• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Orlando advice needed

mkahanek

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have not posted here in quite some time. The wife and I own at Ko Olina and have gotten good use out of that asset through uptrades etc. However, we now have a three soon to be four year old and a one year old. So our travel habits have changed quite a bit.

That said we are looking at Disney World next may. My question is. What resort (Marriott) would be best for a whole family including grandmothers? I plan on grabbing two two bedrooms if possible. I know there are 3 or 4 or so Marriott's in Orlando, but have no clue which one is best.

Lastly what are my changes of being able to up trade from a 2 bedroom to a 3 within flex once we get within that time period? My small window of travel is May 13-20.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and advice.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Hi all,

I have not posted here in quite some time. The wife and I own at Ko Olina and have gotten good use out of that asset through uptrades etc. However, we now have a three soon to be four year old and a one year old. So our travel habits have changed quite a bit.

That said we are looking at Disney World next may. My question is. What resort (Marriott) would be best for a whole family including grandmothers? I plan on grabbing two two bedrooms if possible. I know there are 3 or 4 or so Marriott's in Orlando, but have no clue which one is best.

Lastly what are my changes of being able to up trade from a 2 bedroom to a 3 within flex once we get within that time period? My small window of travel is May 13-20.

Mark,

We've stayed at Cypress Harbour and Imperial Palms, and really liked both. Cypress Harbour was for a weeks stay and it was well suited as a base camp for Disney properties and for pool time at the end of the day (but it's not a glitzy pool). We traded for two units just before Spring Break, and it was an easy trade for our Worldmark. I think you would uptrade easily and get two 2BR units using your Studio and 1BR Ko Olina, if that is your plan. Cypress Harbour is only 2BR units so you would get them both.

If you want a 3BR, I would consider Imperial Palms. We only stayed for 2 nights, as it was a transition trip to the Disney cruise, but the unit is very big and it is right next to a large Marriott hotel complex that you have access to. Again, well located for Disney properties too, and I think second half of May would be a very easy trade -- perhaps even your Studio trading up for a 3BR, but I am speculating.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Best,

Greg

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Hi all,

Sent you a P email.

dansdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt it has to be Harbour Lake.

I have stayed at Cypress Gardens, Grande Vista and Harbour Lake. And based on the fact that if the kids are happy then the parents are happy Harbour Lake ticks all the boxes.

The Pirate Pool will be perfect for your 4 year old. It also has a small splash zone behind the ship. But there is a bigger splash zone for your 1 year old across the sports field.

Disney is about a 15 minute drive.

The only down side I can think of is Harbour Lake may only have 2 bed units. Hopefully someone else can confirm or deny that.

woody970

Reaction score
My wife and I currently own at Lakeshore Reserve which has 2 bedroom villas and 3 bedroom town homes. The pool is nice with a 0 entry section and a lazy river, however as Michael stated you can't go wrong with any of the marriott properties in Orlando.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
For that age range I second the vote for Harbour Lake. However, you can request Cypress Harbor for each side of your lock-off because they only have 2BR's, so that's a big plus. Cypress and Harbour are across the street from each other, so you could even accept a unit at each property. I'd probably lock off and request Cypress since you need a specific date and want 2 2BR units, and you can't place an on-going request for a 2BR at Harbour with either a studio or 1BR. I'd probably search II after though to see if a Harbour Lake 2BR was available for retrading into.

Harbour Lake and Cypress are only about a mile to Sea World, which has a great ride area for the little ones, and about 10 minutes to the Magic Kingdom parking.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
May is low(er) season, so I would think getting a 2BR for the 1BR would be pretty easy. II devalued studios a while back, so you may not be able to pull a 2BR for using a studio 9-12 months out. You might have to wait until a little closer in to be able to do that.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
May is low(er) season, so I would think getting a 2BR for the 1BR would be pretty easy. II devalued studios a while back, so you may not be able to pull a 2BR for using a studio 9-12 months out. You might have to wait until a little closer in to be able to do that.

I agree with Dioxide that a Studio may not see the 2BR via Instant Exchange, but if you see it with your 1BR, and then put in a Search for the exact date with the Studio, it may match. I've done that before where I couldn't see something with a (Worldmark) deposit that I knew was there from other searches, so I put in the exact week that I know is there and it matched overnight.

Good luck and I hope you get the right property for you!

Best,

Greg

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening...

I say thumbs up for imperial palms... dedicated 3 bedroom units, no lock off...
a hidden gem int he system.. best news, IMPERIAL only has 3 bedroom units so you can request a 3 bedroom with 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom...

