• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Playa de Carmen or Acapulco

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my deposits in SFX is going to expire and I was trying to find a nice place for my son and his wife to spend a week. There is the Grand Mayan Acapulco in February or Grand Mayan riveriera Maya in April?

Both places look nice but I am concerned about safety. Which location is safer? I have only been to Mazatlan many years ago and loved it but wouldnt consider that city and I have been to Cancun at the Royals about 5 years ago. If I could get them in the Royals I would do that first. When we stayed at the Royals there was a conciere on location and they booked all the excursions, etc Do they have that at the Grand Mayans? I suggested that they didnt rent a car and they took taxis, which service should they use. Any information would be helpful.

saywhat

Reaction score
One of my deposits in SFX is going to expire and I was trying to find a nice place for my son and his wife to spend a week. There is the Grand Mayan Acapulco in February or Grand Mayan riveriera Maya in April?

Both places look nice but I am concerned about safety. Which location is safer? I have only been to Mazatlan many years ago and loved it but wouldnt consider that city and I have been to Cancun at the Royals about 5 years ago. If I could get them in the Royals I would do that first. When we stayed at the Royals there was a conciere on location and they booked all the excursions, etc Do they have that at the Grand Mayans? I suggested that they didnt rent a car and they took taxis, which service should they use. Any information would be helpful.

You're right about safety in Acapulco, if you're just going to stay within the resort in Aca....you'll be fine and love it. But it's just too unstable. Too many desperate situations. Playa is safe just pay attention.

The RM would be a better call, much more to do. Just stay away from the sales Skallywags.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think PDC is so Americanized that they will lose track of whether they are in Mexico or Florida. Acapulco is more of a city with all that that connotes. If the folks just go on organized tours arranged by the resort, either place would be great. If they want to hit the black light dance clubs down dark alleys at 3:00 a.m. neither place will be safe.

I say that one can be as safe in Mexico as in any other big resort city anywhere in the world. If one seeks trouble, they can find it. If one stays aware of their surroundings, leaves flashy jewelry at home, stays (reasonably) sober, a great time can be had with some of the world's warmest, friendliest people.

Jim

saywhat

Reaction score
I think PDC is so Americanized that they will lose track of whether they are in Mexico or Florida. Acapulco is more of a city with all that that connotes. If the folks just go on organized tours arranged by the resort, either place would be great. If they want to hit the black light dance clubs down dark alleys at 3:00 a.m. neither place will be safe.

I say that one can be as safe in Mexico as in any other big resort city anywhere in the world. If one seeks trouble, they can find it. If one stays aware of their surroundings, leaves flashy jewelry at home, stays (reasonably) sober, a great time can be had with some of the world's warmest, friendliest people.

Jim

Love Acapulco, been going there since the '80's. Haven't been in the last 5 years. Some of my very best friends still live there and they are scared shitless to go out. There simply is no law. It's a shame but it's true and it pains me to say. One of the best place in Mexico is down by Caleta where John Wayne and Frank Sinatra used to hang, so traditional, so Mexican.

But it just ain't safe, and it's the working people who are paying the price. The City Mayor Walton just announced the city is bankrupt. It gonna take a while to stop the spiral. They actually had to shut down the airport for half a day last week due to protesters. Acapulco is just too close to the epicenter of the 43 missing students drama currently playing out.

PDC has definitely lost its charm, but there's Akumal, Tulum, Isla.

Monica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Acapulco...hands down!

I've been going non-stop since 1999. I'm a female, and I still go solo if my hubby can't go. I love Acapulco! And now with the new pool already open at the Mayan Palace Beach and the new pool at the Grand Mayan on fast-track to open by 12/15, it's a no brainer for me.

In the last 5 years, I've still gone, and have absolutely no trouble. I even drive by myself.

The GM is a great place to vacation. And the food is incredible. So much has changed in 5 years! There are a lot of places to eat out in the Diamonte area where the GM is. We also like to go to the mall, La Isla, and eat there, too. Hec, we've even gone to the movies there (cheap compared to Houston). The complex is opening up new restaurants, too. We like going into town for the day, and then eat at the resort for dinner and in the Diamonte area. In February, it'll be packed. The beach is incredible there. And Acapulco is far enough south, that the ocean water is swimmable. I've stayed at both Acapulco (probably around 30 times) and the RM. It's so easy to get to the pools and the beach at the Acapulco location....just walk out the door!

I could go on and on about Acapulco. I beleive the American press has made mountains out of molehills and greatly exagerrated the situation in Gro. There is trouble in Gro, but some people make it seem like it's Dodge City in the 1800's which it is not! Just use common sense and don't hang out in the slums or with questionable persons.

As usual, this is my 2 cents worth, but viva Acapulco! We're headed back starting May 15, and can hardly wait!

saywhat

Reaction score
I've been going non-stop since 1999. I'm a female, and I still go solo if my hubby can't go. I love Acapulco! And now with the new pool already open at the Mayan Palace Beach and the new pool at the Grand Mayan on fast-track to open by 12/15, it's a no brainer for me.

In the last 5 years, I've still gone, and have absolutely no trouble. I even drive by myself.

The GM is a great place to vacation. And the food is incredible. So much has changed in 5 years! There are a lot of places to eat out in the Diamonte area where the GM is. We also like to go to the mall, La Isla, and eat there, too. Hec, we've even gone to the movies there (cheap compared to Houston). The complex is opening up new restaurants, too. We like going into town for the day, and then eat at the resort for dinner and in the Diamonte area. In February, it'll be packed. The beach is incredible there. And Acapulco is far enough south, that the ocean water is swimmable. I've stayed at both Acapulco (probably around 30 times) and the RM. It's so easy to get to the pools and the beach at the Acapulco location....just walk out the door!

I could go on and on about Acapulco. I beleive the American press has made mountains out of molehills and greatly exagerrated the situation in Gro. There is trouble in Gro, but some people make it seem like it's Dodge City in the 1800's which it is not! Just use common sense and don't hang out in the slums or with questionable persons.

As usual, this is my 2 cents worth, but viva Acapulco! We're headed back starting May 15, and can hardly wait!

Calling 43 student who have likely been incinerated a mole hill is offensive Monica. What's going on there is real. I consider Aca my Mexican home but it's going in the wrong direction.

The city was supposed to be at 80% this week, it's 20%. If you've been going there that long, call your friends who live there and ask them. People are freaking out because there's no National tourist which is Aca's lifeblood. And the gov't is broke. Cops, firemen, garbagemen ect...aren't getting paid. They asked Mexico City to Federalize the state police because they're rotten to the core .......and it was declined. In working class areas as well as the Costera it's not advisable to be out after dark. For those who don't know the Governor resigned a couple weeks ago.

Good bless the good people in Acapulco.

Harvey and Lin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe Monica said anything like this:

"Calling 43 student who have likely been incinerated a mole hill is offensive Monica. What's going on there is real. I consider Aca my Mexican home but it's going in the wrong direction."

IMHO you have misquoted her just like the press would do!

Monica

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe Monica said anything like this:

"Calling 43 student who have likely been incinerated a mole hill is offensive Monica. What's going on there is real. I consider Aca my Mexican home but it's going in the wrong direction."

IMHO you have misquoted her just like the press would do!

Thank you, Harvey and Lin. :D

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
My suggestion to the OP is to research these destinations yourself away from sites that will obviously relate their biases.

Although this one is an easy call, I won't offer my opinion on the matter, because I'm biased ;)

Seriously, where there's smoke, there's fire. Research them both, and look at the facts.

Government site is a start: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html[/QUOTE

Thank you for the link. We decided on PDC. Now I need to know how people get from the airport to the resort and how do they book excursions at that location. While we were at the Royals and went on one or at least 2 excursions one of our stops to pick up people was at this resort. That again was at least 5 years ago.

saywhat

Reaction score
My suggestion to the OP is to research these destinations yourself away from sites that will obviously relate their biases.

Although this one is an easy call, I won't offer my opinion on the matter, because I'm biased ;)

Seriously, where there's smoke, there's fire. Research them both, and look at the facts.

Government site is a start: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html[/QUOTE

Thank you for the link. We decided on PDC. Now I need to know how people get from the airport to the resort and how do they book excursions at that location. While we were at the Royals and went on one or at least 2 excursions one of our stops to pick up people was at this resort. That again was at least 5 years ago.

Yes thanks for the link.

Call Vida 800 292 9446 They will give you the options on getting to the resort. If your gonna be on the move a lot rent a car (for home). And don't use the timeshare promoters OPC's to get tours on the cheap. You'll waste a ton of time.

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes thanks for the link.

Call Vida 800 292 9446 They will give you the options on getting to the resort. If your gonna be on the move a lot rent a car (for home). And don't use the timeshare promoters OPC's to get tours on the cheap. You'll waste a ton of time.

Ive never rented a car while visiting Mexico. Is it safe to rent a car in this area. Do they have shuttles to get you to and from Walmart, etc. if they should decide to make some of thier meals.

I would think they would want to go to Tulum, maybe Chichen Itza (not as much fun when you could climb the ruins) Xcaret maybe some snorkeling close by or over to Cozumel. How do they go about doing that?

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score

I would suggest USA Transfers for your airport transfers. Outstanding reputation, and competitive pricing. We don't use anyone else. http://www.usa-transfers.com/

For excursions, you can also use USA Transfers, their Entertainment Plus: http://www.entertainment-plus.net/affiliates/default.asp?affid=1082

If you want your own wheels, and have never rented in this region before, brush up on my Driving in Mexico 101 tips, re posted here for your convenience:

Driving in Mexico 101 2014
#1 Research la mordida, know what it is, and how not to become a participant. There are entire web sites devoted to this one topic alone. Print this copy of Articulo 152 (Article 152), and have it with you in the car. I keep mine on the dash. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dstmm5mxpsllzp0/Articulo 152 Color Gringo version.pdf?dl=0

#2. Secure full insurance through rental agency. Your credit card insurance or any other insurance from home isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. (You’re in Mexico now, and in the event of trouble, reimbursement after you return home should NOT be your objective. Getting back home should be). Take photos of the vehicle, and point out any dings/damage to the rental agent before you sign off for the vehicle, ensuring they’re marked on their vehicle diagram. Don’t forget your copy of this.

#3. Check the spare tire to ensure it’s inflated, and that the jack & tire iron are included.

#4. Check the tires carefully, esp. the fronts. Gringos hitting the topes too fast are common, causing pinch damage to the sidewalls. Look for embedded nails, etc. Be prepared to refuse the vehicle, obviously.

#5. Buckle your seat belt.

#6. Obey ALL traffic laws.

#7. Do not keep up with traffic, since the vast majority are speeding. *Here's where most people fail*

#8. Do not think you can blend in with local traffic, your rental car is a marked target and is easily spotted by policia. Quiz: Do you know what this obvious mark is? See, time to do some homework.

#9. Move all of your money to a money belt. Keep little/none in your wallet. This goes for your passengers also.

#10. Have a spotter with good eyesight in the front passenger seat helping you spot the ever changing speed limit signs. Obey all of them. Watching for topes is secondary to spotting speed limits.

#11. Stay in the right lane at all times. You will be passed on your left like you're standing still. Pay no attention to them - they're locals. They're also gringos that haven't a clue, and you may see a few later up the road pulled over by the policia.

#12. If you followed # 1-11 above, it is highly unlikely that you will be pulled over, since tourists with their marked rental cars trying to blend in with traffic and thus speeding are so prevalent, they are easy pickins for the policia. I firmly believe police DO NOT pull over someone that is obeying all traffic laws.

#13. In the unlikely event that you are pulled over because you didn't follow these steps, or missed a speed limit change, DO NOT PAY A BRIBE TO THE OFFICER. Doing so is illegal, and you are then just as guilty paying a bribe as the officer is asking for one. You are also perpetuating the problem of la mordida. Stand your ground, politely, and ask for the ticket. Or, ask the officer to take you to the police station to pay it. Hand the officer your Articulo 152. At that point, the officer will undoubtedly let you go, and go for an easier target. Likewise, if you WERE speeding, ask for the ticket, and pay it at the police station. Tell the officer you will follow them to the police station to pay the fine. Claiming you don’t have time because you were on your way to the airport is no excuse.

#14. Do not give the officer your license until you have written down his name and badge number. You can communicate these points easily enough even if you don't speak Spanish.

#15. When filling up, get out of the vehicle, check to see the pump has been zeroed out, then tell the attendant how much fuel you want. Watch the pump for the correct amount. Pay attention!

These tips are from driving the area for over 22 years, and collected from my own research and experience. I have never been pulled over, and firmly believe that those that claim they were pulled over "for no reason" are simply mistaken, missed the speed limit change, or unwilling to admit they made a mistake. Good luck, and do a little homework. It's nice to have the freedom of your own wheels.

Monica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have your rental papers with you

We drove last November from the Cancun area to Chitchenitza via the toll road. Right as we paid the toll and start on down the road, the Federales pulled me over. I've been stopped a few times before (never have paid a bribe either as I believe it just perpetuates a problem). He wanted to see my car rental papers. This was the only time I've ever kept the papers with me, so I didn't have a worry. Later I found out that car rental theft is a big problem, so perhaps that's why I got pulled over. Anyway, he looked at them, my DL (if worse comes to worse, let them keep it anyway....passport is what you need to get home), nodded, and let me move on. If you drive, be careful to slow down at the topes or you might tear off the bottom of your car!

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
We drove last November from the Cancun area to Chitchenitza via the toll road. Right as we paid the toll and start on down the road, the Federales pulled me over. I've been stopped a few times before (never have paid a bribe either as I believe it just perpetuates a problem). He wanted to see my car rental papers. This was the only time I've ever kept the papers with me, so I didn't have a worry. Later I found out that car rental theft is a big problem, so perhaps that's why I got pulled over. Anyway, he looked at them, my DL (if worse comes to worse, let them keep it anyway....passport is what you need to get home), nodded, and let me move on. If you drive, be careful to slow down at the topes or you might tear off the bottom of your car!

This is a very good point. Chances are, when the officer sees you're wise to the la mordida thing, they'll return it anyway. In your case, it appears you weren't even being subjected to la mordida. Not all of the cops are corrupt, of course. It only takes a few bad apples...

Last edited:

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A year and a half ago I rented a car in this area. It is an easy area to drive since they have turn around areas if you miss your exit. To me the only stressful part was Playa del Carmen and I just parked a way from the main street and walked. I had Phydeaux' rules with me and a copy of something similar in Spanish in case I was pulled over. I had no problems and loved being able to go to the smaller towns.

Joan