• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Daytona

JeffandJamie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Originally, my wife and I were planning to take her entire family (9 of us, including 2 kids under 2) to Bonnet Creek for a week in September 2016. Plans have now changed, and we're thinking about a week in Daytona instead. Theme park tickets are expensive for 7 adults. :)

So all my research about Bonnet Creek is not necessary right now, and I'd like to learn all I can about Daytona. Is a 4BR unit likely to be available if I book right away at 10 months out? We're looking to check in the Saturday before Labor Day. Are there certain floors or areas that are better than others? Any suggestions on things to do besides the beach and the racetrack?

For what it's worth, we chose Daytona because of its proximity to Orlando as we will be using Southwest points for all the flights and there is a great direct flight from Akron/Canton in Ohio to Orlando. Easy travel with kids.

Also, is it 10 months to the day that I can book? So November 3 opens up September 3? I've never had to be this strategic in my booking before.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their suggestions and help!

Jeff

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Daytona has an International Airport too, check to see if you can fly into Daytona directly. Traffic will be heavy on Labor Day Weekend. Just a suggestion!
Silentg

JeffandJamie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Southwest unfortunately does not fly to Daytona, so we'll be driving from Orlando. I looked into flying straight to Daytona, but it doesn't work.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If there is a 4 bedroom presidential available I will book it at 7am. The resort only has 2 so they are very hard to come by.

WeLovetoTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. If your plans fall during a race week or special event week it will be next to impossible to get a 4 br unit. The resort only has a few of them. The 3 br units are very spacious, if that would work for you. Kids are fine on a sleeper sofa! Also, if you want to steer clear of Orlando and Daytona is booked, think about Pompano. The beach is beautiful and it's a fun area to vacation in too. You could easily drive from Orlando, or fly in to FLL.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The BEACH area resort in Pompano only have 2/2 max size units. The Palm Aire resort has 3bdr units ... but again very few. Plus Palm Aire is a car ride of 6 or 6 miles from PA.

Daytona International Airport is only in existence (basicly) due to Emory Riddle University (a major, major flight/air industry educational player) IMHO. It does have a commercial airplane with regular passengers every day or so.

I flew in & out of that airport for several years in the early 1970s on Eastern Airline ... when MCO was McCoy Air Force Base and Orlando Airport was a private plane air park. And Jacksonville Airport did not exist either (most likely also a former military air station).

Daytona Beach is a great (beach) area for kids ... about an hour north of the NASA. And 25 minutes to the west is where many manatees live around Blues Spring State park. There is a ocean pier of "Stuff" for the kids to spend your money on ... just hold out to the last day. And for the weird, take a drive over to Cassadegra .... don't go near bedtime or if the kids have ghost-like nightmares. Basicly, really older homes (shacks) with palm readers and crystal balls & tea rooms (and cemeteries - enter at your own risk).

The Speedway TRACK has tours and driver "experiences" for the adults. My California niece WHINED about stopping but she loved the gift shop and was actually sorry we were too late to take a track tour.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We love Daytona Beach.

You are going at a great time. We rented a 4 BR Presidential and some 3 BR's this year for our family reunion the last week of August. It's still warm and the crowds are gone. I will say I was a little disappointed in the room, it's ready for a remodel. But it's the beach, that's what you are there for, and Daytona is our favorite. Ocean Walk's pools and lazy river are pretty awesome, too.

Ditto everything Linda said (except I learned a few things and now I need to go back).

I'll add one more thing we love to do - Ponce De Leon Springs in Deland. There's an old sugar mill, pancake house, there are hot springs you can swim in (but the ocean was warmer).

The 4BR and 3BR are ocean front, so if you can't snag a 4 BR, hopefully a 3BR will work. I'm sure you can grab a 3BR at the 10 month mark.

We flew in and out of Orlando (SW), it's not bad. It's a busy airport, plan to be there early when you fly home. Jacksonville might work too. You can get some great deals on rental cars in Orlando.

Good luck.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
JAX is straight down I-95 to Daytona Beach ... about a 100 miles ... in FLA speed on I-95 about 30 minutes. ;):rolleyes:

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think there are any races scheduled in September and we can usually get a Daytona reservation even on short notice in September. October and November are not easy. Don't know about a 4 BR though. You have to hope someone with ARP didn't want them.

JeffandJamie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. We booked two 2BR units today, supposedly right next door to each other, on the 18th floor. They also said that they are oceanfront units, so hopefully that is true as well.

Thanks again!

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. We booked two 2BR units today, supposedly right next door to each other, on the 18th floor. They also said that they are oceanfront units, so hopefully that is true as well.

Thanks again!
They will be ocean front and a wonderful view. I only hope that, if you are in the South tower, you don't regret being on the top floor. Someone staying up there told me he had to listen to all the air conditioners running on the roof all night long.

trueblue70

Reaction score
For future reference:

JetBlue will be flying out of Daytona starting in February 2016. I know for sure there will be direct flights to NY. I believe you can check their website to the cities they will be flying in and out of.

The BEACH area resort in Pompano only h

ave 2/2 max size units. The Palm Aire resort has 3bdr units ... but again very few. Plus Palm Aire is a car ride of 6 or 6 miles from PA.

Daytona International Airport is only in existence (basicly) due to Emory Riddle University (a major, major flight/air industry educational player) IMHO. It does have a commercial airplane with regular passengers every day or so.

I flew in & out of that airport for several years in the early 1970s on Eastern Airline ... when MCO was McCoy Air Force Base and Orlando Airport was a private plane air park. And Jacksonville Airport did not exist either (most likely also a former military air station).

Daytona Beach is a great (beach) area for kids ... about an hour north of the NASA. And 25 minutes to the west is where many manatees live around Blues Spring State park. There is a ocean pier of "Stuff" for the kids to spend your money on ... just hold out to the last day. And for the weird, take a drive over to Cassadegra .... don't go near bedtime or if the kids have ghost-like nightmares. Basicly, really older homes (shacks) with palm readers and crystal balls & tea rooms (and cemeteries - enter at your own risk).

The Speedway TRACK has tours and driver "experiences" for the adults. My California niece WHINED about stopping but she loved the gift shop and was actually sorry we were too late to take a track tour.