• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yellowstone traffic nightmare

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Talking to friends last night, who'd just come from Yellowstone. As they approached Madison Junction from the North, a Bison was just sauntering along the middle of the road. A Ranger was trying to manage traffic which was backed up for miles to the North. As the bison got to the junction, it decided to head toward W. Yellowstone. Traffic was backed up out the Park entrance and through town. Over 12 miles. Yellowstone is experiencing unprecedented visitor volume this year- probably due to cheap (relatively) gas prices and pent-up demand.

If you're coming to Yellowstone/Glacier/Grand Teton this summer, keep your impatience in check. There's a lot of us and we're loving the parks to death.

Jim

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Talking to friends last night, who'd just come from Yellowstone. As they approached Madison Junction from the North, a Bison was just sauntering along the middle of the road. A Ranger was trying to manage traffic which was backed up for miles to the North. As the bison got to the junction, it decided to head toward W. Yellowstone. Traffic was backed up out the Park entrance and through town. Over 12 miles. Yellowstone is experiencing unprecedented visitor volume this year- probably due to cheap (relatively) gas prices and pent-up demand.

If you're coming to Yellowstone/Glacier/Grand Teton this summer, keep your impatience in check. There's a lot of us and we're loving the parks to death.

Jim

And please . . . respect the regulations on how close you can get to the wildlife! There have already been several incidents including bisons goring visitors who are stupid, trying to get photos with smartphones and iPads. If you want photos, get a decent camera and be sure to be a safe distance from the animals!

Here's a great article that EVERY visitor to Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP should have to read.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
And please . . . respect the regulations on how close you can get to the wildlife! There have already been several incidents including bisons goring visitors who are stupid, trying to get photos with smartphones and iPads. If you want photos, get a decent camera and be sure to be a safe distance from the animals!

Here's a great article that EVERY visitor to Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP should have to read.

Darwin Theory! More jobs and food for the rest of us!!!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Darwin Theory! More jobs and food for the rest of us!!!

Unfortunately, when people do stupid things and the animals react like . . . well . . . like animals should . . . they are usually the ones that lose their lives!

Feeding and approaching animals cannot be tolerated . . . ever!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Nonthinking tourists in places like Yellowstone often mistake the animal's lack of fear for tameness. Just because an animal doesn't run away from you doesn't mean it wants to be your friend.

It definitely is a Darwin Award moment, but it isn't the animal's fault if people do stupid stuff. I'll never forget the idiot I saw trying to put his toddler on the back of a bison so they could get a picture. Incredible!

Dave

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, when people do stupid things and the animals react like . . . well . . . like animals should . . . they are usually the ones that lose their lives!

Feeding and approaching animals cannot be tolerated . . . ever!

I agree with this, of course.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nonthinking tourists in places like Yellowstone often mistake the animal's lack of fear for tameness. Just because an animal doesn't run away from you doesn't mean it wants to be your friend.

It definitely is a Darwin Award moment, but it isn't the animal's fault if people do stupid stuff. I'll never forget the idiot I saw trying to put his toddler on the back of a bison so they could get a picture. Incredible!

Dave

Geez, was anyone yelling at the guy to get away and stop this idiot act?

I realize some may not agree with me, but I have never felt it was right to kill a wild animal when people are hurt or killed when they encroach on the animal's territory. An animal who has a lack of fear of humans is likely a more dangerous animal.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Geez, was anyone yelling at the guy to get away and stop this idiot act?

I realize some may not agree with me, but I have never felt it was right to kill a wild animal when people are hurt or killed when they encroach on the animal's territory. An animal who has a lack of fear of humans is likely a more dangerous animal.

Think of the politics involved. Any law enforcement or wildlife official would lose his job due to popular uproar if the "offending" animal weren't put down but they instead explained that the "victim" had encroached on the animal's territory.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Think of the politics involved. Any law enforcement or wildlife official would lose his job due to popular uproar if the "offending" animal weren't put down but they instead explained that the "victim" had encroached on the animal's territory.

Of course, I understand--you are 'preaching to the choir'. Politics rule. That doesn't make it right, which is why I posted that not all will agree with me. Meanwhile, there are signs all over the place to respect distance with wildlife, yet idiots just do idiotic things.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From The Everglades

10464288_10202260664579025_6530541299067452516_n.jpg

Amazing how ignorant folks can be. He was trying to pose so his wife could take his photo with this gator.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope things will be calmed down by sept. Hopefully less tourists. Dumb ass question. If I am driving down the road and a bison decides he wants the road can I go around it if it is safe. How do u let a ranger know of animal traffic??

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I hope things will be calmed down by sept. Hopefully less tourists. Dumb ass question. If I am driving down the road and a bison decides he wants the road can I go around it if it is safe. How do u let a ranger know of animal traffic??

It'll be your judgment call whether to try and drive around them in the roadway. The roads are kind of narrow, and most don't have a shoulder. If a bison wants to take a break in front of you, there may not be anything you can do but wait.

But my experience is that most bison don't stand IN the roadway - they travel across the roadway, along the side of the roadway, and generally just want to get from Point A to Point B, which may or may not include crossing over the roadway.

Chances are you'll be in a line of cars if there is an animal traffic jam, so you may not have an option to go around.

You don't need to notify the Rangers about animals in the roadway. They don't generally care, unless there is something really major going on. And odds are by the time they got to the location, the animals would have moved on anyway. Cell phone service in the Park is spotty, at best.

You're going to have a ton of fun in September. Great time to visit!

Dave

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

No need to let the rangers know . . . they happen daily, throughout the park where the bison roam.

Sometimes the bison "jam" looks like this:
486490_3385853846126_2112971879_n.jpg

. . . and other times, they may stay to the side/shoulder of the road:
243779_3385853886127_1256533022_o.jpg

During rut, the bulls may joust anywhere in the park:
3047_3385882406840_904277480_n.jpg

One my my favorite photos from inside of the jam . . . no vehicles were moving because there were bison EVERYwhere!
526531_3389357813723_1374998901_n.jpg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Great pictures, Von!

Dave

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Wow, Yvonne, great pictures. Two bulls fighting right on the road. That's definitely a case where you wouldn't want to try to sneak around them with your vehicle :D

Greg

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
WOW. Nice pictures !!! I wonder where the tourist is that needs the selfie of themself and the bison butting heads. :D

Bill

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Along those same lines, in Glacier National Park I saw a couple taking a selfie way up on Going to the Sun Road with the mountains in the background standing on the stone guard rail where it was almost a sheer drop off on the other side. One minor distraction, you lose your balance, and over the side you go.

Greg

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the kind words about the photos I shared.

Speaking of dumb people with cameras . . .

11813454_10204744645196988_3495564800161855654_n.jpg

This couple was trying to get photos of a black bear with two first year cubs. The bears were less than 10 yards away, having slipped into the brush immediately in front of them. (Yellowstone 2012)

Last edited:

uop1497

Reaction score
Last year, when our family visited Yellowstone Park . We stop our car because of a group of bison stand on the side of the road. Then a couple of them began walk onto the road . Then more bison followed to cross the road.

Suddenly, one a large bison walked across in front of our car . WE were excited to saw it in very close view , but I felt very uncomfortable . I was worried that just one wrong move, the bison may react wildly and it could damage the rental car . I asked my husband to back up the car a little . And DH told me to look behind our car. As I turned my head, I saw another Bison stood on the road, next to the car's trunk . Our car was sandwich between 2 large bisons

Oh boy, I felt very nervous the whole time . Maybe only 15- 20 minutes long for the bison to move on, but it seems like many hours .

We love to see wild animals, but prefer not that close . :)

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last year, when our family visited Yellowstone Park . We stop our car because of a group of bison stand on the side of the road. Then a couple of them began walk onto the road . Then more bison followed to cross the road.

Suddenly, one a large bison walked across in front of our car . WE were excited to saw it in very close view , but I felt very uncomfortable . I was worried that just one wrong move, the bison may react wildly and it could damage the rental car . I asked my husband to back up the car a little . And DH told me to look behind our car. As I turned my head, I saw another Bison stood on the road, next to the car's trunk . Our car was sandwich between 2 large bisons

Oh boy, I felt very nervous the whole time . Maybe only 15- 20 minutes long for the bison to move on, but it seems like many hours .

We love to see wild animals, but prefer not that close . :)

While riding in a truck with my friend Nancy, as we approached the bison jam she told me not to look them in the eye as that would be considered challenging them and they might attack the car. Nothing happened, but I did chuckle about it.

I am always way more fearful of the elk, especially the males at rut in the fall. There are dozens of videos on YouTube of them ramming vehicles in Yellowstone NP.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am always way more fearful of the elk, especially the males at rut in the fall. There are dozens of videos on YouTube of them ramming vehicles in Yellowstone NP.

I've seen that happen at Mammoth Hot Springs, at the north end of the Park. Stupid tourists pulled up way too close to a rutting elk, who decided their car was a great jousting opponent. I doubt the insurance company was pleased with the damage.

Dave

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH was at a fishing area near Yellowstone, but out of the park, and was headed home (slowly on a dirt road) in his pickup. A large bull elk came out of the brush and started running alongside the pickup and whacking it with his antlers.
Luckily, no real damage to the P/U nor the elk and he fairly quickly just retreated.