• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Club Regina Cabo cancelled? [RCI Exchange] [merged]

kathyj0205

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got an email from RCI saying that my January 4 reservation for Mexico has been cancelled. Of course, I immediately called RCI, who had no record of it being cancelled. However, they did say that all reservations at Club Regina had been cancelled thru December 31st. I confirmed this with CR's website. Now I am in a quandary. I have airline and car, as well as 2 more weeks at Hacienda del mar in Cabo for the following 2 weeks. What to do, what to do.

Kathy

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
RCI Cancellation notice - True or False? (Re: upcoming Cabo trip)

I just received this in my inbox. I called RCI and the rep told me that this doesn't mean that our trip is really cancelled - it just could be cancelled. The trip still shows as confirmed on the website. Has anyone else ever received anything like this from RCI? Should I trust the RCI rep who says that we're good to go or the email that says the trip is cancelled?

Note: The resort website says that they will reopen on Jan 1. We are supposed to travel the following week.

"Dear RCI Member:

We are writing to you about your upcoming vacation in Mexico. The area to which you are scheduled to travel has been severely impacted by Hurricane Odile. Unfortunately, RCI must cancel your confirmed vacation.

If this is a Weeks Exchange, the deposit used for this confirmation has been returned to your account and will be available for use through the original expiartion date. If this is a Points Reservation, your points will be available through the original Use Year. The fee used for this vacation has been posted in the form of a coupon on your account good through December 31, 2014."

(lol - thanks for the coupon that would expire before the beginning of our scheduled trip).

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Check with the resort to see if they are cancelling from their end.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to contact the resort directly and get the necessary info directly from them as well as a confirmation number and the name of the person who tells you? Is has little weight when a difference occurs to say 'RCI told me....' or 'The resort said....'

I'm sure it will be resolved by departure time, but that doesn't help you sleep soundly.

Jim

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I could only find the number for Club Regina and they tell me not to worry. :eek:

The adjacent hotel (Westin) is closed until March. I am worried that Club Regina's timeline is optimistic. I have trip insurance so I am covered. My friends who are joining us don't have trip insurance. Otherwise I would just reschedule.

Joannelitt2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deleted--advertising is not permitted in the discussion forum. Ads should be placed in the TUG Marketplace.

Last edited by a moderator:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The November Raintree Club newsletter says that the damage assessment and repairs are on-going, that no date for reopening the resort has been set, and that all reservations through Dec. 31 have been cancelled.

IMO - I would not be the least surprised if the opening date got pushed back. The most optimistic, and likely, scenario would have them completing enough repairs to reopen a small portion of the report by Dec. 31, while repairs are on-going in other parts of the resort.

I also wouldn't be the least surprised if repairs to the first rooms to be opened are hurriedly done and temporary, with those rooms being re-repaired in short order after the rest of the resort opens.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, I bailed this morning and rebooked somewhere else. The Westin (adjacent to Club Regina) isn't opening until March, neither is the Grand Mayan. Perhaps Club Regina fared better than those two resorts, but I didn't want to worry about finding alternate lodging at the last minute.

FYI, initially I was going to book two hotel rooms that we could cancel if our Club Regina reservations came through but I suffered a bit of sticker shock. Nightly rates for comparable resorts were $250 - $400 per night, per room. :eek: I imagine that they are trying to make up for lost revenue, but wow. So I booked two units through II - one a Getaway one bedroom at Villa del Palmar, and a VDP studio that I was able to get with an xyz. Total cost was about the same as our CL unit. I had to eat $246 on the cancellation, but decided it was worth peace of mind. I also had to change our flights - but Alaska came through and didn't charge us anything.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We were supposed to be at the Grand Mayan in January. I called direct to find out they wouldn't be open. They hadn't contact the exchange companies so I guess they were just going to leave everyone hanging. :annoyed:

We are going to Cancun instead. It's not the same trip we had in mind but a warm sunny substitute.

Deb

kathyj0205

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for alternatives, and not finding any I like, and then I just got a call from RCI (shocker! - I almost didn't answer!) They were calling to tell me that Club Regina would definitely be open, and that the resort was eagerly awaiting the arrival of guests. And that the email I had previously received was sent in error. Looks like I may be able to sleep again without hitting the Nyquil. Yeah!!!!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for alternatives, and not finding any I like, and then I just got a call from RCI (shocker! - I almost didn't answer!) They were calling to tell me that Club Regina would definitely be open, and that the resort was eagerly awaiting the arrival of guests. And that the email I had previously received was sent in error. Looks like I may be able to sleep again without hitting the Nyquil. Yeah!!!!

Announcement from Club Regina/Raintree today that they have received bids from contractors, and the work is going to take longer than anticipated. All reservations through the end of February 2015 have been cancelled.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the update. Sad news but not unexpected.

Since I already cancelled I didn't receive anything from RCI. I'm curious to see what their response is now. Are they relocating customers or refunding exchange fees/getaway charges?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thanks for the update. Sad news but not unexpected.

Since I already cancelled I didn't receive anything from RCI. I'm curious to see what their response is now. Are they relocating customers or refunding exchange fees/getaway charges?

I heard II was offering a non grid AC for a replacement week good for one year if your Cabo resort was closed and you used a deposit. No refund of exchange fees and the AC would require another exchange fee. If you used an AC or an xyz (bonus week), you received nothing. If you had a getaway even a pricier one ($500+), you received nothing just an apology and a suggestion to buy trip insurance as the cancellations fall under act of God that II does not have control over and per the terms and conditions no refunds are applicable.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I heard II was offering a non grid AC for a replacement week good for one year if your Cabo resort was closed and you used a deposit. No refund of exchange fees and the AC would require another exchange fee. If you used an AC or an xyz (bonus week), you received nothing. If you had a getaway even a pricier one ($500+), you received nothing just an apology and a suggestion to buy trip insurance as the cancellations fall under act of God that II does not have control over and per the terms and conditions no refunds are applicable.

Interesting. Noted for the future!

When I spoke to an RCI rep a couple of weeks ago she indicated that they had relocated all of their Grand Mayan clients. I found that a bit hard to believe, logistically if nothing else. I hope that everyone is able to find alternative lodging at this late date.

kathyj0205

TUG Member
Reaction score
And of course they make the announcement on the weekend that RCI is down. GRRRRR!!!!

Bill4728

Reaction score
Diamond's cabo azul was scheduled to be closed thru Jan

Now it is closed till July!

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were supposed to be at the Grand Mayan in January. I called direct to find out they wouldn't be open. They hadn't contact the exchange companies so I guess they were just going to leave everyone hanging. :annoyed:

We are going to Cancun instead. It's not the same trip we had in mind but a warm sunny substitute.

Deb

We just returned from the Grand Luxxe in MR. We went through their sales presentation and the sales person said that their Cabo property WAS NOT DAMAGED from the hurricane. She said they were open. I guess it's another lie from their sales staff!

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We just returned from the Grand Luxxe in MR. We went through their sales presentation and the sales person said that their Cabo property WAS NOT DAMAGED from the hurricane. She said they were open. I guess it's another lie from their sales staff!

Yeah... I've seen the pictures. It was in pretty bad shape. Someone is "confused".

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Posted today on their facebook page:

"Hurricane Odile update: Having completed our work with the Insurance Adjuster we can now begin rebuilding the resort. Currently, we hope Club Regina Los Cabos will be re-opened by September, 2015. As such, all bookings through September 1st, 2015 will be canceled. While the resort is closed, we will work hard to repair all damages and restore all the amenities and services you deserve as a guest at Club Regina Los Cabos.
If you are a Raintree Vacation Club Member and you have questions about an upcoming Club Regina Los Cabos reservation, please contact a Raintree Vacation Guide at 1.800.424.6532 or locally at 317.805.9167.
If you have an upcoming rental reservation at Club Regina Los Cabos that you did not book directly with Raintree, please contact the vendor through which you originally booked."

Wow. That is a long time to be closed. My heart goes out to all affected by the damage caused by Odile, especially the employees. It's unfortunate that it was so difficult to get an answer from anyone at the resort during this time when it had to be obvious that reservations would not be able to be honored.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Posted today on their facebook page:

"Hurricane Odile update: Having completed our work with the Insurance Adjuster we can now begin rebuilding the resort. Currently, we hope Club Regina Los Cabos will be re-opened by September, 2015. As such, all bookings through September 1st, 2015 will be canceled. While the resort is closed, we will work hard to repair all damages and restore all the amenities and services you deserve as a guest at Club Regina Los Cabos.
If you are a Raintree Vacation Club Member and you have questions about an upcoming Club Regina Los Cabos reservation, please contact a Raintree Vacation Guide at 1.800.424.6532 or locally at 317.805.9167.
If you have an upcoming rental reservation at Club Regina Los Cabos that you did not book directly with Raintree, please contact the vendor through which you originally booked."

Wow. That is a long time to be closed. My heart goes out to all affected by the damage caused by Odile, especially the employees. It's unfortunate that it was so difficult to get an answer from anyone at the resort during this time when it had to be obvious that reservations would not be able to be honored.
No surprise at all. As if anyone needed more evidence of the ineptitude of the Raintree management team.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
No surprise at all. As if anyone needed more evidence of the ineptitude of the Raintree management team.

+1 on that! RVC put Club Regina and Grand Regina under the same insurance policy with a $5 million deductible and $10 million max limit for named storm damage, which won't come anywhere close to covering the costs of rebuilding.

Raintree members of EVERY resort in the system will be expected to pay their "fair share" to cover the excess expenses to repair Grand Regina and Club Regina. RVC has already sent a letter out, saying it will cost about $200 per member.