• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Very Disappointed

malago

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well.....March is here and none of my trades have come thru.... HHI or Myrtle Beach for Aug. 2011. Been waiting since September...... now, i don't even know where to trade into....not long before August is here...... (kids vacation). Any suggestions where i can trade into (An Aruba 2BR Gold) and maybe get some luck and get into.....would like something that has a beach....It's been a brutal winter here New York....... :(

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You still may get one of those. Because its a driveable destination, people don't always make final plans too far ahead.

We own at Swallowtail in Sea Pines at HHI and if I deposit, it is usually right before the 60 day mark. We always debate whether or not to use every year. We often deposit or rent and then stay somewhere pet friendly.

Deb

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suggest adding Manor Club to the mix. Beautiful resort, lots of history, great amusement parks.

Charles

luvgoldns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Well.....March is here and none of my trades have come thru.... HHI or Myrtle Beach for Aug. 2011. Been waiting since September...... now, i don't even know where to trade into....not long before August is here...... (kids vacation). Any suggestions where i can trade into (An Aruba 2BR Gold) and maybe get some luck and get into.....would like something that has a beach....It's been a brutal winter here New York....... :(

Do you have enough MR points to hold a hotel week? That's what I do so I know I'm going (wherever) it's just a matter of where I'm going to stay.

ileneg

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
Consider II's ShortStay Exchange in Orlando for August

As illustrated below, II's ShortStay Exchange shows availability for up to 6 night stays in Orlando. You could deposit one of your weeks and book up to 12 nights. For example, if your schedule permits back-to-back stays, you could book the first week at a 2 Bedroom in Royal Palms starting Aug 6th and book the second stay at a 2 Bedroom in Sabal Palms starting Aug 12th.

If you are set on booking Marriott, there is availability at Royal, Sabal, Grande Vista, Cypress Harbour and Harbour Lake which check-in through Aug 23. With the exception of GV there are 2 bedroom villas. Do note that II Gold is required to book ShortStays but you can see if what is available meets your family's needs before upgrading if you haven't already.

Hope this helps you with a backup plan and best wishes with your II requests coming through.

ShortStayExchangeAugust2011Orlando.jpg

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your unsuccesful II trade.
I have summer HHI week which I didn't deposit (yet), I am keep thinking if I should or not.
I tried to rent the week, but if I cannot find a renter by early April, I will deposit my week. So please be patient, I believe most owners (in HHI & myrtle beach) go the same path like me :)

Last edited:

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score

The timeshares you are trying to trade into are not easy. Everybody wants the beach in Summer. With airfares high and money tight, many owners are using their weeks in the Summer. We live at the SE N C coastal beach. We own at the Barony. We go every year the first week of Sept. That week is even booked up. I would try for some different trades. We are right by a 12 mile beach. The town has 7500 people. In the Summer it goes to 30,000. Traffic and alot of tourists. Good luck.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not give all the hope up yet. My trade just came thru for June that II kept telling me it is a tough trade. Lots of owners probably have not deposited their weeks yet.

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you would consider Florida, you could add Ocean Pointe and Oceana Palms to the request.

malago

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all your kind suggestions. I am going to add a few more properties to my ongoing request and hopefully something will come thru. I think i was spoil because in the last 2 years when i traded the same Aruba week for HHI and Myrtle beach (Aug. 2009 and 2010) trades come thru in one month time..... would put trade in sept. and by oct. it would happen.......guess not this time :(

djs113

Reaction score
don't know which week in august you are looking for - but if its the last week in august going into labor day weekend - i may be able to help

check your IM

- david

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something is going on with all the Marriott summer beach weeks this year. I'm sorry to say this, but it's more than just Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head. Even the Florida properties (with the exception of Doral and a bulk banking of Pannama City) are or have been unavailable to exchangers this year. I've posted several times about this but it seems as though the DC has taken all the good beach weeks this year and also, many owners have not yet deposited their summer beach weeks.

I've had an exchange request in for any Marriott summer beach week, (i.e. Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head and all of Florida) since October/November. I am using a platinum Marriott week as an exchange. Back in October/November, there were several studios and a handful of one bedroom Florida beach weeks but that has been it.

I hope what some owners have posted is true, that the have simply not depostied their week, yet -- but I think it is more than that.

I do want to also add that since I began my search, I included all gold crown Myrtle Beach properties and I haven't received a match on any of those properties, either -- so I do think a lot of owners are using their week this year, or they have not deposited yet, or they are trying to rent.

I'm tired of waiting for a match, though. Good luck with your search. Lots of people in the same boat, though.

I wonder if the high gas prices this summer will keep many people from renting weeks at top dollar and sooner than later those renters will give up and deposit those weeks.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not give all the hope up yet. My trade just came thru for June that II kept telling me it is a tough trade. Lots of owners probably have not deposited their weeks yet.

Which resort/week did you trade for?

