• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying a RCI Points timeshare?

horsecreek

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found a timeshare EOY that has been converted to RCI points. I like the fixed week underlying property and would use it mostly. My question is do I have to pay for RCI membership? yearly? even though I would use the week. The points are high so I might like to trade it once in awail so how does it work? MF $732/use for 92,500 RCI Points.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The maintenance fee per point (less than a penny) is good, but yes you have to pay for the points account if you intend to use the points. If not dont pay, but be sure to follow the rules to reserve your week each time. I dont think you can be a points member only once in a while

I bought a similar points contract with the intention of making last minute 9000 points reservations...A contract like yours would make for 10 weeks.... not bad for the $124 membership and $732 maintenance fee.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
92,500 EOY Points? Must Be Vacation Village At Parkway.

I found a timeshare EOY that has been converted to RCI points. I like the fixed week underlying property and would use it mostly. My question is do I have to pay for RCI membership? yearly? even though I would use the week. The points are high so I might like to trade it once in awail so how does it work? MF $732/use for 92,500 RCI Points.
If you just show up & check in yourself for your own deeded week, there's not a reason in the world to pay for RCI Points membership.

But if you are not an RCI Points member, then your points timeshare unit drops out of the points system. It reverts to straight-weeks status, & no doubt would cost you $3,000 or so to get it re-converted into points once again if you ever decide to do that in the future.

Meanwhile, you can just show up & check in yourself any in deeded alternate year that you want & RCI can go whistle.

Full Disclosure: We bought the dinkiest possible eBay Vacation Village At Parkway triennial points unit last year -- 55,500 triennial points, issued as 18,500 points annually. Then the devil made us snipe in a winning eBay bid earlier this week on a slightly less dinky Vacation Village At Parkway triennial points unit -- 74,000 triennial points. issued as 24,667 points annually. From all we can tell, non-dinky triennial points units at Vacation Village At Parkway -- i.e., 92,500 triennial points, issued as 30,833 points annually -- come up on eBay seldom if at all. The Vacation Village At Parkway biennial points units we have seen on eBay issue all the points in the deeded year & zero points in the in-between years, unlike the triennial points units for which points are issued every year. Go figure.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Don't waste the fees already paid for membership in points

If you ant to preserve the ability to use that time in RCI Points then yu will need to pay the annual RCI Points Membership fee. By doing so you are giving your weeks use to RCI Points so if you wish to USE the wek you must make the reservation in the proper time frame allowed to assure you get it.

Why pay for years when you don't plan to use he RCI Points? Because it gives you access to specials & rentals PLUS saves you having to pay (can be as low as $300 but often as high as $2999 +) to reinstate your week with RCI Points. The previous owners paid the conversion and now you get that benefit - but only if you keep the membership current (paid). The few years of membership fees "wasted" (although you should get a rental or two as value out) is likely far less than it would cost to rejoin after dropping the current membership. It's very easy to get out - far more costly to get back in.

horsecreek

TUG Member
Reaction score
between family?

Thanks for response, I've been reading. Interesting tri annual points devide. I guess the bi-annual can move points year before or after. Further question is can I give my extra (leftover) points to my father-in-law as he has an RCI account but never has enough points to go to Maui?

Further, the point converted timeshare has the points defined but if the same timeshare was a week timeshare deposited ASAP would the trade value be the same? Do they give you points when you deposit? And lastly is the point timeshare saving you money vs. Week deposite path?

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can transfer RCI Points between members. :)

I have about 275K of RCI points - I brought most of them for the underlying weeks, but have used the points over the years for really nice places - 2 DVC stays and 1 Manhatten Club week.

Enjoy your purchase....

jlwquilter

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You CAN NOT deposit a RCI Points week into the straight Weeks side of RCI. If you reserve your underlying week for your own use, you can rent out the week, stay the week yourself, or deposit it into A NON-RCI exchange company (assuming they take it).

In order to deposit the underlying week into RCI Weeks, you have to take the timeshare entirely out of the Points program.

I have just bought a week like yours. I am going to give RCI Points a test drive for a few years. If I like how Points work for me, great, I keep the week in Points and use it that way.

If I don't like how Points works for me, I will yank the week out of Points and have the great underlying week (although it won't be an underlying week anymore as the points are gone for good and it will be a straight vanilla week) to deposit into Weeks.