For pure excellence Lakeshore 3 bedroom units are close to top of the system..but that will be tough trade...

you might consider also looking at II getaways for Cypress harbor as well..they are usually cheapand available...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
you might consider also looking at II getaways for Cypress harbor as well..they are usually cheapand available...

Never thought about getaways. Probably cheaper to buy two 2BR getaways than the MFs on the Ko'Olina unit.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt it has to be Harbour Lake.

I have stayed at Cypress Gardens, Grande Vista and Harbour Lake. And based on the fact that if the kids are happy then the parents are happy Harbour Lake ticks all the boxes.

The Pirate Pool will be perfect for your 4 year old. It also has a small splash zone behind the ship. But there is a bigger splash zone for your 1 year old across the sports field.

Disney is about a 15 minute drive.

The only down side I can think of is Harbour Lake may only have 2 bed units. Hopefully someone else can confirm or deny that.
We just came back from two weeks at Cypress Harbour and agree with young ones, Harbour Lake would win hands down b/c of the water park and proximity to Seaworld. For the grand parents, Cypress Harbour (directly across the street from HL) would be a nice choice. Activities are plentiful and it has a very laid back atmosphere.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening...

I say thumbs up for imperial palms... dedicated 3 bedroom units, no lock off...
a hidden gem int he system.. best news, IMPERIAL only has 3 bedroom units so you can request a 3 bedroom with 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom...

For pure excellence Lakeshore 3 bedroom units are close to top of the system..but that will be tough trade...

The other advantages of all of the Palms properties is you have total access to the Marriott World Center facilities on property. They are also closest to the Disney parks and easily accessible for mid-day breaks for lunch and the pools. These have been well maintained and the GM is outstanding.

We have owned at Royal Palms for several years and our kids loved it. My daughter enjoyed the elevator through the roof at World Center almost as much as most Disney rides.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the ages of your children, your best bet is Harbour Lake. The children's facilities and pools there are excellent.

It is the smallest of all the Orlando Marriott timeshares, yet it will serve your needs perfectly. The accommodations are not as luxurious as Lakeshore Reserve, but the pools, splash pad, mini golf, fire pit, play area and full slate of family activities more than make up for it.

The room choices there are 2 bedroom lock-offs (and their configurations) and dedicated 2 bedrooms. No three bedrooms except for Lakeshore Reserve townhouse, Grande Vista and the all 3 bedroom Imperial Palms.

If you are going to be in theme park-visiting mode all day long, any of the Marriotts will suit your needs, but if you want to plan lots of down time by the pool, go for Harbor Lake.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening...

This is a TUG historic first.... I thought of something that Dioxide missed... holey moley... this is an incredible night :whoopie::whoopie::whoopie:

will probably take me 2000 more posts to duplicate...

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi all,

Hi,
If you plan to go to disney world pretty often then I would pick Royal palms or imperial palms. They are co-located sharing pools, playgrounds and check in location. They have a shuttle to the Marriott world centre where there are more pools and a new childrens area.
The best thing about the Palms is that they are the closest to disney. With little ones you might like to go back to the villa for the afternoon for naps and it is very easy to get the Royal/Imperial/Sabal palms without any traffic.

I would not pick sabal palms because there are steps in all of the units and the second floor units have 15 stairs to get to the front door.

As others have said, Harbour Lake is great for kids. The pirate ship and the splash area would be great for your kids but if you are planning to do the parks and want to have a mid day break I would pick Imperial palms or Royal palms. They both have very large screened balconies.

The down side to Lakeshore (which I adore) is that the balconies are not screened in and so they are a bit more dangerous for little ones.

We are staying for 3 weeks this Nov/Dec at Imperial Palms. It will be us, our oldest daughter and husband and two children 5 and 2 and our second daughter.
With a king in the master, a queen and a fold out and room for a pack and play in the second bedroom and two twins in the third bedroom I think that it will be great. A unit in Royal palms, if we needed it, would be just in the next building.

Pam

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
If you want two bedroom units, I would pick Sabal Palms for your plans. If you want 3 bedrooms, try for Imperial Palms. I would not choose Royal Palms because it has 2BRs like Sabal but is located much farther from the World Center. If you don't want to walk the 15 steps to the second floor, you can easily be assigned the first floor. Don't be alarmed by the comment about steps in the unit. It is only one or two very small steps down to the living room, not a flight of stairs you can fall down.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Don't be alarmed by the comment about steps in the unit. It is only one or two very small steps down to the living room, not a flight of stairs you can fall down.

