• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First time in Cancun - Royal Cancun - Questions

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given the negativity against Mercado 28, I would have thought it was more about safety and perhaps illegal activities going on there than simply not your favorite. You were rather ferociously against Mercado 28 and it was all because Mercado 23 is your favorite and Mercado 28 is not? :confused:

It's clear you're interested in Mercado 28. You should go there to experience it, wouldn't you agree?

When will you be in Cancun?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It's clear you're interested in Mercado 28. You should go there to experience it, wouldn't you agree?

When will you be in Cancun?

That isn't the case at all. We were planning to visit Mercado 28 on our upcoming trip and when I saw your post I wondered if there was some reason we shouldn't. Since you really haven't been clear or forthcoming with what you have against Mercado 28, I really can't figure out why we would want to go to one over the other. This conversation has been frustrating to say the least. I give up.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
That isn't the case at all. We were planning to visit Mercado 28 on our upcoming trip and when I saw your post I wondered if there was some reason we shouldn't. Since you really haven't been clear or forthcoming with what you have against Mercado 28, I really can't figure out why we would want to go to one over the other. This conversation has been frustrating to say the least. I give up.

So, you've never been to Mercado 28, you're not interested in it, but planned on going there on you're upcoming trip. But I haven't been clear? :shrug:

I'm right there with ya.. I give up.

buceo

Reaction score
dioxide45, we get to the two mercodos maybe every few years. 28 has El Cejas, a good/semi-local, popular restaurant, but the vendors there have gotten aggressive over the years (amazing to me if that actually woks). 23 at last visit 2 yrs ago is still much quieter. A more local flare for local produce. For that, it is/was, a good spot. Though we take friends to El Cejas at 28 and they always enjoy it. If you want to shop for produce I'd go to 23. I didn't look, but likely tripadvisor will have current posts on both.

gl_fl

Reaction score
Thank you

Just wanted to thank everyone for the input and the interesting side conversations too, all helpful :)

We are leaving in a week and have decided to use USA Transfers since there will be 3 adults and 3 kids it's more cost effective, and we'll probably use them to stop at Walmart so we don't have to go back out right away.

They now provide AI option but it's not worth it for us since only two of us drink plus menu items are not available... and the cost is high, so we're going to go with some meals back at the room when possible and bring a couple bottles of liquor for the week to make some of our own drinks.

Looks like there is a lot to do and a lot to eat, we're going to stop at a respectable bank and get pesos for the week as well, question/clarification... is it JUST he ATM fee you are paying, does it depend on the amount requested or does it just depend on the bank?

Thanks again, countdown to relaxation. :banana:

Gary

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
question/clarification... is it JUST he ATM fee you are paying, does it depend on the amount requested or does it just depend on the bank?

If you are using a debit card, it's just $1.50 for your bank, 1.5% foreign transaction fee, and about 20 pesos ($1.50ish) to the Mexican bank. When you stop at WalMart, you can get some extra pesos above the grocery price when you use your debit card, for no cost. I don't know what their limit is, but ask. It may be as much as 500-600 pesos ($40-50)

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Looks like there is a lot to do and a lot to eat, we're going to stop at a respectable bank and get pesos for the week as well, question/clarification... is it JUST he ATM fee you are paying, does it depend on the amount requested or does it just depend on the bank?

Gary

Your fees may vary at your bank. We took pesos out at the Scotiabank near La Isla and there was a 29peso fee to Scotiabank. Our bank charges us $1.75 foreign ATM fee. Though we will have that reimbursed come our statement period due to our checking relationship account.

There is also a foreign exchange fee. But that was baked in to the amount we withdrew, not a separate fee. I figured it out and our exchange rate was about 12.65 where our credit card here has been getting us better than 12.8.

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
This will not be our first time in Cancun, but am looking for any advice on which Royal resort to stay. We've been to Lagunamar twice, and the Westin but were trading through II and want to try someplace new. I really like how calm the water looks in front of the Royal Cancun, but like the resort itself at the Sands.

Don't really mind the AI, we're not very adventurous in finding local restaurants, prefer to stay in the HZ. That being said... Other Resorts in Cancun that you would recommend would be appreciated too. Just 2 adults. And this will be a total rest and relaxation vacation next June. Thanks

Lee

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
This will not be our first time in Cancun, but am looking for any advice on which Royal resort to stay. We've been to Lagunamar twice, and the Westin but were trading through II and want to try someplace new. I really like how calm the water looks in front of the Royal Cancun, but like the resort itself at the Sands.

