• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Totally clueless.... [Diamond Resorts]

SheilaF

Reaction score
Totally clueless....

My son and his family and I just spent a week at Diamond Resort's San Luis Bay Resort in California, we purchased the week from a member on
Craig's List ... a week for $375.00, wonderful deal for a one bedroom with an additional lock off!! We had a great stay and decided to attend a meeting to see if membership would be something we would be interested in. We didn't purchase at the time, came home to think about it, and I found this TUG website while I was researching (thank God!!). We were offered the same deal as DRI Newbie (about $10,000 for 2500 points) and were definitely going to go for it, now I'm thinking it is not a good idea. The part that really interested us was The Club, where you could reserve lodging in many different resorts for a week for around $350 for the week. My son travels a lot and this was a very interesting concept for his business travel. My question is.. if we purchase points from a resale, which sounds like the best option, is there a way to get into The Club so you can access the deals they offer. OR is there another TS out there that is a better deal than Diamond Resorts? Also, the maintenance fees seem outrageously priced, is there a TS that has lower fees? I am BRAND NEW at this, do not own a Time Share yet, but am very interested. Thank you.:)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi and welcome to TUG!

When you compare maintenance fees, have you considered how much it would cost to rent the same property? That's a good way to figure out if the maintenance fee is high or not. You can't really compare the maintenance fee to renting a hotel room. With a timeshare you get a condo with a kitchen, living area, private bedroom, and often laundry facilities, etc. So you are getting more value for your money.

There is a huge range - my 1 bedroom timeshare in Tahoe is about $500 a week and my 2 bdm. on Maui is about $2,200 a week. :eek:

What range are you looking for, in a maintenance fee?

Last edited:

SheilaF

Reaction score
Well like I said I am really just starting to research this, so don't know the numbers too well. Diamond Resorts didn't sell specific locations, they sell points to be used to rent at their resorts, and evidently 2500 points a year doesn't really amount to all that much. The Maintenance fee on 2500 points was about $800 a year. The more points you have, of course, the higher the maintenance fees. It seems if you want to book a 2 bedroom resort quite a ways out(timewise), you need about 10,000 points or so. But we were really interested in what they called The Club, and they showed us a book that had resorts in it, that if booked less than a month out got really fantastic rates, like $350 for a 2 bedroom for a week.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
But we were really interested in what they called The Club, and they showed us a book that had resorts in it, that if booked less than a month out got really fantastic rates, like $350 for a 2 bedroom for a week.

This is what they probably didn't tell you - almost everything good is gone at 1 month out. All the will be left is less desirable resorts and locations. So it's not really a good deal. It's certainly not worth the thousands more you would pay if you buy from the developer. You can pick up Diamond points for nearly free on the resale market.

Last edited:

SheilaF

Reaction score
That is pretty much what we are figuring out from reading the posts on here. Are there other timeshares that are better than Diamond? Like maybe Hyatt or Hilton or Marriott or any of those, I think it could be a while to make a decision, looks like I have a lot of learning to do!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are lots of options and they aren't really better or worse - it's what fits your needs the best.