• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Things to do in Scottsdale

Richierich2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Scottsdale to Kierland Villas the 12th through the 18th, we are now realizing that it is a little late in the year to go and it is going to be hot but was still working on my corporate and personal taxes at the end of April.

Soooo...... We were wondering what to do in Scottsdale other than lay by the pool and hang out?

We have a 1.5 year old and a 5 year old. I did look at the SW forum but did not find anything specific. Don't think we are going to drive to the Grand Canyon as they are little, we will save that for when they can remember it.

We have a rental car......

Any better grocery stores, etc, I assume they have Albertson, Fred Meyers or Safeway. Not going to do Costco like we did in Maui.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to Sedona and Prescott... both places are cool in Summer. Sedona is gorgeous. One of the lakes at Prescott is also breathtaking.

GerryWA

Reaction score
Just got back myself. Check out tubing/kyak on Salt River, not that far away, 20 miles.

FRY,s is a good grocery chain there, one we went to had grea produce. Its going to be hot

BLUE AYES

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
Plat. for Life
Phoenix Zoo, Apache Trail, Heard Museum, Talisman

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Best time for me is January, during the Barrett-Jackson auction!

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a grocery store very close to the villas. When you are leaving the villas, turn right on the main road. The grocery store is on the left hand side in a strip mall, along with a sports bar and a deli. (At least as of 2010.) The store is very close, probably less than half a mile away from the villas.

Finding activities to do on vacation with a toddler can be difficult. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law live in the Phoenix are and have preschoolers. I know they go to the zoo and the childrens' museum quite often. I don't think they are necessarily the best in the country, but they are fun for the kids.

The Heard Museum is absolutely phenomenal! They do have a lot of interactive activities for kids. While we were there, most of the craft activities were geared towards middle to upper elementary-aged kids. (At least the ones I remember.) We went with friends that also live in the the area. Our kids (12-14 at the time) split from us and explored separately from the adults. When we got back together, all the kids said they enjoyed the Heard more than the Smithsonian Museum of American Indians, which they had been to the month before.

If you go to Sedona, I love the Palatki Heritage site! You need to make reservations in advance, though.

http://www.sedona-arizona-vacations.com/sedona-hikes-hiking/palatki-heritage-site-sedona/

MarkAndLeah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas
If you have a rental car, a really fun day trip is a drive to the Senora Desert Museum in Tucson.

I have been there twice, once 12 years ago and once 2-3 years ago, with our 6 and 8 year olds. They really liked it. You can also spend a couple of hours in Tucson while you are there.

There are great mexican restaurants in the Phoenix / Scottsdale area. Carolina's is our favorite.

Make sure you get to the Lazy River at the Westin Hotel, next to the timeshares - the kids will LOVE that.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
To add to the list:

african safari animal exhibit in the west valley(the kids will love this, lions and savannah animals in an open environment), Canyon Lake is nice to rent a boat and enjoy the water and high cliffs, Not for the kids but Scottsdale Gun Club is a world class facility (and air conditioned), Hiking South Mountain in the morning before it gets hot, horse back riding in the AM, Sedona was mentioned but Payson is also worth a mention. Scottsdale Fashion Square for the wife to spend your hard earned dough, and golf (morning tee times!)

About grocery stores, our favorite is AJs Fine Foods, its like Whole Foods but better quality IMO (but more expensive)

For the "regular" grocery stores, the chains are:

Safeway (called dominicks in the midwest)
Frys (this is Kroger foods)
Albertsons (Jewel-Osco in the midwest)

Last edited:

fasha39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV,
We are going to Scottsdale to Kierland Villas the 12th through the 18th, we are now realizing that it is a little late in the year to go and it is going to be hot but was still working on my corporate and personal taxes at the end of April.

Soooo...... We were wondering what to do in Scottsdale other than lay by the pool and hang out?

We have a 1.5 year old and a 5 year old. I did look at the SW forum but did not find anything specific. Don't think we are going to drive to the Grand Canyon as they are little, we will save that for when they can remember it.

We have a rental car......

Any better grocery stores, etc, I assume they have Albertson, Fred Meyers or Safeway. Not going to do Costco like we did in Maui.

Head out on clubgate and when you hit the stoplight the mall across the street to the right has as Safeway. There is a Whole Foods at the end of Scottsdale Dr just before the 101 on the left. Costco is off Frank Lloyd Wright, can't remember the exact street.

Crackerjax is on Scottsdale Dr. - bumper boats, games etc. your crew might be a little young but I'm sure your 5yr old would like it.

SunSand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diamondback's baseball game. It's indoors and they have a play area for kids and great refreshments for the big kids. Fun place.

mandoggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I swear to god I could redeem every Starwood point we own at WKV. We love it that much. Rawhide is one of our faves and Sugarbowl ice cream. The kids programs are outstanding. Take advantage of all they have to offer. Even little things like the miniput and the waterjets behind the pools at the villas makes for a good time. The pools at both resorts are fantastic. The lazy river is wonderful.
FYI The food at drinks are cheaper at the villas than the main hotel for the same thing.
The breakfast buffet at the main hotel is fab. Ask for their juice of the day!!
Make sure the kids see the bagpiper at sunset at the main hotel. Go to the kids club at the hotel so the kids can get a lanyard and begin collecting pins....fun!!

dspring

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a wonderful half day trip, drive out to the Apache Trail. Fantastic Desert Mountain Views including Sahuaro, Canyon, and Roosevelt Lakes. Tortilla Flats (population 6) is a great stop for lunch - saddle bar-seats and and $ bills stapple over the walls & ceilings

Night frisbee with a lighted frisbee on the Kierland golf course is a hoot, although perhaps not appreciated by mgt

Richierich2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here now.

Very nice though weather is a bit warm but perfect for the pool.

Have the studio that does have a sliding glass door for privacy, but only a mini fridge. Room are very nice.

Got put on first floor of building 5, overlooking the golf course. We have two families of ducks, a hare and have seen a few lizards. The girls are loving the ducklings.

We went to Safeway the first day, and then to Walgreens to get everything we forgot. I will go to Frys for steaks tomorrow. (heard the meat department was better)

We are going to Arizona mueseum of natural history tomorrow after our Morning swim. Then back to the resort to see the Bagpiper and get more stamps for the pins.

Might go to Big surf waterpark on Thursday but we will see how tomorrow goes.

Liking the villas and larger resort area, we have had dinner out twice which is actually 4 meals, just got dinner to go after our afternoon swim at the Villa grill.

When we were in Las Vegas last year and Maui in October we did a lot of activities, so trying to veg out a little.

My wife does not want to get a massage so we are not doing a tour. ($100 AMEX card and 30% off Agave Spa, 20% off of food). I am still leaning towards buying Maui but I am going to ask to see the demo unit large side. Might even drive into the Sedona? That is close by.

Last edited:

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
The new Musical Instrument Museum is very interesting and unique. It is located at Tatum and Mayo just south of the 101 near Desert Ridge.
Check it out.
Doug

Musical Instrument Museum
4725 E. Mayo Boulevard
Phoenix, AZ 85050

http://www.themim.org/

Richierich2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well......

Just wanted to let you know we had a great time at Kierland, really is a beautiful resort. Kids loved the pool and they let my daughter who is not quite 42 inches go down the slide which made her week. It was warm 104 degrees, but kept wet at the pool and slight breeze made it nice. We did not do much other than lay by the pool.

We went over to the resort 3 times, for swimming, tried the lazy river twice, the other time they closed at 5, which seems early to me. They would not let my daughter on that side cuz she was 41 inches, but we slipped and said it was "lame" anyways because the kids were going so slow. She did not seem to care as we had the other one at the villas. The lifeguard said it was because they were a resort, and the villa pool is technically owner occuppied so classified as more a back yard pool.

We went to one Museum in Mesa that had Dinosaurs and the girls loved it, better than the one we have in Portland. Would have done a ghost town but it was too hot for the girls, and we will come back.

But because it was so hot we laid by the pool and took naps. Pretty boring if it had been a Hawaii/Carribean vaca, but for something inexpensive in the US it was perfect. I even ended up with money in my wallet when we left, (never happens on vacations)

Rented here to see if I wanted to buy, and even though I would come back in a few years, still yearning for Hawaii, knowing we probably would get more use out of it.

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a rental car, a really fun day trip is a drive to the Senora Desert Museum in Tucson.

I have been there twice, once 12 years ago and once 2-3 years ago, with our 6 and 8 year olds. They really liked it. You can also spend a couple of hours in Tucson while you are there.

There are great mexican restaurants in the Phoenix / Scottsdale area. Carolina's is our favorite.

Make sure you get to the Lazy River at the Westin Hotel, next to the timeshares - the kids will LOVE that.

It is really hot this time of year to go to the Sonora desert museum. I would not recommend, as most of the animals will be hiding due to the heat. I would just hate to have you drive all of the way to Tucson for nothing. If you ever go in the winter, I HIGHLY recommend Sonira Dsert Museum. :)

What about going to a D-backs game? You could also drive up to Sedona or the Grand Canyon for day trips from Scottsdale.

Michelle