Agreed....2 very short steps inside the villas at Sabal..... and you certainly can't beat its proximity (very short walk) to Marriott Orlando World Center pools, restaurants, golf course, etc....as well as the Disney parks. Sabal itself is a nice quiet respite from the hustle and bustle of the parks.

Attachments

• 13193842283_004298154a_z.jpg
    13193842283_004298154a_z.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
So here is my take

First, I have used the studio side of my Shadow Ridge to get 2 bedroom at Harbour Lakes pretty easily, so you should have no problem.
(That includes both instant exchange many months out. I was able to do the same with a late exchange during the flex window.)

For me this is how I view the resorts.

For little kids, Harbour is the one.
The pirate ship wading pool is fun and safe.
Lots of stuff to do (miniature golf) and the location is nice, easy to get to Seaword and Disney too. (this is where we go with the grandkids)
Hold out for two bedroom.

Cypress Harbour is our favorite stay, but it is more quiet and relaxed. Not sure the pools are great for little kids. My College age daughter and my wife like this one as she can gets lots of tanning time without fighting for chairs.
All two bedroom

Grand Vista is very much resort like. Lots of activities and people. If I had teenagers who were looking for friends and fun this is where I would stay.

The Palms are a different animal. The pools are smaller but again not really exciting for little kids. Sabal Palms is nice and quiet. It is a short trip to World Center if you want those restaurants. The big downside is steps. If you are mobile, it is not a big deal. If you have anyone who has trouble it is a huge deal. Plus the inside also has some up and down steps. I imagine you will have a least one spill with kids.

Lake Shore reserves reminds me of Canyon Villas. Really nice timeshares next to fantastic property. Again, gives you that resort feel. This is the only Orlando property I have trouble easily doing an up-trade.

As others have said, no matter where you stay they are all nice.

Not sure if you have enrolled weeks, but Orlando is pretty cheap points wise and we usually spend more than a week there so I will usually add days on either in with points. Also usually gets me a cheaper airfare.

I usually see 3 bedroom with my 1 bedroom side. One thing we did was get a 2 bedroom and a 1 bedroom so either we could get away from kids or Granny could. It was nice having an extra room. I see 1 and 2 bedrooms with my AC, so you can probably do that if you want (using XYZ?)

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
If you want two bedroom units, I would pick Sabal Palms for your plans. If you want 3 bedrooms, try for Imperial Palms. I would not choose Royal Palms because it has 2BRs like Sabal but is located much farther from the World Center. If you don't want to walk the 15 steps to the second floor, you can easily be assigned the first floor. Don't be alarmed by the comment about steps in the unit. It is only one or two very small steps down to the living room, not a flight of stairs you can fall down.

Hi,
As the grandmother of a 5 and 2 year old I know how often newly walking children fall and those two little stairs that are tiled are just waiting for a little one to fall and put a tooth through their lip.
The other thing about Sabal that people should know is that there are also those same steps in the master bedroom between the sleeping area and the bathroom area. Because people were falling they installed small lights by those stairs. For me it makes it too bright in the room. Also, the shower in the master at Sabal is made out of glass block to the outside. It is a lovely shower but it means that the bedroom is not dark. I like to sleep in a dark room so though I love the resort it just isn't for me. When we stayed there for 6 weeks we bought a black shower curtain and a pole and used that to keep the light out.

also of note:
Grand vista has a great indoor climbing structure for little children. It is great and very useful if it is a rainy day. The water play area at the across the lake pool has lots of fun kids things.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
First, I have used the studio side of my Shadow Ridge to get 2 bedroom at Harbour Lakes pretty easily, so you should have no problem.
(That includes both instant exchange many months out. I was able to do the same with a late exchange during the flex window.)

Lots of stuff to do (miniature golf) and the location is nice, easy to get to Seaword and Disney too. (this is where we go with the grandkids)

Cypress Harbour is our favorite stay, but it is more quiet and relaxed. Not sure the pools are great for little kids. My College age daughter and my wife like this one as she can gets lots of tanning time without fighting for chairs.
All two bedroom

Grand Vista is very much resort like. Lots of activities and people. If I had teenagers who were looking for friends and fun this is where I would stay.

The Palms are a different animal. The pools are smaller but again not really exciting for little kids. Sabal Palms is nice and quiet. It is a short trip to World Center if you want those restaurants. The big downside is steps. If you are mobile, it is not a big deal. If you have anyone who has trouble it is a huge deal. Plus the inside also has some up and down steps. I imagine you will have a least one spill with kids.

Lake Shore reserves reminds me of Canyon Villas. Really nice timeshares next to fantastic property. Again, gives you that resort feel. This is the only Orlando property I have trouble easily doing an up-trade.

Not sure if you have enrolled weeks, but Orlando is pretty cheap points wise and we usually spend more than a week there so I will usually add days on either in with points. Also usually gets me a cheaper airfare.

I usually see 3 bedroom with my 1 bedroom side. One thing we did was get a 2 bedroom and a 1 bedroom so either we could get away from kids or Granny could. It was nice having an extra room. I see 1 and 2 bedrooms with my AC, so you can probably do that if you want (using XYZ?)

Thank You
Very nice summary

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel

All two bedroom

EXCELLENT SUMMARY!!!

We have never stayed at Harbour Lake but we would definitely consider if our kids were younger.

Mid May is off season. We love to go to Orlando in May - great weather and lower crowds. Getaways for 2 bedrooms for May are usually very reasonable (have seen $400-500). Getting a 2 bedroom Marriott in May for a platinum studio should not be very difficult, but inventory for instant exchange for 2 bedrooms shows up closer to 5-6 months prior to check in. Consider placing a request for an ongoing search for Cypress Harbour (all 2 bedrooms) and add ePlus so you can retrade for a different resort or a 3 bedroom.

Lakeshore Reserve is our favorite. I have been lucky enough to exchange our platinum studio for a 2 bedroom at Lakeshore a few times. Lakeshore is the furthest Marriott VC from Disney, which may be something to consider if you want to go back to the resort for an afternoon break.

mkahanek

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your valuable input. I will sit with the wife and discuss. It looks like given our parameters that Harbor Lake seems to be the favorite.

As for trading power etc. My 1BR Ko Olina is seeing 1 and 2br units at Grand Vista and other properties already for next may. My studio sees up to a 1BR. I would assume being in low season that the studio would pull a 2br within Flex.

I do see some 3BR at Imperial during flex with both my 1BR and Studio assets.

At this point since our dates are so specific I would probably secure the 2BR I found either at Grand Vista are Harbor and look for a flex opportunity as we close it.

I think I read where I can put in a specific search for a 2BR, but can you do that with a studio? Or can you do it at a 2BR only property but not a lock off capable property. **Update** I just tried to put a request in for Harbor Lake and it looks like I can only request a studio (when yielding a studio). If I called II can they request a 2BR. I accept that I would be lower in the pecking order, but can they actually put the request in that I can't?

Back prior to kids I got all sorts of good trades because I had the time to put in.

I got a 3BR in St. Kitts and Waiohai (2 br of course) for studios. Heck. Even got Aruba Surf Club for an AC. Ahh the days.

Last edited:

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I read where I can put in a specific search for a 2BR, but can you do that with a studio? Or can you do it at a 2BR only property but not a lock off capable property.

that's what posts #2 and 7 were trying to tell you. you cannot specifically search for a 2BR with a studio (or 1BR)...unless you sneak into it by requesting resorts with only 2BRs like cypress harbour or royal palms (or 3BRs like imperial palms).

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't sweat it

I'm getting a headache reading all this stuff-- the kids will be four and less than two. At this stage, it really doesn't matter.

Another year or two down the road, consider what the kids will enjoy. At this point, it's what Mom and Dad and the grandparents will find comfortable and easy to use.

All of the properties are made for families. Most are kid friendly (granted some more so than others-- but a one year old is not going to care. The kids will be fine and happy no matter what).

Space is important so the little ones can nap/sleep and the adults can go into another room. Sabal, one of my favorites, has smaller second bedrooms. Anything else, you'll be fine.

SeaWorld is kid friendly-- plenty of places for strollers and seating at shows for adults to watch while kids nap. Plus it's close enough to all Marriott properties if you want to take a break for several hours.

Disney World is massive. Just getting to and from the parking lot takes time.
Yes, you'll want that picture with Mickey or Minnie. But remember it will not be easy to leave and come back. Yes, we took ours that young, but one or two days will be enough. Unfortunately, they have it rigged that a one or two day ticket is the most expensive. Plus, it's getting complicated to go. You have to book restaurant and even ride reservations in advance-- even in the slow season. All of that leaves little room for adjustments if kids get tired/sleepy and need a break.

Universal-- In many ways, it's now better than Disney. But I don't recommend for that young.

Again, don't sweat it. Go and relax. The kids will enjoy anything. You have a timeshare-- you can go back. :)