Don't really mind the AI, we're not very adventurous in finding local restaurants, prefer to stay in the HZ. That being said... Other Resorts in Cancun that you would recommend would be appreciated too. Just 2 adults. And this will be a total rest and relaxation vacation next June. Thanks

Lee

No surprise that I'll strongly recommend either the Royal Caribbean or Royal Islander. They are interconnected, so it's kind of like the two phases of the Sands. In contrast to the Sands, there is no AI, and the resorts are quieter and somehow seem more personal. Pools are huge at the RC, big at the RI, curvy in both cases which I feel makes a difference in terms of more comfy and if you want semi-private seating areas, as opposed to chairs all lined up at the Sands. Beach is great - similar to Sands. The calm water at the Royal Cancun is lovely for shallow wading - great for little kids - but from my limited experience there, that's about it.

Beach at Sands, Caribbean, and islander is wide and sand is soft; waves vary. Generally you can walk out for quite a way and still be waist or shoulder deep, and it's not particularly rough. Waves will generally just kind of wash by, and for the few slightly bigger ones, I just do a quick jump.

Four restaurants on-site, and Captain's Cove across the street. Our favorites are Pacos Tacos at the RI and the Express Take-out at the RC, and of course pool and beach service.

It makes absolutely no difference which you reserve; Only the decor differs, but no matter where you sleep, you have use of both resorts and have an ocean view (or are ocean front) in all villas.

Last edited:

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to the Royal Islander the first of June, anything we should know in addition to what is already in this thread? There are four of us, but one daughter, middle age, is coming in at a later time than the 3 of us.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to the Royal Islander the first of June, anything we should know in addition to what is already in this thread? There are four of us, but one daughter, middle age, is coming in at a later time than the 3 of us.

What, specifically, would you like to know? :confused:

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
There has been a lot of good information already provided, just wondering if there is anything I should know about Royal Islander? Thinking of using Entertainment Plus for Airport Transportation and Tours. Is there anyplace to do Scuba? We will have our 13 year old granddaughter with us, any recommendations?

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
There has been a lot of good information already provided, just wondering if there is anything I should know about Royal Islander? Thinking of using Entertainment Plus for Airport Transportation and Tours. Is there anyplace to do Scuba? We will have our 13 year old granddaughter with us, any recommendations?

Royal Islander employs the hardest working, nicest person of any of the royals. His name is Wilfredo Pech Ucan, or El Caballo to his friends. SCUBA really is nothing to get excited about around Cancun. Head south for decent diving. Cozumel offers terrific diving.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're welcome, hefleycatz :)

riverdees05, Though E+ (AKA USA Transfers) and Cancun Valet are excellent, they do only private van transport. Thomas More does shared transport as well as private; the shared is less expensive for just a few people. However, check out the E+ website for a cheaper private option for a small group. It's supposedly a car, but will really be the same big van that bigger groups get.

Advice re the Islander, DO use the facilities at the RC as well. IMHO, the best restaurant in town is the terrace of your own villa, overlooking the Caribbean Sea. For a no-fuss dinner, wander over to the RC's restaurant, Tradewinds, and on the Islander side of Tradewinds, go into the Express and get some ribs or a roast chicken, Mexican Rice, salad, etc. They'll also deliver free (tip of course).

There's a pool volleyball net set up on the far side of the RC's pools; it's teen and young-adult central. Get a ball from the Sports Desk at the RC (near the RC kiddie pool), wander over, and you'll soon have a group for an informal game.

Bring LOTS of sunscreen.

jbuzzy11

TUG Member
Reaction score

Lee

Lee, you can't go wrong with any Royal resort. My family discover the royal Cancun in the past 4 years after going to the royals for well over 25 trips.. If you like quiet this should be the #1 choice, we loved it so much we purchased a unit (resale always) it's just has a different feeling then the other resorts.

X-ring

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lee, you can't go wrong with any Royal resort. My family discover the royal Cancun in the past 4 years after going to the royals for well over 25 trips.. If you like quiet this should be the #1 choice, we loved it so much we purchased a unit (resale always) it's just has a different feeling then the other resorts.

Had the exact same experience and took the exact same action. Too bad it took us so long to catch on - but better late than never!

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
No surprise that I'll strongly recommend either the Royal Caribbean or Royal Islander. They are interconnected, so it's kind of like the two phases of the Sands..

