ear feeling when airplane descent. I have been flying on vacation and normally have no problem with my ear. However, on our last flying segment landing in SFO, I felt a crucial pain in both of my ears. At one point, I thought my ear drum will crack under pressure. I take a couple days for me to feel O.K again

We will fly again in coming months. I hope to learn good tip how to deal with it. Thank you

Before flying, practice clearing your ears (making your ears 'pop' or 'flex' manually) a few times. Keep in mind:

• clearing your ears on the ground is no guarantee that they will clear in the air--but it's a good sign
  • taking decongestants can help, but if they wear-off during a long flight etc... you may be able to climb, but not descend. Bad Bad.
  • It is never a good idea to fly when moderately or heavily congested. If you can't clear your ears on the ground--don't fly.
  • If you have some congestion and are worried, it's always a good idea to carry a SEALED bottle of Afrin (Oxymetazoline). This will usually help with an 'emergency ear clearing' when needed. BUT, this should be an emergency solution, not a planned maneuver.
  • A fully blocked nasal/sinus/eustachian tube is a serious matter and can result in a blown sinus or ear drum.
If you have a hard time clearing your ears on a flight, contact the flight attendant immediately (not after it gets brutally painful). The crew may be able to help in a few different ways. Same goes for infants.
Below is the link/procedure for 'Valsalva manuever' -- the official name for 'clearing your ears.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver
The Valsalva maneuver or Valsalva manoeuvre is performed by moderately forceful attempted exhalation against a closed airway, usually done by closing one's mouth, pinching one's nose shut while pressing out as if blowing up a balloon. Variations of the maneuver can be used either in medical examination as a test of cardiac function and autonomic nervous control of the heart, or to "clear" the ears and sinuses (that is, to equalize pressure between them) when ambient pressure changes, as in diving, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, or air travel.

cheers and happy travels! :doh:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I did rupture my eardrum during a plane's descent. it was extremely painful. ENT said to spray with Afrin before getting on plane, and to use ear plugs.

As a flyer of over 28 years in poorly/unpressurized aircraft, I respectfully disagree.

Taking Afrin before the flight will open your ears for the ascent, but will quickly wear off and be less effective on the descent. The gas in your sinus/tubes will probably escape your tubes (under pressure) during the climb. During the descent however, the gas needs to get back into your tubes/sinus--this is means breaking the vacuum to re-pressurize. Much harder.
Save the Afrin for emergencies and don't fly with blocked ears. If you have no choice, consider using a long-term time released decongestant, make sure you can clear your ears before flying and carry the Afrin for the emergency that might happen.

Just sayin

uop1497

Reaction score
My ears were fine for the fly the whole time depart from SJU ==> IHA==> Denver (Pilot tried to ascent & descent the airplane a few times here at this airport due to bad weather) ==> Colorado Spring ==> Denver again .

Only the last leg (Denver ==> SFO) landing at SFO at 11:58pm causing the crucial pain in my ears. By that time, I was very tired of the long fly . My body was in recovery mode from cold symptoms.

I just hope this only one time incident . If it happens every time I fly, I am afraid my ear drum will not survive. Thinking back, the pain still visible in my memory.

Again, thank you for giving good advice.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yes, if flying while less than fully healthy, the flying only makes it get worse.

The afrin is a great emergency item. Replace once a year and keep it sealed. Use it at first sign of discomfort that can not be relieved. (probably on the way down). We also find that using a 'neti pot' may help flush sinus/nasal and relieve some discomfort.

good luck...hope it helps

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, if flying while less than fully healthy, the flying only makes it get worse.

The afrin is a great emergency item. Replace once a year and keep it sealed. Use it at first sign of discomfort that can not be relieved. (probably on the way down). We also find that using a 'neti pot' may help flush sinus/nasal and relieve some discomfort.

good luck...hope it helps

Spraying Afrin in your nose will help relieve pressure in your ears is something I will try on my next plane trip.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only the last leg (Denver ==> SFO) landing at SFO at 11:58pm causing the crucial pain in my ears. By that time, I was very tired of the long fly . My body was in recovery mode from cold symptoms.

This is the key here. The tubes between your ears and sinuses that are supposed to equalize pressure, were blocked with the 'residue' from your cold. It's likely that decongestant cold tablets or Afrin would have made your flight more comfortable.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score

On reading this I had a brief vision of you trying to use a neti pot on a plane! :D

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Ha ha ha . No that's more than before you leave thing I think . If you used airplane water to flush your sinuses I fear you might not make it off the plane . Period.

Sent from my Kindle...pls forgive errors and brevity

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Afrin is the best thing to use about one hour prior to ETA. If you are congested from a cold or allergies, take a decongestant about two hours prior to landing. I usually take Allegra.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I take Sudafed about 1 hour before takeoff then Afrin 15 minutes before take off. Then depending on the length of the flight, will repeat 4 hours later or 1 hour before landing. The worst pain I ever felt in my life was landing in Miami after a cross country flight 30 years ago. I've been doing this ever since when I fly with sinus congestion. If you don't have sinus congestion, please see a doctor before your next flight.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Usually a good yawn is all I need to equalize the pressure. I get it in the forehead.

dsexton

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Beach Quarters, RiverPointe, Westin Lagunamar, Sea Scape Beach and Golf Villas
My husband suffers with this exact problem as well. His doctor recommended taking a decongestant, which he did on our last trip and it worked great ! I think it was Sudafed.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Many people swear by Earplanes -- available at most pharmacies, and online at Amazon.

These are awesome. Whenever I'm not 100% and need to fly I bring these with just in case and typically use them before flight, and then another pair about 30-45 min before landing.

Sent from my iPad

uop1497

Reaction score
These are awesome. Whenever I'm not 100% and need to fly I bring these with just in case and typically use them before flight, and then another pair about 30-45 min before landing.

Sent from my iPad

I wonder if the earplanes and earplug is the same product. My work places always have earplug for needed worker who want to reduce noise in the Lab area.

On the days I travel, I have them in my purse, but I do not know it is useful to prevent inner ear during airplane descent.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wonder if the earplanes and earplug is the same product. My work places always have earplug for needed worker who want to reduce noise in the Lab area.

On the days I travel, I have them in my purse, but I do not know it is useful to prevent inner ear during airplane descent.

No, they are not the same. Go back to Post # 3 in this thread and click on the Earplanes link. Earplanes have graduated diameter slot that goes thoughout the earplane and has a patented filter. The earplugs do not have this.

Richard

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Standard earplugs are likely to make things worse.

Sent from my iPad

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I searched the internet for something for relief when driving down from local mountains. I was getting ear pain that would last a few days. Sudafed seemed to work for many people and I tried it. It worked for me. No ear pain, but was very tired from the medicine.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I searched the internet for something for relief when driving down from local mountains. I was getting ear pain that would last a few days. Sudafed seemed to work for many people and I tried it. It worked for me. No ear pain, but was very tired from the medicine.

Hi Presley,

Try the Earplanes. No side effects.

Richard