• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do in Boston?

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out the online version of Timeout Boston magazine for events. To add to the restaurant recommendations, I suggest Toscanini for ice cream and Giacomo's for Italian.

Giacomon's in the North End on Hanover street, across from Mike's Pastry is CASH ONLY. For that matter, so is Mike's :)

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah... there are duck boat tours which are fun and not too expensive. Travel around the city then float down the Charles.

Don't think Duck Tours will be operational in March, nor will the Swan Boats in the Public Garden

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
check online but I think Restaurant Week might still be on. You can get some unbelievable deals, especially at lunchtime.

joyzilli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Giacomo's

Giacomo's is on Columbus Ave near the Back Bay T station...is there another one in the North End also? Our son lives a few blocks from there and said the food was great and yes, cash only....we didn't try it this time but will put it on our list for next time.

Jay_G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mike's Bakery of course. I've heard there is a better, less touristy option, but can't recall the name.

Sheila

Modern Pastry is slightly better, but smaller
http://www.modernpastry.com/ I work at Government Center.

If you go to the north end for lunch M-F between 11 and 3 try La Famiglia
http://www.lafamigliagiorgio.com/ they have a sampler it's under $8 and comes with 5 things that are different each day. You can get any or all of the 5, I'm usually not sure about one or two of the 5 things, but I get them all and usually find I like those ones the best. (Except the pesto, I don't like that)

The Duck Tour is the best of anything in Boston. Every city has one but the one in Boston is the best, There are some "fakes" but http://www.bostonducktours.com/ is the one you want.

As someone who works in Boston, I like the New England Aquarium, though I have been to many better. I work at a training center that people come to from all over the country and if you go to the Aquarium in Atlanta, Baltimore, Cincinnati (Newport Ky) etc, SKIP the one in Boston you will be disappointed.

The saint Patrick's Day Parade is in South Boston on March 18th.
http://www.southbostonparade.org/ I have friends who will be marching in Star Wars costumes in that parade. (501st Legion)

Plymouth Plantation is nice, I should go there I haven't been in YEARS, Salem is an interesting city especially if you have any sort of affinity to Pagan spiritualism. The witch trial didn't involve witches but the city now has many shoppes that sell wands and crystals, herbs and potions. It also have a lot of small museums, like a pirate museum and witch museum. The Peabody Essex museum is also there. http://www.pem.org/

Victoria Station is one of my favorite dining locations in Salem, though there are many others. Nathaniel's at the Hawthorne hotel is good, but high end, thought the $25 333 special sounds like a great deal.
http://www.victoriastationsalem.com/
http://www.hawthornehotel.com/dining/

Boston is My city and if you want to know anything specific PM me.

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jay's post above reminded me - The small New England towns have their own flavor and may be worth a visit if you have a car. Concord is one that comes to mind. The Colonial Inn downtown has a nice Sunday brunch, too. Jay would probably give some better suggestions for quaint towns to visit.

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
Mike's Bakery of course. I've heard there is a better, less touristy option, but can't recall the name.

Sheila

We have been going to Mike's for years. The Food Channel touted Maria's Pastry as being better and no crowds. We will try it this October. http://mariaspastry.com/

zzcn69

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many thanks!!

I have printed off all your suggestions and am going to do as many as time permits. I see now that a week is not long enough. Thanks to all who responded. Am really looking forward to my trip. TUG RULES!!!!!

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
Giacomo's is on Columbus Ave near the Back Bay T station...is there another one in the North End also? Our son lives a few blocks from there and said the food was great and yes, cash only....we didn't try it this time but will put it on our list for next time.

North End Giacomo's is at 355 Hanover St. Go hungry and prepare to wait in line for a while. No reservations.

judyjht

TUG Member
Reaction score
How was your trip?? You could NOT have picked a better week - weather wise. It was in the 70s and 80's all week!! Hope you had a great time. I have lived here my whole life and have never seen the great weather so early. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :clap:

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know OP is probably back from the trip now, but want to add my must do for next time we go to Boston. The Sam Adams Brewery is up there somewhere and I want a tour!

Detailor

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Sam Adams Brewery is up there somewhere and I want a tour!

The Brewery Tours are at 30 Germania Street - it's either in the Roxbury or Jamaica Plain area of Boston (I can't remember which it's actually in). Tours start at 10 am with the last one starting at 3:00 almost everyday (on Fridays the last tour starts at 5:30 and there are no brewery tours on Sundays).

Dick Taylor

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Sam Adams brewery tours can be reached by the "T", followed by a short walk. You can also get to the Harpoon tastings - they have no tours. We were there on a Saturday close to Christmas. There were a total of 4 of us there and we were offered unlimited tastings. Since I don't drink much, (but DH is a beer fan), I had more than enough free beer there.

Another favorite spot for beer lovers is the Boston Beer Works. They brew a variety of beers with special ones to match the theme of the month. March of course, is Irish. They have a restaurant there too, with interesting food, including specials to match the monthly theme. There are 2 locations in Boston, one in Salem, and a number of other locations in nearby towns. One of the favorites that I often see people drinking is the "Bunker Hill Bluebeery". They also offer tours by appointment.

wellsronald18

Reaction score
There are tons of things to do in Boston besides museums (though I would say the MFA is worth checking out). You should check out the aquarium, Fenway park and its surroundings or Harvard Square. Also, it looks like your coming during St. Patty's day, so bring your drinking shoes!