• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scam alert ["hearing impaired" buyer]

tmccurley123

Reaction score
I want to make everyone aware of a lady going by Cynthia Laropoli email cclaropoli@gmail.com. she is posing as a buyer and hearing impaired. She states she wants to use "Timeshare Title Inc.."
Now this title company iS legitimate and with further digging, found that she already scammed the title company and is still trying again. She over pays the title company. Then asks for a refund of overpayment. They refund and give her your timeshare title and then realize the check was bad and is out everything along with the overage money. I gave that person a word or two. She now has my name and could possibly use it but hopefully we all go through one another and move carefully. It hurts us all. Now I could have trouble trying to sell my timeshare. Just want to make everyone aware. Thanks.
Tamara Metzger

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We have been hearing about this scam for about a year - this person uses numerous names, and uses the "hearing impaired" claim to avoid talking on the phone. It's too bad you didn't ask about this buyer here on TUG. Whenever you get an offer that sounds fishy, vet it here first.

Last edited:

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scammers from outside the US have been taking advantage of TTY service or Internet Protocol Relay service for the hearing and speech impaired for a few years now. Our business received a call a couple years ago from someone using the scam saying they needed to place a big order for a brother's birthday. The caller was more excited about getting payment to us than details of his brother's birthday so we knew that was a huge red flag. It's so disappointing to see how low people will go to scam other people - and worst of all, make businesses suspicious of legitimate customers who are hearing impaired.
Here's an article: http://www.disabled-world.com/editorials/tty-scam.php. Wishing you good luck with your selling your timeshare.

truthmission

Reaction score
Cynthia Laropoli's associate, Jon Boas

After hearing that the hearing-impaired Ms. Laropoli was going to be working through a broker, this is what I got from the broker. (No checks have arrived yet, though they were supposedly sent a month ago.)

Sorry for my delay in getting in touch with you as I have been away from home and just had access to my email. I was instructed to contact you by my client Ms Cynthia Laropoli to arrange the sale and transfer procedures for your timeshares. I am informed that the agreed sales price for your timeshares is $5,500. Ms Laropoli has also informed me that an initial deposit of $500 is already on its way to you along with my fees of $2,400 as soon as funds are deposited and available.

Please note that we shall be making use of Timeshare Title, Inc which is a national title transfer company with licence to effect title transfer in all states. The process which I shall be undertaking is explained clearly in 7 steps as below

1- As soon as I get my fees, I will contact Timeshare Title, Inc to begin the process. When I pay the title transfer and escrow costs, we will be issued with a title transfer agent or contact person who will handle the process. I will provide the contact information of that person so you can be in touch with him or her if you like.

2- Broker(Jon Boas) initiates the closing process with Timeshare Title, Inc, by completing simple online forms.

3- Buyer and seller receives an email from Timeshare Title, Inc (with username and password) requesting that he or she complete the online buyer and seller forms for the timeshare details and verify information.

4- Seller and buyer receive an email that includes the escrow number.

5- Timeshare Title, Inc, prepares and emails escrow instructions, the transfer deed and closing documents to seller and buyer. Seller and buyer review documents, provide necessary signatures, and return documents to Timeshare Title, Inc per instructions.

6- Timeshare Title, Inc emails or faxes an estimated closing statement to the buyer and requests the funds necessary to close escrow. You have the option to verify and confirm that your balance funds have been paid into the escrow account by the buyer.When funds are received, Timeshare Title, Inc, Inc closes the transaction.

7- Timeshare Title, Inc notifies all parties of the closing (including the proper resort management company or HOA), provides funds to the seller, and sends all necessary documentation to both the seller and the buyer.

Please be aware that I am currently in Cairo to attend an international timeshare auction seminar as well as take a vacation and will coordinate the Sale and title transfer from here. This would not affect the closing as my input is minimal. Please answer below questions so I can determine how best to proceed.

1- Do you have a clear title or do you owe on the property? If yes, How much do you owe?

2- Are your maintenance fees up to date? If no, how much is the maintenance fees for 2014?

3- Please provide a phone number and indicate the most convenient time to reach you so I can get in touch with you as soon as I get payment.