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
I hope what some owners have posted is true, that the have simply not depostied their week, yet -- but I think it is more than that.

For additional insight that may or may not correlate with these observations, see Message #48 in an earlier thread, Recorded Trust Documents.

In December, I received a Bonus Week Offer (AC) from Interval for both my July 4 and Labor Day weeks in Orlando (but not other weeks). We jumped for the AC and deposited the Labor Day week, hoping that we could string together 2 ShortStays with the AC for almost 3 weeks.

Friends of ours who also own in Orlando, Williamsburg, Las Vegas and Seaview did not receive this offer. They have not deposited their weeks - hoping for a Bonus Week offer. They are probably in good company.

Bottom line, there are several factors contributing to the lack of inventory for exchanges - and the wait is both disappointing and frustrating.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which resort/week did you trade for?

I traded 1 bedroom Grande Vista Platinum week for Marriott Village d’Ile de France in June. I only had one weekend for check-in dates. II kept telling me it would be hard. I kind of wondered why because I have made the trade successfully in the past. It did take much longer this time but so glad I got it finally.

ml855

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also gave up on my trade request through II. I had a request going since Fall, 2009 for Myrtle Beach and HHI for this upcoming summer and finally gave up. I decided to take a Royal Sands week in Cancun for summer, 2012 instead, we also love this resort.

This summer, 2011 we're renting from an owner, by renting we're getting the week and view we want. We thought about buying resale into Myrtle Beach but decided to rent instead.

I also believe something is going on with all the summer beach weeks, this is the first year in the last 4, I haven't been able to pick up this exchange.

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
Be patient

I suspect Marriott is not only holding all of their inventory ( both owned and via Marriott Reward traders) but also grabbing every HHI summer beach vacation time for the points owners or potential points users.

Both Marriott and owners who rent are likely to turn in their villas to HHI at the last minute within the 30-60 days.

I just came back from Marriott's Ko-Olina Beach club in Hawaii and about 40% of the people I talked to were non-owners and nearly all of them got their trade within the last 30-60 days.

Good luck!

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score

You should have joined the Marriott Destination Points program. I have found availability at SurfWatch, Barony, Ocean Watch, and Grande Ocean in June and July. Those were all in the last 3 weeks through Destination Points. I have found the Destination Points system works great. Even places like Aruba during March and April, has shown availability in the last month. This is just by calling in and asking what is available.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect Marriott is not only holding all of their inventory ( both owned and via Marriott Reward traders) but also grabbing every HHI summer beach vacation time for the points owners or potential points users.

Exchange Procedures said:
Exchange Company shall have the right to forecast anticipated reservations and use of the Accommodations and is authorized to demand balance, reserve, deposit, or rent the Accommodations for the purpose of facilitating the use or future use of the Accommodations or other benefits made available to Members through the program in it's sole discretion

This gives MVCI a lot of leeway is "hoarding" inventory. I think however that in future years you will see it loosen up some. Currently MVCI doesn't have any history to really go from, once they have a few years under their belt with DC, they will be better able to accurately forecast use. Currently they think their program is so grande that everyone is going to want to use points that they are wanting to get as much inventory as they can. They will end up depositing lots of that in II when it goes unused.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
You should have joined the Marriott Destination Points program. I have found availability at SurfWatch, Barony, Ocean Watch, and Grande Ocean in June and July. Those were all in the last 3 weeks through Destination Points. I have found the Destination Points system works great. Even places like Aruba during March and April, has shown availability in the last month. This is just by calling in and asking what is available.
No - Marriott should not be screwing their Loyal Owners - I am a 10 year owner of 4, now 3 Platinum weeks (and responsible for the sale of 30+ more weeks to friends) and they are withholding and/or withdrawing weeks from II inventory to 'save' for people who paid their 'ransom' money to protect their investments.

I am glad u r happy but sad it has to be on my back and other owners who were happy with the old program. Just read all the threads here of people who have happily traded thru II for years.....very very sad indeed. :(

wof45

TUG Member
Reaction score
No - Marriott should not be screwing their Loyal Owners - I am a 10 year owner of 4, now 3 Platinum weeks (and responsible for the sale of 30+ more weeks to friends) and they are withholding and/or withdrawing weeks from II inventory to 'save' for people who paid their 'ransom' money to protect their investments.(

I could make the opposite argument --

people who are buying DC points through the Trust are also Loyal Owners, so why should the weeks that they own part of be deposited into II until they have a chance to reserve these weeks?

Reservation lead time depends on points owned, so they need to reserve weeks to be reserved by people who are not premium members, and even for people who own trust points but are not DC members.

it would be easy to make the case that MVCI should not deposit extra weeks to II until flexchange time.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I could make the opposite argument --

people who are buying DC points through the Trust are also Loyal Owners, so why should the weeks that they own part of be deposited into II until they have a chance to reserve these weeks?

Reservation lead time depends on points owned, so they need to reserve weeks to be reserved by people who are not premium members, and even for people who own trust points but are not DC members.

it would be easy to make the case that MVCI should not deposit extra weeks to II until flexchange time.

If Marriott is pulling these prime weeks from II, it begs the question, what is it offering back to II in exchange? It doesn't seem that they are giving II back equally prime weeks (one for one). If that were the case, it would balance itself out, which doesn't appear to be happening.

Are they instead giving II multiple lower demand/shoulder season weeks that in IIs eyes is equal to the week Marriott took back.

If that is the case, it is good for II in a way that they can get two or more exchange fees out of those multiple weeks instead of just one. That is if they can exchange out those two or more weeks and not lose any of them to breakage.

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
No - Marriott should not be screwing their Loyal Owners - I am a 10 year owner of 4, now 3 Platinum weeks (and responsible for the sale of 30+ more weeks to friends) and they are withholding and/or withdrawing weeks from II inventory to 'save' for people who paid their 'ransom' money to protect their investments.

I am glad u r happy but sad it has to be on my back and other owners who were happy with the old program. Just read all the threads here of people who have happily traded thru II for years.....very very sad indeed. :(

I am sorry for that. I was happy with the old system as well. But I took the leap and must say that I am happy with the availability of normally difficult to get weeks at high demand resorts. I just took the view that things always change in life and sometimes you have to roll with it.

One thing I have noticed is sometimes the agents put me on hold when checking inventory. I beleive they must be checking another pool of inventory because they usually come back on and say there is availability.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
If Marriott is pulling these prime weeks from II, it begs the question, what is it offering back to II in exchange? It doesn't seem that they are giving II back equally prime weeks (one for one). If that were the case, it would balance itself out, which doesn't appear to be happening.

Are they instead giving II multiple lower demand/shoulder season weeks that in IIs eyes is equal to the week Marriott took back.

If that is the case, it is good for II in a way that they can get two or more exchange fees out of those multiple weeks instead of just one. That is if they can exchange out those two or more weeks and not lose any of them to breakage.

Agree

I am sorry for that. I was happy with the old system as well. But I took the leap and must say that I am happy with the availability of normally difficult to get weeks at high demand resorts. I just took the view that things always change in life and sometimes you have to roll with it.
One thing I have noticed is sometimes the agents put me on hold when checking inventory. I believe they must be checking another pool of inventory because they usually come back on and say there is availability.

I would have leapt if there had been an equitable deal - I felt it was not. No need to rehash that and thank you for not 'jumping' on me for my negative response to your post.

It is always difficult to change and I looked forward to the Marriott one but had hoped it would have been modeled after the Starwood System which granted the top resorts mostly the same amount of points but still gave you home resort booking priority.....didn't happen and the numbers just didn't make sense to me.

In the past, the trades I have made have been for additional time at the Aruba Surf/Ocean Club in March - using other Marriott weeks or Westin Weeks with ongoing searches getting the match.....when u get the confirmation, it has the owners name on the exchange. These units NEVER said "developer" although I have had Developer on other exchanges I have made to other resorts. (correction - trades made when the Aruba Surf Club first opened in 2004 were developer weeks)
It is my impression that the Platinum Time at Aruba Ocean/Surf Club is pretty much sold out - certainly at the Ocean Club - so these exchanges I have made in the past were owner deposited weeks....my question is, where have these owner deposited weeks gone????

Answer - see dioxide's post above :cool: as well as your statement of "checking another source" for those weeks given to DC Club members

Last edited:

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree

I would have leapt if there had been an equitable deal - I felt it was not. No need to rehash that and thank you for not 'jumping' on me for my negative response to your post.

It is always difficult to change and I looked forward to the Marriott one but had hoped it would have been modeled after the Starwood System which granted the top resorts mostly the same amount of points but still gave you home resort booking priority.....didn't happen and the numbers just didn't make sense to me.

In the past, the trades I have made have been for additional time at the Aruba Surf/Ocean Club in March - using other Marriott weeks or Westin Weeks with ongoing searches getting the match.....when u get the confirmation, it has the owners name on the exchange. These units NEVER said "developer" although I have had Developer on other exchanges I have made to other resorts. (correction - trades made when the Aruba Surf Club first opened in 2004 were developer weeks)
It is my impression that the Platinum Time at Aruba Ocean/Surf Club is pretty much sold out - certainly at the Ocean Club - so these exchanges I have made in the past were owner deposited weeks....my question is, where have these owner deposited weeks gone????
Answer - see dioxide's post above :cool: as well as your statement of "checking another source" for those weeks given to DC Club members

I can tell you that there is no shortage of weeks at Ocean Club and Surf Club for Destination Points owners. I call in all the time and ask about availability at those resorts, and I can tell you that there has been a lot of availability during the winter at Surf Club and Ocean Club. So, the answer to your question about where the platinum week have gone, they are been held in the Destination Points system. That is just my opinion. It may not be fact.

Last edited: