• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sales rep makes brutally honest statement

topcop400

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Wyndham Oceanside Pier
Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
I recently went to a sales presentation for Shell Vacation Club. After I told the rep that I owned three timeshares, and that were all purchased resale, she looked a little defeated.

She asked me what she would have to show me in order to interest me in a purchase. I told her it would have to make sense for me financially.

She said "Buying a timeshare is never going to make sense financially".

Wow. I was shocked.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Funny. So hard to reply to an 'honest' statement from a salesman.....

I think that's the definition of 'awkward moment' :confused:

hjtug

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
An interesting sales encounter

We spent a week at Shell Vacations Club Legacy Golf Resort in Phoenix recently to visit our son and his family. We own Wyndham points and traded through II. At the parking pass desk we were invited to a sales presentation. We were given a flyer (attached below) with the Wyndham logo making certain promises on such things as no high-pressure, hospitality, respect, etc. We gave it a try, giving up our time in return for an Amex card and were pleasantly surprised that the promises were pretty well kept. The event, at least for us, lasted less than the promised maximum of 90 minutes. Initially there was a 45 minute presentation on the frequently presented issue of vacation cost inflation and how making a timeshare purchase supposedly can avoid that. Then we chatted a bit with our salesperson and he readily accepted our position that we have all the timeshare ownership that we want and need.

The sales staff wore Wyndham name tags but were selling Shell weeks. It would be nice if all Wyndham sales pitches would follow this pattern.

View attachment legacy sale.pdf

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently went to a sales presentation for Shell Vacation Club. After I told the rep that I owned three timeshares, and that were all purchased resale, she looked a little defeated.

She asked me what she would have to show me in order to interest me in a purchase. I told her it would have to make sense for me financially.

She said "Buying a timeshare is never going to make sense financially".

Wow. I was shocked.

That is a statement that should be highlighted somewhere.

Don40

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Really, she should have said buying a timeshare retail never makes sense financially.

Ron, Bob and others have shown it can be very rewarding to buy a timeshare if done correctly.

livepast60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Retail offers during the sales pitch usually amount to giving the buyer the privilege of paying the equivalent of 20 years of maintenance fees up front in order to get the privilege of paying the maintenance fee again each year.
Resale purchases avoid the up-front 20 years to something reasonable.