Please answer the above questions, when I hear from you, I will provide wire details so you can wire my fees to me upon receipt of the check. When I receive funds, I will proceed immediately. Closing time would take anywhere between 15-20 working days using the expedited option.

I have copied my client on this email so she can follow up accordingly. You can reach me on +201157684709.

Reply soon.

Respectfully,
Jon Boas

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Welcome to tug

After hearing that the hearing-impaired Ms. Laropoli was going to be working through a broker, this is what I got from the broker. (No checks have arrived yet, though they were supposedly sent a month ago.)

Sorry for my delay in getting in touch with you as I have been away from home and just had access to my email. I was instructed to contact you by my client Ms Cynthia Laropoli to arrange the sale and transfer procedures for your timeshares. I am informed that the agreed sales price for your timeshares is $5,500. Ms Laropoli has also informed me that an initial deposit of $500 is already on its way to you along with my fees of $2,400 as soon as funds are deposited and available.

Please note that we shall be making use of Timeshare Title, Inc which is a national title transfer company with licence to effect title transfer in all states. The process which I shall be undertaking is explained clearly in 7 steps as below

1- As soon as I get my fees, I will contact Timeshare Title, Inc to begin the process. When I pay the title transfer and escrow costs, we will be issued with a title transfer agent or contact person who will handle the process. I will provide the contact information of that person so you can be in touch with him or her if you like.

2- Broker(Jon Boas) initiates the closing process with Timeshare Title, Inc, by completing simple online forms.

3- Buyer and seller receives an email from Timeshare Title, Inc (with username and password) requesting that he or she complete the online buyer and seller forms for the timeshare details and verify information.

4- Seller and buyer receive an email that includes the escrow number.

5- Timeshare Title, Inc, prepares and emails escrow instructions, the transfer deed and closing documents to seller and buyer. Seller and buyer review documents, provide necessary signatures, and return documents to Timeshare Title, Inc per instructions.

6- Timeshare Title, Inc emails or faxes an estimated closing statement to the buyer and requests the funds necessary to close escrow. You have the option to verify and confirm that your balance funds have been paid into the escrow account by the buyer.When funds are received, Timeshare Title, Inc, Inc closes the transaction.

7- Timeshare Title, Inc notifies all parties of the closing (including the proper resort management company or HOA), provides funds to the seller, and sends all necessary documentation to both the seller and the buyer.

Please be aware that I am currently in Cairo to attend an international timeshare auction seminar as well as take a vacation and will coordinate the Sale and title transfer from here. This would not affect the closing as my input is minimal. Please answer below questions so I can determine how best to proceed.

1- Do you have a clear title or do you owe on the property? If yes, How much do you owe?

2- Are your maintenance fees up to date? If no, how much is the maintenance fees for 2014?

3- Please provide a phone number and indicate the most convenient time to reach you so I can get in touch with you as soon as I get payment.

Please answer the above questions, when I hear from you, I will provide wire details so you can wire my fees to me upon receipt of the check. When I receive funds, I will proceed immediately. Closing time would take anywhere between 15-20 working days using the expedited option.

I have copied my client on this email so she can follow up accordingly. You can reach me on +201157684709.

Reply soon.

Respectfully,
Jon Boas

you didn't say but I'm assuming that you know that this is a total scam right??

I'm glad you included the whole letter for others to see how this works.

This exact format has been brought up time after time here on TUG.

You will get a check that is totally bogus but you won't know that for a while. You will wire real money and that will be the end of it until they send another letter purporting to help you get money back that you have been scammed out of.

Same procedure, same results. They will continue until you stop sending money.

truthmission

Reaction score
still own my timeshare

Yes, absolutely a scam, and a very well-orchestrated one. . .right up to this point. I responded to "Jon Boas" with the following:

"Oh, you're at the timeshare seminar convention in Cairo? Say hello to my friend Samuel Kaplan.":wave:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely a scam, and a very well-orchestrated one. . .right up to this point. I responded to "Jon Boas" with the following:

"Oh, you're at the timeshare seminar convention in Cairo? Say hello to my friend Samuel Kaplan.":wave:

I've concluded that Cairo is the timeshare capital of the world. Based on these e-mail messages, Cairo has these high-level timeshare conferences about twice per month, all 12 months of the year. Orlando doesn't do anywhere near that level of conferencing,

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
person is definately still alive and well...im going to see if I can block any email with her last name in it or part of it.

but chances are thatll just change.

truthmission

Reaction score
got my check!

The check from Cynthia Laropoli arrived today. $2,900 drawn on TruWest Credit Union. I just filed a phishing/scam report on their website. I'll be following up with some of the other authorities linked here on TUG in various threads. I'm seeing the same thing here that I've read over and over on TUG. Portland, OR postmark, no return address, hand-addressed envelope though (any handwriting analysis experts at the USPS, I wonder?). I wonder how much mileage they're getting out of check #112227?

Glad you folks are here, and glad to be a part of your community.

truthmission

Reaction score
oops!

Oh, look what I didn't catch the first time. . .

As I have been unable to reach Jonathan before my trip, I do not know where and how to get his fees to him. Because I was unable to contact Jonathan to send his brokerage fees, title transfer fees and escrow fees, I visited my bank and got a cashiers check for 2,900 dollars which I have also mailed out to you. Upon receipt, please deposit the check, funds should be available immediately, I would need you to deduct your earnest deposit of 500 dollars, this is to affirm my willingness and seriousness to buy this property and fend off other offers while closing processes are arranged by my broker. Then, forward the balance 2,400 dollars to Jonathan Boas as his fees for your timeshare closing, Timeshare title, Inc. service charges and escrow fees whenever he gets in touch with you. It is my assumption that Samuel will provide additional instructions on how to get the fees to him.

YOU MISSED ONE CYNTHIA!!!

angela72

Reaction score
Cynthia

I am so glad I found this site. I too have a check from Cynthia from TruWest bank with ck #000112227. The whole story sounded fishy. She keeps emailing me asking if I have deposited the check. I was on my way to the bank to have them investigate it... there was no way I was placing it in my account. I keep playing along with her, and giving her excuses as to why I havent deposited it yet.... not sure what to do next.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
not sure what to do next.

Tell her you deposited it. Then next week- or the week after tell her the refund must have gotten lost in the mail. If she persists, give her some bogus 'tracking number' and tell her it's her problem. And 'Thanks for the $500!'

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
TruWest Credit Union

Check number 000112227

Check #000112227

I did a google search of both of these and this thread did not appear. Maybe that will change now to help direct others here.

zeld

TUG Member
Reaction score
check may deposit

I once received a check via FedEx and I determined that the check would successfully deposit as the bank routing and account information were valid. I also learned that the company that the check was drawn on had 6 months to report fraud.

I milked the fraudster for a couple of weeks and then finally said I was uncomfortable with the sale. Since I had deposited the check (not), I had to send a cashiers check back to the fraudster. The fraudster said to send the check to a pub in London. I suspect that the fraudster believed me and their fraud was from London.

Try leading on the fraudster saying that the check is deposited and there is a five day hold on the check. Then after 7 days, give some more excuses. Then eventually say that you need to write a check and ask where to send the check to. Then report the location they provide...

nfurlong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our offer came from "Anne Singer," hearing-impaired in BOTH ears, so she would be using a broker. She would be paying all closing costs and her broker's fees (I was thinking, "What do I care if she pays her broker?,) but was still thinking this could possibly be legit.
She emailed that her broker would be contacting us to give us escrow details and instructions as to what to do next. She would get a $500 check right out to us as soon as we provided information about how we wanted the names on the check and the address where to send the check.
When we emailed back that before we provided any information or waited to hear from her broker, we would like her to tell us if by saying she would be paying all closing fees, she was including the escrow fees.
Anne did not like being questioned. She was probably running up against too many people onto her scam and was feeling a bit frustrated. Her reply to our question:

"My offer is very clear, I will be responsible for all closing, escrow and broker fees. There is no point repeating this over and over again. If and when you want to proceed, let me know.
Thanks."

Yeah, we'll do that!