Yay!! Just got my confirmation for June for the RC!! Question Unit assignment say F420 which looks like ground level? Is it on the ground or 4 floors up, just first level of rooms Really don't like ground level. What are the chances of getting a higher room. Call beforehand, or ask at check-in? Super excited!!!!!:cheer::banana::cheer::banana:

lee

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yay!! Just got my confirmation for June for the RC!! Question Unit assignment say F420 which looks like ground level? Is it on the ground or 4 floors up, just first level of rooms Really don't like ground level. What are the chances of getting a higher room. Call beforehand, or ask at check-in? Super excited!!!!!:cheer::banana::cheer::banana:

lee

Yes, it's ground level. You can view the layout on the rr's website. You can try for a different villa, but since these are fixed unit/fixed week, you may have some difficulty. Worth a try since you don't like ground level (We don't either - patio doors remain open from the time we check in to check out. Don't wish to worry about a lost burracho stumbling in during the middle of the night, or folks peeking in during the day ;)

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score

lee

Email RecepcionRC@RoyalResorts.com a week or two before. You should get the front desk manager, Sr. Chi, unless he has moved elsewhere. Explain your concern about ground floor (kids getting out or noise or privacy or whatever) and ask if possible for a villa that is not ground floor.

If you do not hear back in a day, email again. Sometimes emails get lost in the shuffle.

They have only the specific villas that were deposited by their owners to choose from, but since ground floor is very popular, my guess is that he will be able to swap your location perhaps to meet someone else's request.

I believe they make the final (or close to final) villa assignments the Wednesday before occupancy, so contacting him a week or at most two weeks ahead is the best timing.

Pj

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Email RecepcionRC@RoyalResorts.com a week or two before. You should get the front desk manager, Sr. Chi, unless he has moved elsewhere. Explain your concern about ground floor (kids getting out or noise or privacy or whatever) and ask if possible for a villa that is not ground floor.

If you do not hear back in a day, email again. Sometimes emails get lost in the shuffle.

They have only the specific villas that were deposited by their owners to choose from, but since ground floor is very popular, my guess is that he will be able to swap your location perhaps to meet someone else's request.

I believe they make the final (or close to final) villa assignments the Wednesday before occupancy, so contacting him a week or at most two weeks ahead is the best timing.

Pj

I agree with PJ, although I don't see any harm in contacting them immediately. Early bird....

You can always contact them again if you don't hear back.

If you learn sooner vs. later that you were able to acquire a different villa, one less thing to think about, pre-vacation.

Oh, the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with PJ, although I don't see any harm in contacting them immediately. Early bird....

You can always contact them again if you don't hear back.

If you learn sooner vs. later that you were able to acquire a different villa, one less thing to think about, pre-vacation.

Oh, the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

You're right, there's no harm in contacting them early. The II inventory changes frequently so there may or may not be alternative villa locations months ahead. They don't do the final assignments till the week of. That being said, I forgot to say that Lee should ask that a note be put into the file saying that the new villa (if there is to be a new one) not be reassigned to someone else, so Lee doesn't find on arrival that the villa assignment has changed back to the original.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're right, there's no harm in contacting them early. The II inventory changes frequently so there may or may not be alternative villa locations months ahead. They don't do the final assignments till the week of. That being said, I forgot to say that Lee should ask that a note be put into the file saying that the new villa (if there is to be a new one) not be reassigned to someone else, so Lee doesn't find on arrival that the villa assignment has changed back to the original.

A note in the file? Don't you mean they should chisel it into their stone tablet? :D

Hey! C'mon, smile!! It's Friday, and we're both breathing air. That's a good thing!!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
A note in the file? Don't you mean they should chisel it into their stone tablet? :D

Hey! C'mon, smile!! It's Friday, and we're both breathing air. That's a good thing!!

LOL, that's how they explained it to me. The front desk calls the "inventory department" which has a list of II's "matches". The matches are not = to the final assignments, though they typically end up that way. Matches are a list of links between names of exchangers and deposited villas, to be sure everyone has been matched with a villa. From there, they evaluate maintenance issues, special requests, and possibly other factors, and determine the final assignments. The "note in the file" is entered in that list on the computer, i.e., pj needs this unit, don't reassign.

Sooo....when Lee emails saying no ground floor please, they may be able to swap F420 with someone else's "match", and then annotate the file so Lee doesn't get swapped out of that back into ground floor again.