• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shell - do you have better luck on the phone?

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am having issues with Shell's website - shocker, I know.

EDIT: I have answered my own questions. The summary is No, it is not more helpful to call them when their website messes up.

Last edited:

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good answer...

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, crap I have to bank my Shell points...

Do I have to call or can I do that online?

Rumpled

Reaction score
You can generally bank points online, just make sure it's confirmed and you get that email.
I got burned once.

I must be the odd one, because I rarely have issues with the Shell website.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, crap I have to bank my Shell points...

Do I have to call or can I do that online?

I tried twice online and it failed both times. I called and they did it for me over the phone and only charged me the online price because the website wouldn't let me do it.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just banked my points online .... MAYBE.

"Error with credit card.

This transaction has been approved.

Should contact merchant to make sure you received item."

And the translation is?

I think I will call Shell. :confused: Got charged $17.50 ... and I printed everything out ... like my experience with Wyndham ==> that means what?

CALLED: Did not Bank the points .. might have charged my credit card.... UGH! Only got charged the $17.50 when I called in.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I think Hector and Sammy are the best Shell employees to help with issues. I have been very pleased with their customer service. The two have been there quite a while, and they let me change the name on a reservation without charging me a dime. I have other bad experiences, so I ask for those two only. No sense wasting my time.

I lost all of my benefits, which I had until recently, like Dash Away Deals, and the ability to book resorts like Cliff's Club with points.

It happened all of a sudden, so Wyndham is really working hard to make resale buyers feel like toads.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Hector and Sammy are the best Shell employees to help with issues. I have been very pleased with their customer service. The two have been there quite a while, and they let me change the name on a reservation without charging me a dime. I have other bad experiences, so I ask for those two only. No sense wasting my time.

I lost all of my benefits, which I had until recently, like Dash Away Deals, and the ability to book resorts like Cliff's Club with points.

It happened all of a sudden, so Wyndham is really working hard to make resale buyers feel like toads.

Hector is cool. Cliff is my favorite, mellow personality and the most knowledgeable I've encountered. Eddie, Ana, and George are also good too. There are only a couple that I don't particularly care for.

Changing names on a reservation has never cost me anything with any agent I've spoken to.

What do you mean you lost Dashaway Deals. I believe you must be mistaken.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just banked my points online .... MAYBE.

"Error with credit card.

This transaction has been approved.

Should contact merchant to make sure you received item."

And the translation is?

I think I will call Shell. :confused: Got charged $17.50 ... and I printed everything out ... like my experience with Wyndham ==> that means what?

CALLED: Did not Bank the points .. might have charged my credit card.... UGH! Only got charged the $17.50 when I called in.

Your card most certainly got charged and you will need to call customer service (not reservations) or select the "Contact Us" link on the site to request that your card ending in XXXX was erroneously charged for $17.50 after receiving that error message.

This booking engine has been broken, yet again for the 674th time, for at least a month for many members, though apparently not all. As of yesterday, I still must call to make all reservations, because I still have the same reservation errors online. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how they stand for this perpetual half-assedness, on a basic personal dignity level.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Hector is cool. Cliff is my favorite, mellow personality and the most knowledgeable I've encountered. Eddie, Ana, and George are also good too. There are only a couple that I don't particularly care for.

Changing names on a reservation has never cost me anything with any agent I've spoken to.

What do you mean you lost Dashaway Deals. I believe you must be mistaken.

I tried to book a room at Peacock Suites, and it was charging me .25 per point. It was for the next day check-in, four consecutive nights. I got to the point of adding my credit card, and it was .25 per point. No joke. :(:( It was just three days ago.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried to book a room at Peacock Suites, and it was charging me .25 per point. It was for the next day check-in, four consecutive nights. I got to the point of adding my credit card, and it was .25 per point. No joke. :(:( It was just three days ago.

Here is the deal with that. Dashaway deals will always be superseded by discounted point deals. Discounted point deals are at the regular rate. Click on the Discounted Points link to see what the discounts are for the next 30 to 45 days (they sometimes drag their feet updating the table on the site even though the discounted points are already loaded into the system).

So, for example, if you were trying to book Peacock Suites for, say 1700 pts. When you proceed to book, if there is a discounted point deal, then you would see something pop up showing a discount of, say, 250 pts. You now have the "benefit" of either using 1450 points from your account or renting those 1450 points at the regular rate of $0.25 per point. Of course we would much rather have the dashaway deal of $0.15 per point against 1700 pts, but that is not an option. This is irksome to me.

So long and short is you still have your dashaway deals whenever a discounted point overlay is not in place.

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was charge 5xs for the reservation I tried to make. I tried 5xs online, but STILL no reservation. So, I called. Was told there was no reservation- so he made it for me (not on first name basis yet so don't know who I spoke to) and he wanted to charge $25-and was told I would then need to call back to try to get it reduced to $17.50 (b/c their site was not working!). I know, not that much, but the principle of this issue. Well, I argued that and a supervisor agreed to the $17.50 charge. I still had to call during the week to get my other charges reversed-originally I was told this would happen automatically, but NO, they will keep your overcharges. I'm not pleased w/ Shell. Do love the properties. And, BTW, what the H.ll am I paying $25 for?? 4 mins of their time? What about mine? :confused::mad:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I...And, BTW, what the H.ll am I paying $25 for?? 4 mins of their time? What about mine? :confused::mad:

That is TRULY cheap according to the Wyndham's other managed resorts - the NEW operator of those resorts. Us Wyndham owners get charge $99 for EACH online guest certificate ... call in is $129 per guest certificate.

Can you say "Profit for Wyndham"?.

PS I am also a Shell Vacation Club Member ... see you around the pool. I don't plan on sending guests ... family has been moving into that area of the country for 30+ years...

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your card most certainly got charged and you will need to call customer service (not reservations) or select the "Contact Us" link on the site to request that your card ending in XXXX was erroneously charged for $17.50 after receiving that error message.

Does that work? I mentioned on the phone that the charge showed as pending and was told that it would eventually go away wouldn't really charge. However, they did charge me for both failed attempts at online banking. Just wondering if you had success using the contact us or if I need to dispute with my credit card.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does that work? I mentioned on the phone that the charge showed as pending and was told that it would eventually go away wouldn't really charge. However, they did charge me for both failed attempts at online banking. Just wondering if you had success using the contact us or if I need to dispute with my credit card.

Yes, it takes a few days but they will reverse it. If you prefer more instant gratification, you can also call the customer service number (not the reservations number; the regular agents typically give that canned response about it being a soft hold and falling off).