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This individual has been working this scam for probably about two years now. He/she is more adept than most, most notably in that person appears to speak English almost flawlessly. Good enough that I was initally enticed into thinking that I had a legitimate buyer until the person came out with the hearing impaired bit and would not provide contact information for their broker so that I could actually contact the office to verify that the "brokera" was actually employed by Chicago Title, as the person was alleging.

If I had a drop box mail account set up at a MailBoxesRUs type of location, instead of amn actual physical address, I would have played out the deal longer, particularly focusing on things that would cause him to actually expend money. Such as saying that the check never showed up and asking him to resend the check. If he expresses concern about the timeliness, ask him to send it via FedEx with next day delivery (so that he pays an extra cost) to be sure it gets there. And whatever else you can think of to string him along and make sure that he incurs costs while you incur none.

In my case, I was reluctant to provide a real physical delievery location, as I thought that was incurring too much personal risk.

NRVKyle

Reaction score
Beware the scammer has another name

Beatrice Farmer. Is there any way to track someone through an email address and get them jailed?
Her emails say this:
Just to let you know that I had to travel and will be away from home for the next 6 weeks. I do not know if I have mentioned this before but I have a disability. I was informed by the hospital which I am registered with that a new hearing aid which is supposed to be able to restore 30% of my hearing ability has just been delivered and they would like to test run it with me. This is impromptu so I had to make speedy arrangements. I tried to reach my broker yesterday and today but I got an auto response that he is currently out of the country on business. I have however sent him numerous email messages along with your contact information and expect him to be in touch with you as soon as he receives my messages.

Because I was unable to contact Sam to send his brokerage fees, title transfer fees and escrow fees, I visited my bank and got a cashiers check for $2900 which I have also mailed out to you. Upon receipt, I would need you to deposit the check, funds should be available immediately, I would need you to deduct your Ernest deposit of $500, this is to affirm my willingness and seriousness to buy this property and fend off other offers while closing processes are arranged by my broker. Then, forward the balance $2400 to Mr Sam Avner as his fees for your timeshare closing and escrow charges whenever he gets in touch with you. It is my assumption that Sam will provide additional instructions on how to get the fees to him.

He is my personal broker and would be responsible for all the documentation and deed of transfer. Sam will work with First American title transfer company who would be handling the closing. Please note that the balance for your timeshare would be held in escrow. As soon as Sam gets in touch with you and finalizes the sale, the balance will be released to you before you transfer the title deed. Please notify me as soon as you receive contact from Sam.

Do watch out for any mails to your address and also notify me as soon as you receive my check. Although I am away from home, I would still have access regularly to my email and would be in touch throughout the process.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
The hearing impairment is to eliminate the possibility of communicating by phone/skype etc

The con falls apart in conversation

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Cynthia Laropoli's associate, Jon Boas

seem like this is an on going scam..

just posting to put the persons name in title for google search stuff.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Boas" ? As in snakes ?

:hysterical:

How appropriate.

Thank you for reporting.

-

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The hearing impairment is to eliminate the possibility of communicating by phone/skype etc

It could also be a ploy to try to evoke some sympathy from the owner and not doubt the oh-so-unfortunate alleged buyer.

The big question I have in this scam is: Even if this were a legitimate inquiry and transaction, what exactly did the broker Samuel (or whatever name he goes by) do to earn $2500?:rolleyes:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It could also be a ploy to try to evoke some sympathy from the owner and not doubt the oh-so-unfortunate alleged buyer.

The big question I have in this scam is: Even if this were a legitimate inquiry and transaction, what exactly did the broker Samuel (or whatever name he goes by) do to earn $2500?:rolleyes:

What did he do to earn $2,500....? Simply slick talking to get his hands in your pocket to relieve you of said $2,500 :bawl::bawl:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score

It creates a redirect to deal with the "broker"

Ernie

TUG Member
Reaction score
This really makes me mad being hearing impaired. I wear two hearing aids and it is difficult for me to talk on the phone but not impossible, unless Im talking to someone that uses a microphone like on a headset. I also just received a FREE Captel phone through my audiologist that has a big volume control on it so I can turn it way up or I can use the Caption part of it for free if I register the phone.

Thanks for posting this info about the scammer.