• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wifi in Mexico does not have to be slow

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I have seen numerous postings from time to time on TUG that report slow internet speed at Mexican resorts.. Several posters imply that nothing can be done about this...it's just a Mexico thing. I'd like to report that the latter just is not true.

I am sitting now in the Royal Elite VIP lounge at Sandos Playacar. My most recent Speedtest.net reading is 44.70 Mbps download, 37.25 upload, with a ping of 3ms. Earlier tests were almost as good.

Moral: Mexican resorts can provide very good wifi speeds...if they want to. It seems that many of these slow resorts are slow by design/inattention...or (sometimes) by a desire to make money by charging extra for usable wifi speeds (Grand Luxxe is one such case).

Perhaps it would help if those of us who are owners in Mexico would make an effort to lean on management to upgrade their service here. If Sandos can do it, at least in the clubs and lobbies, others should be able to do so as well.

Lest I leave you with the impression that all is rosy here...not so. Wifi in our villa in almost unusable. It's only when I go to a more central area that I get very fine speeds.

I guess I need to do some leaning too.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Internet is really fast at the Buganvilias if you are willing to pay $60, which we did this week. The next time we go to Grand Luxxe we will pay for the premium there so that we have fast internet in our unit. The internet that was free in the unit was pretty slow. When we were at the Mondavi, the internet in the unit was awful, but if we went to the central area near the offices, it was pretty good. We just like to have it when we kick back in the afternoon or evening.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem here in Mexico is high speed internet is very costly. Some places high speed is very difficult to obtain. PV and NV have some of the slowest internets I have experienced to be honest. When I went to my house in boston Mass. I was amazed at the high speed internet we had, lightning fast compared to top speed I can get at my home in Mexico. Just saying..

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found it interesting that internet speed was at least twice as fast or faster at our little casita in the middle of Akumal than at the Royal Hacienda the following week just outside of Playa del Carmen.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Possibly more users at the resort than casita...you will never figure out Mexico, I stil cannot and have been here 16 years..LOL.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, bandwidth for sure, but given my annual maintenance fees at the Royal Hacienda, I expect better. :annoyed: