• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Club Intrawest sold to Diamond Resorts

Sattva

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone get this yet??

Dear Member,

Today, Intrawest ULC announced its intention to sell Club Intrawest, its vacation ownership business, to Diamond Resorts International. We anticipate this transaction will be completed in the first quarter of 2016, when we officially become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Diamond Resorts.

Diamond Resorts International® has more than 350 vacation destinations located in 34 countries throughout the continental United States, Hawaii, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, South America, Central America, Europe, Asia, Australasia and Africa.

We recognize the value of your Membership, and we want you to rest assured that your Membership is secure and you will continue to enjoy the vacation lifestyle you deserve. Any future confirmed reservations that you have, at any Club Intrawest resort, Interval International resort, or as part of your Extraordinary Escapes Membership, will not be changed and there is no need to call to check the status of your booking. For all new reservations, please continue to book on the Web site or contact Member Services at 1-800-767-2166 as you have before.

We believe becoming part of Diamond Resorts is an important and necessary step in our Club's growth and evolution. We are certain this sale will add value to your Membership. As part of the Diamond Resorts network, we will be at the forefront of our industry, offering you and your family even more choices for unique and memorable vacations.

Thank you for your continued loyalty, passion and commitment. We are excited about our future with Diamond Resorts. We will update you as more details become available. To view today's press release, click here.

See you at the Club,

Trevor Bruno,
President

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
Yes, just got this and wondering how this will impact us. I've never been to a Diamond resort in all my years of exchanges. They certainly haven't been top-of-mind for me as destinations. I'll definitely have to do some research.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
DRI must have some deep money pockets.

Michael1991

Reaction score

Diamond is paying only $85 million for the whole thing. Their net earnings last year were $59.4 million and they gave an additional $100 million to stock owners in the form of buy-backs. This year they're giving another 100 million to stock owners. They seem to be doing quit well from a financial point of view.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Maybe I Should Buy Stock.

Diamond has caught on that building inventory for sale by moving pieces of paper is quicker, easier, & cheaper than doing it by moving brick & steel & lumber & furniture, etc.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

jmparker98223

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time imagining that this will result in any additional benefits for the CI Member/Owners except perhaps in higher maintenance fees. Everyone that I know that has DRI wants out. there are many DRI memberships for sale on the Classified here...

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
While DRI works for my wife and I we would not recommend them to anyone now. One of the other timeshare companies we own with was just purchased by DRI and we have not gotten much information other than DRI has taken over.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I just got rid of my DRI "Monarch grand" by paying DRI $250 to take it back.

Now DRI buys out CI and I'm DRI owner again :confused:

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I just got rid of my DRI "Monarch grand" by paying DRI $250 to take it back.

Now DRI buys out CI and I'm DRI owner again :confused:

Maybe DRI can now buy back CI points? If so, I'm interested.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

DanZale2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
No it most certainly is not too late. The Club's board must approve DRI as the new manager. That vote is January 15.

Bill4728

Reaction score
There are two things going on

First there is nothing anyone can do to stop Intrawest from selling their inventory to DRI AND DRI selling that inventory to the public

Second, Intrawest wants DRI to manage Club Intrawest that isn't something they can just do it does need to be approved by the BOD of the club ((and maybe by the members??)) but since most of the BOD have been hand picked by Intrawest it may go through too.

DanZale2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
... but since most of the BOD have been hand picked by Intrawest it may go through too.

Three of the five board members are Intrawest employees. They will abstain from this vote. The decision is up to the two independent (or perhaps semi-independent) board members.

Edit:
Dear Member,
[snip]
With respect to the transfer of the Management Agreement, the two Independent Directors on the Club Intrawest Board of Directors will be meeting with Diamond to review their proposal. I understand that there is a concern from the Membership that the three Members of the Board that are employees of Intrawest, ULC will also vote with respect to the transfer of the Management Agreement. This is not the case. As Intrawest, ULC is one of the entities involved in this sale, the Board Directors that are employees of Intrawest will abstain from voting. Only the two Independent Directors will be voting with respect to the transfer of the Management Agreement.
Please continue to monitor your email for updated information.
Sincerely,
Trevor Bruno
President
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=970528216318949&id=967749609930143

Last edited:

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
okay I sent it to my brother and a friend who owns CI..

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I owned at Powhatan and Greensprings in Williamsburg. Sunterra sold to DRI and my maintenance fees skyrocketed over night (well almost). One year it went up 23% in one big leap. They have nice resorts but you pay for it! When I bought Greensprings my MF was $485 for a 4 br lockout. This year when I deeded it back to DRI it rose to $1600.

DanZale2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a very interesting thread. I hope people keep posting what happens. Three years ago we went to a DRI presentation. DRI clearly has exceeding deep pockets and seems to want to corner the timeshare market.