• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does WPORV have event weeks?

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know WKORV(N) has week 51 and 52 for event weeks, but does the same hold true for WPORV or can you book 51 and 52 as a float owner?

Also, I believe it was discussed before, but is there an added benefit to owning a fixed week at WPORV?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Week 51 & 52 were sold as fixed weeks - only the owners of those weeks can reserve them.

Personally, I would not buy at WPORV at all - the MF's are excessive, it's a poor rental, it's a voluntary resort, and it's an easy trade through II, and an easier Staroption exchange.

Don't get me wrong - Kauai is my favorite island and I love this resort, but it's not a good value to own.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Unlike Denise - we love WPORV, and like many here - enjoy our ownership.
Would I prefer the MFs to be less, or the resale value to be more? Of course...
Would we own KBV (Denise's choice) even for free? No.
YMMV

Btw - to answer your question - WPORV does have event weeks - which is what you were asking...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I agree - it's a beautiful resort, on the best island.

But I traded in to WPORV through II, with my SDO one bedroom where the MF is only $784 - and I got a 2 bdm. at WPORV.

It's even easier to trade in with Staroptions.

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have traded a 1 bedroom SDO for a 2 bedroom at WPORV as well, but I am reaching a point with my schedule where I need to book things with more guarantee. We also love the resort, and even with the high MF, see the value in ownership there.

I've been randomly looking for an EOY there, but may start looking more seriously in the very near future.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to be sure we are on the same page, do you know that the MF is about $2,700 per use year?

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know. It's spendy, but still less than package prices through Costco and such. We would book 2 weeks -- studio one week and 1 bedroom the next. So, I look at it more as $1400/week or $200/night.

I probably spend a good 4-5 hours checking II (even w/ an OGS) over the course of a few months. My projected hourly rate of pay is $150/hour, so that would be a $750 savings.

Peace of mind is worth something too -- so, it's practically free! lol

All kidding aside, I do see your point, Denise, but I also see DavidnRobin's point too and tend to lean in that direction.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even though the MF is high, the upside is that it will be inexpensive to buy, and I'm sure you will enjoy your vacations there.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
My previous point was some people on TUG, based on numerous posts, like their WPORV weeks, and location of resort.

MFs are high - but it is a high-end resort, and HOA balance sheet is strong.

Event weeks have a premium.
you can fix/fix some WPORV weeks for ~20% more.
I considered it for a particular villa, but $10-15K too much.

if you intend to use it, and plan ahead by 12 months to get top villas - it could be worth buying on resale market. I would not recommend buying from SVO unless under strict considerations (and use of fuzzy math to justify). IMO

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dave - you get no argument from me - it's a great resort. My criticism is only about the financials.

lawboy2001

Reaction score
I know. It's spendy, but still less than package prices through Costco and such. We would book 2 weeks -- studio one week and 1 bedroom the next. So, I look at it more as $1400/week or $200/night.

I probably spend a good 4-5 hours checking II (even w/ an OGS) over the course of a few months. My projected hourly rate of pay is $150/hour, so that would be a $750 savings.

Peace of mind is worth something too -- so, it's practically free! lol

All kidding aside, I do see your point, Denise, but I also see DavidnRobin's point too and tend to lean in that direction.

I second this. I see value in the better guarantee of a booking, and the better guarantee of a superb view, that booking at a home resort provides. Yes, other options may be cheaper, but I don't live my life by going after only the cheapest option.

I'd be interested in hearing how you make out if you make an offer. (I'm also looking at a WPORV EOY.) SVO has been exercising ROFR like crazy over the past year. Many of the EOY contracts are priced at 5-7k which up until a year ago would be a fair price, but now, I'm fearful that Starwood would exercise ROFR at those prices....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just so you know, this resort has no deeded views - All units are deeded "island view."

Last edited:

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
I know WKORV(N) has week 51 and 52 for event weeks, but does the same hold true for WPORV or can you book 51 and 52 as a float owner?

Also, I believe it was discussed before, but is there an added benefit to owning a fixed week at WPORV?

We are part of the crowd who love WPORV and would rather go there than WKORV.

Although there are no deeded views there are deeded rooms with OF views.

We love the view from the second floor of the "hammerheads" (Bldg 3,6 & 7). Our first TS purchase was from the developer pre-build. Not the best economic decision but with the help of Tug we have been able to buy resales, requal and trade equity for fixed weeks-fixed rooms/views at WPORV and love what we now own. We Have 3 X 2BR EOY "Fixed/Fixed" weeks.

As you no doubt know the majority of tuggers prefer WKORV.

YMMV

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Although there are no deeded views there are deeded rooms with OF views.

If you buy from the developer, you can "fix" a unit or week for an additional 20%.

I'm not sure if that transfers to the new owner if you buy on the resale market.

Last edited:

pathways25

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you buy from the developer, you can "fix" a unit or week for an additional 20%.

I'm not sure if that transfers to the new owner if you buy on the resale market.

It's 10% to fix the week and another 10% to fix the unit (after you've fixed the week).

Yes, it transfers to the new owner as it is described in the deed.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So if you could find one on the resale market, that had already been fixed - that would be a great deal. Personally, I would not want a fixed week, but a fixed (prime) view would be great.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I doubt you can fix the unit without fixing the week.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I doubt you can fix the unit without fixing the week.

Correct - week first and then unit - 10% premium for both.
As mentioned, I almost did this for a particular unit (IMO - best at WPORV) and was going to take week 35. Got a reasonable deal as SVO goes, but too expensive, and I only had 81K to requal (I tried to have them requal 81Kx2 since they were M resorts anyway... Nope)

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct - week first and then unit - 10% premium for both.

To clarify ("for both" can be read in different ways), that's 10% premium for each of week and unit, so a total premium of 20%

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
To clarify ("for both" can be read in different ways), that's 10% premium for each of week and unit, so a total premium of 20%

I corrected above - actually I think it is 21% - 10% on top of 10% - not that it matters in scope of costs.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Of course, if these were sold resale, SW would ROFR them.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ValleyGirl above said she bought resale twice with fixed week/fixed unit...

I believe she got them from the developer as part of requalifying:

we have been able to buy resales, requal and trade equity for fixed weeks-fixed rooms/views at WPORV