• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Helicopter tours on Maui and Kauai

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I get terrible motion sickness but wonder if this would be doable after taking Bonine or Dramamine. Anyone have an experience with this?

Hawaii does have some fierce winds, so I can see why flying in a helicopter could be more hair raising than, say, the Grand Canyon. However, I'm not worried about the danger at this point in my life. The kids are nearly grown and would be fine without us. I want to live while I'm alive. I had a different perspective 10 years ago.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
This thread is killing me. From my informal research.

Since 1997, there have been about 17 helicopter accidents/22 fatalities involving Hawaiian Helicopter tour operators. This from operations that span 5 islands, 8-10 hours a day, up to 365 days a year.

One of the major helicopter operators currently fly's around 40,000 hours per year. One operator--40,000 hours (at an average of around 1.0 hours per flight.) There are around 80-100 traffic fatalities per year in HI, 50 fire deaths and around 25 murders. You figure the odds...

I was going to say you're more likely to be struck by lighting, but there are no reported lighting strikes/deaths in HI from what I can find.

Fly with a major operator. Fly the EC130, Hughes 500/MD500/MD900 or Bell 204/206/407/427 etc... Avoid the R44/22 (my opinion). Go early(er) in the day, avoid flying on days with strong winds, thunderstorms, heavy rain or dense fog (obvious stuff I guess). Speak with the operator (pilot or chief pilot or ???). Explain your concerns and specifically ask for a less aggressive/dramatic flight if you feel it's warranted.

You should be more worried about the crappy rental car you are stuffed into while driving in the Waimea canyon IMHO.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I get terrible motion sickness but wonder if this would be doable after taking Bonine or Dramamine. Anyone have an experience with this?

Hawaii does have some fierce winds, so I can see why flying in a helicopter could be more hair raising than, say, the Grand Canyon. However, I'm not worried about the danger at this point in my life. The kids are nearly grown and would be fine without us. I want to live while I'm alive. I had a different perspective 10 years ago.

If you get 'terrible' motion sickness, you might have issues. But, if you decide to do it (with Dramamine etc..):

• riding forward (not backward) is usually better
  • riding in the front (window seat) and looking outside is better
  • looking inside, looking down/at phone/at camera is usually worse.
  • avoid big/rapid head movements
  • talk to the operator and request a 'more quiet' flight (morning, good weather etc...). Get a sickness bag...just in case. Being prepared and acknowledging that 'just because I get sick, it won't ruin the flight" is a huge step.
  • Consider a flight in the EC130; quiet cool and roomy with good windows. Pay a bit more and get a dedicated window seat.
  • fly with earphones and good background music--many find the music is calming and keeps your mind distracted (pilot may be talking in headset too....so maybe one ear?)
Just some thoughts. It really is a once in a lifetime experience and totally worth it from my experience. Others may disagree.
ps: We flew on a relatively 'less calm' day and didn't find the ride to be uncomfortable. That was in a smaller helicopter (md900).
Avoid the R44 flights. MO

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We are heading to Kauai and doing a doors off flight Monday afternoon...

Guess if my posts suddenly stop, you will all know it went horribly wrong...

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Ha!

We did the doors-off tour last year (MD900). It was wonderful. Really. I've got a bunch of time in helos and still loved every minute. It was a very safe and professional operation.
A few tips for the doors-off flight:

• it's windy and cold--you need something on your arms or you'll be cold over the mtn's. Slightly sunburnt daughter in sleeveless dress and windbreaker was shivering, but happy!
  • Anything loose on your body will blow around--a lot. Jewelry, glasses, loose flappy collars/scarves etc... headset keeps glasses on, but just barely if you lean out for photos!
  • Straps needed for ANYTHING you put out into the slipstream. Tailrotors don't like FOD.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm betting you will love it!

taffy19

Reaction score
Ha!

We did the doors-off tour last year (MD900). It was wonderful. Really. I've got a bunch of time in helos and still loved every minute. It was a very safe and professional operation.
A few tips for the doors-off flight:

• it's windy and cold--you need something on your arms or you'll be cold over the mtn's. Slightly sunburnt daughter in sleeveless dress and windbreaker was shivering, but happy!
  • Anything loose on your body will blow around--a lot. Jewelry, glasses, loose flappy collars/scarves etc... headset keeps glasses on, but just barely if you lean out for photos!
  • Straps needed for ANYTHING you put out into the slipstream. Tailrotors don't like FOD.
They warn you not to stick out your arm or you may break it. They also recommend a strap for the camera or it will fly away. They let me lend a strap for my iPhone and one time I reached out a little too far and the strap saved my iPhone. My new iPhone doesn't have a case that you can put a strap on so you may have to bring a real camera or buy a cheap case that has a hole somewhere to put the strap through. You really need it.

A light jacket or windbreaker is a good idea and put it on before you go in the helicopter because you are double strapped in if you sit next to the open door so you can't put it on during the flight.

Let us know how it went and share a movie clip or picture, please. You will love it. I don't remember if they gave us or we had to buy a DVD of a similar flight so you have a memory, if you don't take pictures yourself. You may be going with a different company as you didn't say.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
This thread is killing me. From my informal research.

Since 1997, there have been about 17 helicopter accidents/22 fatalities involving Hawaiian Helicopter tour operators. This from operations that span 5 islands, 8-10 hours a day, up to 365 days a year.

One of the major helicopter operators currently fly's around 40,000 hours per year. One operator--40,000 hours (at an average of around 1.0 hours per flight.) There are around 80-100 traffic fatalities per year in HI, 50 fire deaths and around 25 murders. You figure the odds...

I was going to say you're more likely to be struck by lighting, but there are no reported lighting strikes/deaths in HI from what I can find.

Fly with a major operator. Fly the EC130, Hughes 500/MD500/MD900 or Bell 204/206/407/427 etc... Avoid the R44/22 (my opinion). Go early(er) in the day, avoid flying on days with strong winds, thunderstorms, heavy rain or dense fog (obvious stuff I guess). Speak with the operator (pilot or chief pilot or ???). Explain your concerns and specifically ask for a less aggressive/dramatic flight if you feel it's warranted.

You should be more worried about the crappy rental car you are stuffed into while driving in the Waimea canyon IMHO.

I agree with this 110%.

It drives me nuts when people are quick to say don't take helicopter tours because they read there was a crash. But then they don't advise not to rent a car because of the fatal head-on collisions that seem to happen every year on the narrow roads - particularly the road between Kahului and Lahaina on Maui.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For the record, i survived the trip..:wave: It was great way to see different parts of the island in a short amount of time.

I would definitely do it again.. The biggest issue is probably the cost.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Here are some photos from a "doors off" helicopter ride on Kauai about 10 years ago. Flew out of Port Allen on the west side:

Napali Coast

20050618_Hawaii-Kauai_5326-XL.jpg

I think this is Ke'e Beach, but not sure. But it sure is scenic...

20050618_Hawaii-Kauai_5345-XL.jpg

The waterfall used in the opening of Jurassic Park

20050618_Hawaii-Kauai_5381-X2.jpg

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Here are a few from a fixed wing flight on Maui in 2008. I'm a private pilot so we rented a Cessna 172 at Kahului Airport and did our own tour. I took along a local instructor to avoid the necessity of paying for the required check-out flight to take the plane solo. He was also able to take the controls when I wanted to take a picture since I was writing about and photographing the flight for an aviation magazine article.

First, Kahakuloa Head on northwest coast of Maui

20080619_Hawaii2008_7249-XL.jpg

Next, near Nakalele Point, northwest Maui

20080619_Hawaii2008_7266-XL.jpg

Next, Molokai sea cliffs

20080619_Hawaii2008_7335-XL.jpg

Lahaina and the West Maui mountains

20080619_Hawaii2008_7410-XL.jpg

We did a brief air-to-air formation flight with another Cessna for the magazine piece. This is along the Hana Highway

20080619_Hawaii2008_7159-XL.jpg

On final approach to Hana airport

20080619_Hawaii2008_7116-XL.jpg

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Very nice pics. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Great pics.

Greg

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fantastic pics, thanks for sharing

zsn

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fantastic pics!! Well, if the weather is going to be that great, we think we'll do the doors-off flight! Will let you all know how it went.

Thanks again, to one and all for your valuable insights!

zsn

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did the doors-off tour with Jack Harter in Kauai. One of the most professional organizations I have dealt with. An amazing experience, and would gladly do it again, and as mentioned earlier, price would be the only consideration. As our kids put it "YOLO". If you think about it, on a per-minute basis, considerably cheaper than parasailing or ziplining. At no time did we feel unsafe.

Couldn't have picked a more perfect day, and it was absolutely enjoyable - definitely the highlight of our trip. Thanks again, for everyone's input!!

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I hope you've had a great belated honeymoon and birthday vacation!

Last edited:

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
My gosh, reading this thread makes it seem like half the helicopter flights go down in flames!

As for a recommended company, I have heard the best things about Blue Hawaiian. And for what it is worth, many of the best cruise lines use Blue Hawaiian for their helicopter shore excursions.

I think they are the biggest and they have newer helicopters. Some of the best scenery is flying along the north shore of Molikai. You have to take a flight out of Maui to do that. The cliffs go straight up from the ocean, lots of water falls and coves that the helicopter can fly into. But don't book more than a day in advance and make sure a have a good report for good weather.

Kapolei

Reaction score
I think they are the biggest and they have newer helicopters. Some of the best scenery is flying along the north shore of Molikai. You have to take a flight out of Maui to do that. The cliffs go straight up from the ocean, lots of water falls and coves that the helicopter can fly into. But don't book more than a day in advance and make sure a have a good report for good weather.

A group met their death on one of those.

I would not not get into a helicopter unless I did my own review of the weather, the flight plan, and a discussion of any concerns with the pilot. Once in the air, the pilot gets to make all decisions. Before I get in the bird, I get to make the final call on whether I will be included cargo.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
the blades, tailboom, tailrotor all look intact. Skids spread, but that's what they're designed to do. Seems like most of them flew away without serious injury.

feel sorry for the one passenger with back injuries, but not a bad outcome really

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the traffic fatality statistics are on Kauai, and how likely it is to get hurt driving from Princeville to the airport. Or driving from home to the airport to fly to Hawaii.

It might be surprising to compare them with the probability from getting hurt in an aircraft accident.

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm as adventurous as they come, but I draw the line at helicopter tours in Hawaii. I have no rational defense, but I'm glad some of you all have braved it out and taken some wonderful photos.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Helicopter safety is a concern, but so is traffic safety, and ocean safety. By ocean safety I don't mean sharks, I mean drowning. Too many tourists drown in Hawaii each year. Before swimming or snorkeling in the ocean, study up on all the safety tips.

Now, I'm getting off the safety soap box, and saying that I did doors on and doors off helicopter flights over Kauai. I would definitely recommend a company that does doors off. DW has a fear of heights and amazingly, she greatly enjoyed the doors off flight. For both of us, it was the thrill of a lifetime, but we probably won't do it again.

Kapolei

Reaction score
I wonder what the traffic fatality statistics are on Kauai, and how likely it is to get hurt driving from Princeville to the airport. Or driving from home to the airport to fly to Hawaii.

It might be surprising to compare them with the probability from getting hurt in an aircraft accident.

For an accurate analysis, you need to compare probability of death for someone that just drives from the airport to probability of death of someone that drives from the airport and also participates in other hazardous activities. (Also, as the driver you get to act in a way that reduces risk. So you may have lower risk than the norm).

The experts at this are those that provide life insurance. In most cases, you will be charged more, if you fly aircraft for recreation. Now, helicopters are not the most dangerous of birds. I would say those ultralight kite things are the worst. I would not venture out in one of those while on my holiday.

Last edited: